“An unforgettable exerience”

Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Machynlleth
More attraction details
Owner description: By appointment only
Reviewed May 3, 2013

As this was a gift from someone else we didn't know what to expect but within minutes we were loving the setting and atmosphere of Barry & Luce's home. We received a warm welcome and were offered a drink straight away. The position of their home is simply stunning. We listened to Luce talking with real knowledge and passion about the raptors. She has an empathy and understanding of these birds which is a delight to witness. Barry was a charming man who answered so many questions with patience and a keeness to explain what they are doing. Everybody was given plenty of time to handle and fly several birds with no rush. It was amazing to have a red kite on my arm, I will never forget the thrill of it. There is a peacefull, tranquil atmosphere to their home and the birds are obviously happy and contented. I would recommend a visit to Barry & Luce for anyone with a love of nature.

All reviews
"cancelled due"
in 5 reviews
"unforgettable experience"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
in 3 reviews
"informative talk"

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I bought this experience as a Christmas gift for my husband and we were not disappointed. we handled birds of prey and flew them as well. we gained insight from the wealth of knowledge from Barry and Luce who are so passionate about their birds. seeing the raptors up close was amazing and my husbands favorite the red Kite, was a memorable experience. wrap up warm , wear good warm footwear and have an experience you will not forget.

1  Thank Girvans
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my second visit with my daughter and as expected was a wonderful day.
Baz and Luce are so passionate and knowledgeable about the birds and their welfare is second to none.
We handled several birds though my favourite is always Iska the red kite as he is so entertaining Lakota the eagle is amazing though I have to say all of the birds are and they just thrive being in the care of these special people
The setting is superb and we know that we will be regular visitors well worth the two and half hour journey from Staffordshire

1  Thank jill f
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had a really wonderful experience observing and handling the birds. Barry and Luce were very knowledgeable and keen to pass on some of their insights. They clearly love all the birds who are very well cared for.The eagle owl, the two barn owls and the red kite were personal favourites.
All in all a fascination afternoon.Highly recommended.
Take a camera and make sure you have warm clothing especially on your feet. It can get cold.

1  Thank janetetolhurst
See more reviews
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was a wonderful afternoon. Barry and Luce Macdonald are experienced and professional, and clearly love sharing their enthusiasm for these amazing birds.
We were first introduced to four species of owls - from the tiny burrowing owl to the enormous eagle owl - and took turns at having each of them sit on our (well protected!) wrists. Then we watched two of the owls, a Harris hawk and a red kite do their majestic stuff on the wing. This included each of them flying to our own hands for scraps of food. And all of this with the Cambrian Mountains as a dramatic backdrop.
Which species you'll see in flight is a bit dependent on the weather so I don't suppose any two visits will be the same, but I can't imagine any visit being dull. All three hours are spent outside so I recommend dressing warmly, unless your visit is in midsummer. However, having close encounters with these beautiful and impressive birds is such a thrill that you probably won't notice even if your toes do go numb.

1  Thank JimboNosh