“Lovely clean beach”

Barry Island Pleasure Park
Ranked #3 of 14 things to do in Barry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Barry Island Pleasure Park. A funfair. Under new ownership. Fun for all the family at bargain prices
Reviewed July 23, 2013

On a really hot and sunny day, Barry Island beach was lovely. The kids had a whale of a time and even though it was busy, it was still virtually litter free. The shops were pretty much what you'd expect with the usual ice cream, chips, inflatables and general tat. Not my usual cup of tea, but we had a great day all the same.

All reviews
"jacksons bay"
in 9 reviews
"sandy beach"
in 11 reviews
"plenty of places to eat"
in 6 reviews
"public toilets"
"lovely place"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having read the reviews for this place I was a bit skeptical to come. However, my girlfriend wanted to go and fortunately she persuaded me. I came expecting a run down ghost town in all honesty. but instead it was very busy, clean and tidy. The weather was fantastic about 27c not a cloud in the sky. We relaxed by the beach had a little go in the arcades walked up the top of the cliff and got a nice view (plenty of beaches to sit down at and enjoy the view as well). Had a nice panini each for under £3 each. Then we went to the Dolphin Bar had something for tea and some drink. Felt very relaxed and it capped off a perfect day out.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have known and enjoyed Barry Island for about 65 years as my grandparent and parents lived in Barry since 1898! The front has been improved but the amusement park lets it down badly. There is an air of dereliction and shabbiness about this and even the staff seem little interested. Also the rides are ridiculously over-priced especially for families with young children (e.g. £2.25 for a 3-minute ride on a train roundabout!). It is a lovely bay with excellent sands and pretty safe bathing. I think the 'down market' feel is a great shame as it could and should be well maintained and attractive. Today I took my brother-in-law who had never been there before and he thought it was run down, but a lovely beach. Such a shame! Lets hope the council get a grip on it and insist on improvement. Apart from that it was a good day out for my grandson (3 years old) who really loved the beach!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Okay it might not be upmarket, but it is good old fashioned fun at the seaside, excellent well kept beach, fish & chips, ice creams, tidy prom with nice gardens and plenty of nearby parking. My wife and I had a great day on the beach, when the tide was in I went for a swim, of course it was cold but refreshing, we had plenty of choice of things to eat, it is not all fish & chips we had well made good value ham salad rolls from the corner cafe by the beach, one of many. It was great to see all the famalies having fun on the beach without any trouble, Barry is for famalies, no alcohol is permitted. We did go around the fun fair, the old town and fun fair is a bit run down and could do with a facelift but you can ignore this as the sea front looks really good and money has been spent to make it so.if you park in the large car park by the bridge, exit at the far end as the walk through the woods takes you right to the beach.

4  Thank kevin m