“Just misses a four!”
Review of Blue Anchor Inn

Blue Anchor Inn
Ranked #3 of 114 Restaurants in Barry
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Blue Anchor Inn was one of the first pubs in South Wales to produce quality bar meals back in the 1980's. Since then we have gone from strength to strength, winning awards including the South Wales Food Pub of the year for four years,2013, 2011, 2008 and 2006. We are Egon Ronay recommended and are included in the Michelin Eating out in Pubs guide since 2007(the only South Wales entry in the guide), as well as the AA Pub Guide 2013, where we appear as Pick of the Pubs for the Vale of Glamorgan.As well as food who could forget real ales! we have always been a forerunner in the promotion of real ale in South Wales. We were the first winner of the CAMRA pub of the year award back in 1983 and we have maintained our position to the present day by being included in the current 2013 CAMRA Guide.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Just misses a four!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Well first off this place has bags of character, it’s an agreeable place to visit and feels pleasantly remote. The ale and cider availability is varied and the staff are friendly (if not particularly efficient in the bar!) Upstairs in the restaurant service gets a lift and things flow quickly to and from the table. So what of the food? Well overall it was good though not outstanding for the price. A couple of gripes - Bread, why oh why serve such dire out the freezer rubbish? – just because it has some brown toasting on top does not turn it into palatable bread. It is completely beyond me that restaurants offering the type of food that is available here then choose to serve bread that is so poor it could be had from any local asda’s freezer department. You may ask why on earth I’m making such a big thing about the poor bread? Well my view is that establishments who can’t be bothered with little things like serving decent bread often aren’t too bothered about other things either. A couple of others, the veg that come served with the main meals was thin on the ground indeed – if you are hungry or haven’t ordered a starter be prepared to order additional veg on the side. As standard you have a choice of chips, new potatoes or mash with most dishes but be aware that if one alone orders then the serving is fine, however, two of our table ordered new potatoes and only one dish appeared – when asked where the second portion was the response was that the one on the table was for two to share – it was tiny. In fact we’d had starters and were not famished so it was actually OK – but I know plenty of others who would have easily polished off this serving for two on their own. No complaints on the deserts very tasty thanks. This is the second time we’ve eaten here, the first was a similar experience – perhaps rather better. Overall the food served here is good but for the price not fantastic and the kitchen have cut a number of corners on quality and quantity which simply irritated me as a customer. The silly thing is these were relatively minor matters which in all fairness disproportionately weighed on my opinion and hence this review and quite honestly could be sorted out very easily indeed.

• Visited September 2012

“Perfect country pub”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have visited the blue anchor 9 or 10 times and we have never been disappointed with our meals , great food , charming old pub with a great atmosphere , what more can you ask for, we can't stop going back to this place we love it

Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Wow! what a great place.”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Ok so for years i've been told how good this place is, but expecting typical pub grub kept on driving passed. How dumb am I! My sister invited us there for a meal with some american friends - well first of all the building blew our minds, so old, all those nooks and crannies - fantastic! then there was the food, amongst the best I've ever had and at a reasonable price. When my belly pork on celeriac mash arrived I thought it small but the flavour, texture and consistency was beautiful and the amount proved to be just right. Looking forward to our next visit, taste buds getting exited at the thought.

• Visited August 2012
Rhoose, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Before continuing, let me correct the location of the Blue Anchor as listed in Trip Advisor. It is not in Barry; but the quaint village of Aberthaw in the Vale of Glamorgan. So do not go looking for this great pub in Barry!

I visit the Blue Anchor regularly with friends as well as family. The Blue Anchor suffered a large fire a few years ago and the fear of local people was that the quaint atmosphere would be lost during the renovation. It was not, and it still retains the great country atmosphere.

The food is great, and served by (in majority of cases) friendly staff. If all of the staff were as friendly as the good ones, this place would have gained a five from me. After saying that, I will still carry on visiting there.

The cosy atmospheric restaurant upstairs is a great place for those special occasions, whilst the food served downstairs is very popular by locals and visitors alike. One of those special occasions was the celebration of my fortieth wedding anniversary with family and friends.

We often have friends visiting us from Manchester, and it is always their wish to visit the “Blue”, as it is affectionately called.

Give it a try. You will not be disappointed

• Visited July 2012
Cardiff, Wales
“Chef James Griffiths needs a round of applause- food is great here!”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Have always had great meals here and will continue to visit. The Chef James Griffiths creates great food and the place has a lovely ambiance. The Sea Bass is fantastic!

• Visited May 2012