“The Ravin' Raven” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Raven Inn
Ranked #22 of 52 Restaurants in Welshpool
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“The Ravin' Raven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We have just been back to the Raven for a birthday celebration meal and it was very good although the owner Christine was on holiday we were still very well looked after. We were not sure if Cumberland sauce should be that runny but it was still nice.The steaks were cooked just right as were the chips-no fat in sight! The staff were very helpful and friendly. My partner hired the back room last week for my surprise birthday party and they put on a very good spread.It was a fantastic evening with live music from local musician Eddy Gartry and his band who were excellent as usual.

“In response”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Thank you for your comments in response to my dining experience in your restaurant on 3rd April 2013 and your comments regarding a meeting you state to have had with you Chef & Staff.

Firstly, yes we visited your restaurant for lunch on this day and booked a table for the evening against our better judgement. To explain we requested ham sandwiches and was told that there was no ham as the butcher hadn't been. Therefore we settled for cheese & onion and a bowl of chips, we were given grated cheese sandwiches on sliced bread which could only be described as stale. As the price of the sandwiches weren't cheap I would have least expected fresh crusty bread. Hadn't the baker been either? As we weren't impressed we did consider cancelling our evening reservation but as we had visited the Raven on a number of occasions before and had excellent food decided it was just a blip.

With regard to your comments about your waitress asking us twice if everything was ok she asked us once at the end of the meal and we explained about the burnt gammon etc, and to correct another point 3/4 of the gammon was returned, hardly a small piece. The steak given to our granddaughter was eaten only because that was the only thing she could eat as the chips were uneatable and the child was hungry. The children were offered the ice cream but only because we complained. I am not in the habit of lying (what would be the point).

We did not make a big issue of complaining because we had visited with our granddaughters for a special treat and did not want any unpleasantness to spoil it.

As explained before the Raven has always been a special restaurant to us visited on numerous special occasions, always receiving excellent home cooked food but I do not feel that this is the case recently.

Finally, when we ordered the steak for our granddaughter we ordered the sirloin on the special board at a special price, but when the bill came we had been charged the full price off the main menu, which was considerably more even though I stressed to the waitress that it was the special that was required, this was corrected when I pointed this out although had I not checked the bill no doubt I would have paid this. The two dining experiences can only be described as a series of errors never to be repeated.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Hellokitty6
Broadway, United Kingdom
“Not so Nice Lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very disappointed with the meal. The menu looked promising enough, we hadn't much time so choose the 8oz burger and the 8oz burger with cheese and bacon a quick meal that you wouldn't expect to be awful. I've had 8oz burgers at my local burger van for half the price and that is quality, the burger I had a day later in Betws-y-Coed was quality (same price as the Raven), but the Raven burger was to my mind a cheap catering burger served in a cheap catering roll, the chips were the best bit. It wasn't nice at all, and no we didn't' complain because we were too tired after a long journey to bother. The staff were nice enough and pleasant, they did apologise that there may be a delay in service as they were a chef down. We didn't notice what other customers food looked like, but all I can say is keep away from the burgers.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A definite welcome in the hillside.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Called here on the way back to the Midlands from Portmeirion. Very friendly staff. Two of us had fish and chips with peas, my sister had lasagne with chips and peas. The peas tasted very fresh, the fish was also fresh and the chips chunky and tasty. The lasagne i am told was delicious. Portions all round were generous and filling. Good value for money. I was impressed by the service and particularly that the gentleman serving us always served the ladies in my group first. This was obviously automatic to him and i compliment him.

Leek, United Kingdom
“Nice Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stopped here for lunch,seven of us,six adults and grand-daughter after seeing reviews on Trip Advisor.We had sandwiches and pizza and chips for grand-daughter. Everything was very fresh and tasty. The service was a little slow,but the pub was very busy, this was only a very minor gripe.
Highly recommended.