“one of my favourite dining places”
Review of Wynnstay

Wynnstay
Ranked #18 of 34 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An old coaching inn providing high quality food and drink for the 21st century traveller. Warm welcome, cosy fires, real ales, excellent wines, quality meals, 23 en-suite bedrooms.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have been here several times and always found it excellent. Really cozy place and atmosphere - lovely fire too. Service is always great. We have always been very impressed with the food. As a vegetarian the choice here doesn't just feel like an afterthought, effort has been given to create interesting meals. It's genuinely one the best, most enjoyable and memorable places I've eaten.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

About five years ago we had a bar meal in the Wynnstay on a quiet January day. My father fancied cheese after his main course but there was none on the menu. He spoke to the waiter and asked if they could find some cheese for him. The waiter returned with a platter of five cheeses which he then left on the table.
This was very impressive customer service and so when we had a less than warm welcome from another eatery in Machynlleth we transfered our affections here.
We visited again at lunchtime on Saturday. There was a big menu for a bar menu - as much as you would expect from a restaurant menu. I really really wanted the Cardigan Bay fish soup which sounded lovely but was more than I could eat . I settled for the vegetable soup and my husband had the liver and smoked bacon which came on a pile of mash sitting in a pond of dark gravy.
After we ordered, what seemed like a bus load of walkers came in and I thought we would be waiting ages but no. In minutes we had a basket of three different home made breads to eat and the food followed very quickly. However as soon as the party sat down the staff turned away other people who walked in as we had done.
Having travelled from North to South (-a four hour journey) for 38 years I have visited every pub restaurant and cafe. I've never had anything less than top notch food here

Reviewed January 17, 2013

An extremely well presented hotel. very welcoming; the food was exceptional; well cooked and presented! We will use this place again!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Went for a lovely meal a couple of years ago - in fact - a memorable meal. So was slightly confused at poor restaurant rating on TA. In fact poor reviews did put us off and we planned to go somewhere else, but on finding that place shut - we returned to the Wynnstay. OK - it was a quiet mid week lunchtime, but the service and warmth from the staff was great, the food - delicious - could not fault it! (and we are picky!!) I think a lot of reviewers go to the Wynnstay's 'hotel' TA page - this page did take a bit of finding. Car park can be a bit hard to find - turn up narrow street just past the hotel and follow round to rear of building. Well worth a visit!!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

fine meal here last sat evening - nice small bar with 3 realales - 2 of which were quite local i think which is always good to see . imaginative menu strong on local produce including seafood given the town's proximity to the coast - but also some game and lamb reflecting another part of the local heritage. i had a tian of crab and then venison - beautifully tender and pink and served on a bed of lentils- yummy
fantastic cheesboard to finish - worth ordering just for the pleasure of looking at it!
quirky wine list - reasonably priced stuff plus some localwelsh ones and other British ones too
very friendly service even on a busy sat. night - thoroughly recommended
only slight critism - as the nicest looking pub/bar in the town - i know from a personal check - why wasn't it open all afternoon on a saturday?