“Good food but for big appetites”
Review of The Black Lion Inn

The Black Lion Inn
Ranked #8 of 34 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

The place itself is quaint and cosy and there are a range of local ales to choose from. The meal itself was great but the portions were enormous. I couldn't even manage my main course let alone order a dessert. Prices were reasonable and they had a good variety of meals to choose from. Definitely worth booking a table here if your passing by though. A good hearty meal that v won't disappoint.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

It really is worth a detour to eat at this pub.This is a lovely old fashioned pub with low ceilings. beams and a log fire. There is an extensive menu with an excellent choice. The food was delicious with generous portions, all being reasonably priced. The staff were friendly and attentive, even although they were busy and it was only Tuesday lunchtime.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

What a delightful Inn, full of character, if you were asked to describe a perfect, cosey country pub steeped in history this would be it.

The food was delicious and plentiful, after a day cycling around the Cambrian Coast the Mega Burger really hit the spot!

Service was excellent and personable - I can't wait to come back!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to try this place for food after reading such good reviews on here and we were certainly not disappointed. My boyfriend was here for a bike race and this was a perfect place to fuel up.

I had the Swordfish which was a special, it was beautiful, light and full of flavour. My boyfriend had the Black Lion Meg Beef Burger, it looked fantastic and he thoroughly enjoyed.

We were very lucky to get a table as we hadn't booked and it was busy, thankfully there was only the two of us and there were two tables for two left. The staff were very friendly, helpful and polite and the building is stunning, full of character with a fantastic fire place which I can imagine is lovely and cosy in the winter.

If we're in the area again I am sure we will return.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This lovely old 16th century pub/ restaurant is a real gem. The pub has low ceilings, thick walls and beams and a marvellous fire-place/ ingle nook. It retains it's historical charm. The menu surprised us as it was very complete and up to the minute with wide options. I had a sirloin steak ( medium-rare) and my wife chose a plaice. Both cooked to perfection and with top quality ingredients. Staff were unfailingly helpful and welcoming.

Thanks and we'll be back.

1  Thank steve2295