Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
alisonr161
Llandudno, United Kingdom
via mobile
Great lessons they put into practice

Sarah C

All reviews mole the cliff sustainable living vegetarian restaurant interesting place hands on activities carbon footprint renewable energy slate quarry environmental issues rainy day gift aid fantastic place return visit play area cakes cat
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Loved the park and the water lift but the food needs an overhaul. It might attract more visitors. But a pleasant day out.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is my second visit, the first was about 25 years ago ! Very little change here. Its a run down "hippy type" hideaway, a general mess with little to inspire anyone. The working exhibits were in poor condition, the vegetable garden rundown and uncared for, the flush toilets were "adjusted" to save water, but hardly flushed away. In 25 years nothing has changed for the better. Suggest the " volunteers " find something constructive to do, instead of living some dream like existence. Save your money,and go elsewhere, there's plenty more usefull things to see in Wales that are far superior to this.

1  Thank Babyboomer1950
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A revisit from the eighties to check out the improvements and changes. The new access railway was great. The restarant again proved very tasty.

1  Thank turnaroundwood
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I been going there since I was a little girl and really wanted to take my husband to show him. We had a great time wandering around the site and looking at the different exhibits.

Their new building is very impressive and they really have used low energy materials to make a highly insulated eco friendly building for education.

One of my favorite exhibits is an old one that has been there since I was little, a mole hole with different magnification of living things in the soil.

The day was ended with an amazing tour of the site. The guide was very knowledgeable and could answer all the questions that were thrown at him.

The food in the restaurant was great, not a tall fancy, just solid really good food.

Over all a very enjoyable day

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It's taken me far too long to visit the centre despite being a regular visitor to Snowdonia since the 1960's! I always assumed it was a bunch of hippies who started the centre and it was a bit airy fairy. How wrong could I have been! This place is a real eye opener demonstrating what they've done and how we need to use alternative energy and technology in the future. The staff are very knowledgeable, get on a free guided tour and wander around the quarry walk too. Well worth every penny.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

I think those who are criticising this attraction are being unfair. It doesn't pretend to be a shiny Disney-style experience and the clue might be found in the word "alternative". We swithered about going but came away very glad we had done so. There are important messages all round the displays which we either take heed of or face dire consequences. The message is presented concisely and well and it needs to be reinforced again and again. The people who established the project are worthy of so much admiration - enduring awful conditions just to establish and develop their crucial message. The point touches every aspect of life and it's impressive to see that the centre promotes academic study and excellence and also the practical through the training of tradesmen in providing, for example, alternative and sustainable energy systems. Though we visited on a gloomy and unpromising autumn day we opted to follow the waymarked footpath from which excellent views are obtained. The fact that the site is built on a reclaimed former slate works reinforces the theme of the park and its raison d'etre. The interpretation on the way round is good. There are plenty of distractions for children and good educational reinforcement all the way round.

Reviewed October 3, 2018

Lovely afternoon spent with 4 year old grandson, Highlight for him was the water balance carriage that you have to go onto enter and leave. First visit for him and he loved the mole hole, and was safe for him to explore on his own ( watching him all the time) We didn't go to the café so am unable to comment on that. Would go again with my grandchildren.

Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

As an agricultural engineer that has been involved in development all my working life I was fascinated by some of what I saw. For me the water powered funicular rail car was the highlight. Our guide was knowledgeable and was able to answer most of the questions posed by the group we joined relation to solar water heating, PV electricity, wind powered electricity generation, water powered electricity generation, thermal insulation etc. It whetted the appetite to learn more. My wife was very interested in the poly tunnels and the wide variety of food crops being produced. There were all kinds of learning activities for kids. The WISE training centre on site offers a variety of courses, both academic and practical, at different levels aimed at sustainability. If this kind of thing interests you make the effort to visit.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

What a disappointing trip. As others have mentioned the place is just falling to bits-you can't get away with saying this is 'eco' something or other to excuse the mess.

The signage was hopeless.

Hardly any of the ancient displays work - and even if they did they wouldn't begin to excite anyone these days.

I can't imagine why anyone would give this place a good review. Just go down to the beach at Borth/Ynyslas and have a good walk!

4  Thank dhp1651496
CAT-VC-Team, Public Relations Manager at Centre for Alternative Technology, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2018

Sorry to hear you regret your decision to choose CAT rather than visiting a beach!

A shame you didn't find value in our signage and displays. A few of our recent installations offer loads of info about the sustainable structures on site and eco building methods, they interpret some growing ideas and facts in the CAT gardens and explore the thriving biodiversity along our Quarry Trail.

The 'mess' you describe generally has an important function to on-site life at CAT. Building materials and cordoned off areas are often practical demonstration and workshop facilities for our courses or post graduate students and areas of non-manicured gardens often are that way on purpose to help allow the important habitat that naturally dying back beds provide.

I'd recommend taking on of the guided tours of buying one of the guide books next time you visit as it will really help you take the most out of all the bits on offer.

Rob

Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

We attended a couple of courses over a weekend which were very interesting and informative. The place itself is very interesting too with lots of info about alternative energy and technology. It's looking a little tatty in places so not sure if it is a fully functional site anymore.
The cafe only serves vegetarian food which is really good and very tasty.
It is well worth a visit if you are in the area.

CAT-VC-Team, Public Relations Manager at Centre for Alternative Technology, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Thanks for the review Richard - great to hear you enjoyed your courses.