“Well worth a visit”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Visited for the first time last week and great to find a chef who has given the menu some thought and has come up with some interesting dishes well prepared and full of flavour.Serving staff were very attentive without being intrusive and the restaurant was informal,stylish and comfortable.As the menu changes weekly I am looking forward to sampling the delights on offer over the coming months.If such a high standard is maintained will certainly take some beating.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked via Twitter and spent a most enjoyable evening at The Gallery. We had a couple of reasonably good cocktails and an excellent pint downstairs before being shown to our table upstairs in the tastefully-decorated dining room. The menu, which changes weekly, is interesting and good value at £23.50 for three courses. We were served rather good home-made breads as we waited for our starters - pear and Perl Las tart for me (did exactly what it said on the tin) and pigeon salad for him. The star of the show was definitely my main, mullet with cauliflower and black pudding. My partner sent his steak back as it wasn't how he had wanted it cooked - but another was served up quickly and with minimal fuss. Puddings were home-made and very good, particularly the salted caramel ice-cream served with my chocolate nemesis. The house wine is gluggable and excellent value at £8 for 50cl (£15 a litre). We had a rather good espresso martini before leaving.

Several reviewers have complained about the service but to us, though a few minor issues need to be resolved, we found the guy in charge and the waiting staff to be extremely personable and attentive. All in all, a very good night.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Last minute booking at the Gallery on Friday 30th August, What a pleasant restaurant, We arrived at 1930 and ordered drinks then went to our table. Slightly disappointed not to be sat in one of the booths but just be picky, The menu was a good choice and the fat its changed weekly is a nice idea, I had the 3 course vegetarian option, The starter was Fonmon Brule which was stunning, Main course Moroccan tagine, ok but slightly bland and desert was chocolate nemesis, very nice and rich desert. My friends had the pigeon and brule to start and steak and pork main, both thought it was very good food and very friendly service, I would more than happily visit again in the near future and take others with me, Very good restaurant I Barry which is about time. Well done and looking forward to visiting again soon. xx

Reviewed September 1, 2013

we visited on the 29th august to celebrate my older sons 34th bday. fantastic and interesting menu. 3 of us plumped for the lamb cofta starter, absolutely delicious, my partner the gratinated cod, and my younger son, having spent many years experiencing proper food in view that my step father was a butcher choose the pigeon and thoroughly enjoyed it. then four fillet steaks rossini and belly pork. this was some of the best food i have ever experienced in years, having been lucky enough to have been treated to many gastro pub meals in the Cotswolds over time by my parents. well done for bringing some good food to Barry at long last. cant wait to visit again. ps the service we received was excellent. the young lady who served us went to great lengths to explain the ingredients of each dish and the wine list was fab as well, well done guys lizzy b

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This restaurant is, as others have said, a welcome addition to the South Wales scene. But, and a big but, if it is is to succeed it urgently needs to get the “front of house” act together. I've visited twice with my family for Sunday lunch. On the first occasion, shortly after it opened I made some allowance for the slow and disorganised service. On a second recent visit service was woeful & amateurish from the start.
We were never offered a wine/drinks list just asked what do you want to drink? And from thereon things got worse. It took an hour from our arrival for the first course and then a further 30 minutes before the mains meandered to our table with vegetables bringing up the rear a few minutes later. There was a clear lack of organisation,with the (apparent) manager lurking in the empty bar downstairs when he would have have been better employed being “hands on” upstairs. The restaurant. was about ¾ full by the time we left.

So far I haven't mentioned the food which on this visit was below the standard we encountered on our first. It seemed to be overcooking day with beef olives done to a crisp accompanied by some grim overcooked vegetables. Starters were good, the desserts were average - the Eton mess relying heavily on off the shelf meringues. I haven't entirely given up on them yet but this enterprise needs to get its act together PDQ.