“Highlight of our vacation!”

Falconry Experience Wales
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Machynlleth
More attraction details
Owner description: By appointment only
Reviewed February 10, 2014

It’s been over 6 months since we had the pleasure of taking part in their VIP Experience but it is still the highlight of our family’s month in the UK. We were a little leery of doing the “tourist” thing but Barry and Luce warmly welcomed us like family or old friends. There was no pretense, no “show”, and no rote program, just the sharing of their extensive knowledge, experience, and love for the birds in their care. They were both very sensitive to our different levels of comfort in handling the birds and helped us feel at ease very quickly. There was no rush, just a relaxing sunny afternoon in the beautiful Welsh countryside in awe of God’s creation. Few things are more thrilling than feeling the rush of wind in your face from their Harris Hawk swooping up and landing oh so gently on your hand. Incredible! We look forward to visiting again. Thank you Barry and Luce for such an amazing and unforgettable experience!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our afternoon at the Falconry Experience, hosted by Luce and Barry was superb. They are a lovely couple, both extremely knowledgeable about the birds - we have learnt so much about the history of hawking, the way they hunt, their physiology, and how they are trained. The setting was intimate, not commercialised in any way, and in a beautiful location in Powys. Luce and Barry obviously adore their charges and the importance of the welfare of the birds is quite evident. We met several different owls, a red kite, eagle, and hawks (my favourite is Ras - THE most beautiful Harris Hawk). Can't recommend this enough if you love nature and all things wild!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by Barry & Luce like family & friends. They were so accommodating, and nothing was too much trouble. They opened their home to us, and kept us warm with coffee and hot chocolate. Although the day was initially bought for my Husband as a VIP Experience, we were there as a family, including our two 10 year old boys. Luce was aware that one of my boys was slightly nervous of being around the birds, and not too keen to handle them, but her gently, gently approach won the day and he was asking to handle the owls and even touching them ....

What Luce & Barry don't know about their birds, and the history of the species, just isn't worth knowing. Knowledgable is an understatement, but it was explained in a way we could all understand, and this made the day even more special.

The day started with a talk about the birds, and their origins. Then we had the chance to handle the two barn owls, which fly together, they are Brother and Sister, and it was comical to watch and hear them calling for each other when they were also out one at a time. We also handled Rezna, the Harris Hawk - STUNNING bird. He was amazing, flying back and forth from the top of the chimney to pick up a tiny piece of food off the glove.

The gyr x saker falcon was beautiful. She very playful and followed Barry's finger like a kitten chasing string ... sharper claws though .....

My Husband also handled Lakota, the Alaskan bald eagle, but OMG he was heavy ... and another stunning boy, and he knew it :) Having seen his photos from a chick, he's certainly one handsome boy ... and there's still growing room ...

I think the boys' favourite (and mine), was Mog, who was a tiny little owl. She would sidle up your arm, and nestle into your neck to keep warm. She even cwtched up into Luce's jacket at one point, she was so sweet ...

The Red Kite, called Isca, was breathtaking. (and far bigger than I anticipated) He wasn't too comfortable around our quick moving boys, so we went to look for the raccoon, while my Husband handled him. Unfortunately, as it was so cold, Fookie, the raccoon had started to hibernate, and she was all cwtched up, nice and warm.

We also had a chance to handle a spectacular Eagle owl, and I believe a burrowing owl that was as happy running across the grass as he was in the air.

We closed the day meeting Barry & Luce's dogs, Bert & Bronnie. Bert was a black German pointer, and Bronnie a whippet cross, who I think was crossed with a kangaroo on a pogo stick!!

I can't THANK YOU enough for allowing us to become part of your family for the day. Your love and understanding of the birds is limitless,and the respect and love you get back from the birds is evident...

We WILL be back .......

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was this given this day out as a gift by my wife for me and my son. Having falconry birds of our own we thought we new it all and would not enjoy this day as much. But chatting to Barry and flying his birds gave us good extra training and experience.
There two barn owls that thay fly together are brilliant as is his red kite.

1  Thank stekelly1966
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife booked this day out as a birthday treat, and what a treat it was. On arrival we were made very welcome, Barry and Lucy opened their house to us. The first hour was spent learning some facts about the birds, this was done in such a way that you didn't get bored and I for one learnt a lot I didn't know about the birds. The day continued with us being shown the birds and getting a chance to fly,hold and get some photos with them. There was also a racoon which had been rescued by Lucy when it was rejected by its mother.

This is a day I would reccommend to anybody with an interest in birds of prey.