“Great day out at the seaside”

Barry Island Pleasure Park
Ranked #3 of 14 things to do in Barry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Barry Island Pleasure Park. A funfair. Under new ownership. Fun for all the family at bargain prices
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having read the reviews for this place I was a bit skeptical to come. However, my girlfriend wanted to go and fortunately she persuaded me. I came expecting a run down ghost town in all honesty. but instead it was very busy, clean and tidy. The weather was fantastic about 27c not a cloud in the sky. We relaxed by the beach had a little go in the arcades walked up the top of the cliff and got a nice view (plenty of beaches to sit down at and enjoy the view as well). Had a nice panini each for under £3 each. Then we went to the Dolphin Bar had something for tea and some drink. Felt very relaxed and it capped off a perfect day out.

All reviews
"jacksons bay"
in 9 reviews
"sandy beach"
in 11 reviews
"plenty of places to eat"
in 6 reviews
"public toilets"
"lovely place"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have known and enjoyed Barry Island for about 65 years as my grandparent and parents lived in Barry since 1898! The front has been improved but the amusement park lets it down badly. There is an air of dereliction and shabbiness about this and even the staff seem little interested. Also the rides are ridiculously over-priced especially for families with young children (e.g. £2.25 for a 3-minute ride on a train roundabout!). It is a lovely bay with excellent sands and pretty safe bathing. I think the 'down market' feel is a great shame as it could and should be well maintained and attractive. Today I took my brother-in-law who had never been there before and he thought it was run down, but a lovely beach. Such a shame! Lets hope the council get a grip on it and insist on improvement. Apart from that it was a good day out for my grandson (3 years old) who really loved the beach!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Okay it might not be upmarket, but it is good old fashioned fun at the seaside, excellent well kept beach, fish & chips, ice creams, tidy prom with nice gardens and plenty of nearby parking. My wife and I had a great day on the beach, when the tide was in I went for a swim, of course it was cold but refreshing, we had plenty of choice of things to eat, it is not all fish & chips we had well made good value ham salad rolls from the corner cafe by the beach, one of many. It was great to see all the famalies having fun on the beach without any trouble, Barry is for famalies, no alcohol is permitted. We did go around the fun fair, the old town and fun fair is a bit run down and could do with a facelift but you can ignore this as the sea front looks really good and money has been spent to make it so.if you park in the large car park by the bridge, exit at the far end as the walk through the woods takes you right to the beach.

4  Thank kevin m
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Beautiful clean white beach , the sea is clean and lovely to swim in, there are plenty of little places to eat and lots of amusements for the little children. There are also life guards patrolling and making announcements all the time, so it is very safe. Parking for the whole day is £4 or £1 per hour, and it is only a 3 minutes walk to the beach and attractions.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We have not long moved down to South Wales. After asking locals about their opinions of Barry beach, we were left with somewhat negative views of the place! Many said the fairs had closed up totally and they would rather visit Porth beach. However, after googling and discussing the options, we decided to chance it and plump for Barry Island (we are all massive G and S fans and wanted to see some of the places it was shot).
We arrived at the harbour car park which was pay and display. We paid £4.50 to park for the whole day, which was really good vfm on a boiling hot saturday in july. My husband paid by debit card, which logs your car reg plate....great if you have no loose change! Be warned, they DO check tickets as we noticed a few cars with fixed penalty tickets.
Walk to beach is about 3 minutes and is through a lovely shady smooth pavement walkway, perfect for pushchair users as ourselves.
We were really excited to see Marco's as we headed along the sheltered walkway. Loads of cheesy but fun reference to the show such as Nessa's slots plus we caught sight of Dave's coaches minibus!
Souvenirs pretty reasonably priced. Eg. Mugs £2.99, magnets or windmills under £2. Food also well priced. Tea was 95p and a veggie hot dog in a bun with chips was under a fiver.
Difficult to find a shaded table to eat but this was to be expected on a saturday in july.
We didnt venture onto the beach but what we could see, it seemed very clean and well kept. No dogs allowed so no worries of dog poo. Also plenty of bins around the promenade which were being emptied regularly. Pavements very clean on the whole too. We ventured into the toilets near Marco's and I prepared myself for the worst. In honesty, they werent too bad. Some wc's out of order but plenty still available. Relatively clean but basic. Plenty of toilet roll and scooshy hand soap too. Despite signs asking you not to wash your feet in the sink, some still did which was grotty and a shame as it left a nasty sand residue. Pity that a few spoil it as there are 20p showers beside the toilets! My husband commented that these outdoor beach showers that you find on the continent, may be an asset to Whitmore bay! Baby change facility adequate with several long benches to change on plus few sinks. Open bins to throw nappies in however, which would be quite smelly.
We visited the two fairs, both of which require tokens.......each fair has its own token though and the two are not interchangeable. We only had to queue a little for the power boats and the bungee trampolines, again reasonable for the time we visited. Rides were around £2-£3 for kids and £4 for adults. I was sad to see the log flume and haunted mine shaft in disrepair. Not sure if there are plans to regenerate in the future.

On the whole, we were pleasantly surprised by Whitmore bay, Barry Island. We were expecting it to be more run down and instead we found a lovely, if a little shabby, seaside resort with plenty to see and do. As we now live 30 minutes away, we will certainly be back to explore features such as Nells point, the Roman ruins and the lighthouse.

Well worth a visit and something there for the whole family!! :-)

4  Thank Odyssey803961