“Great food & warm welcome”
Review of The Black Lion Inn

The Black Lion Inn
Ranked #8 of 33 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were recommended this place by a friend, we arrived before it opened and nearly got back in the car to go somewhere else but I'm really glad we didn't! The food was amazing, we had the lamb from the specials menu and it just melted in the mouth. My daughter had a cheesy pasta dish from the childrens menu, it came with brocolli and peas and she ate the lot, which for her is unheard of! The portions were ample and the prices reasonable. The desserts were great too as was the beer. One of the biggest ticks this place got from me was they had childrens cutlery!! I get so fed up going out for dinner with my family and watching my little one struggle with huge knives and forks, wish more places were thought like this one. Next time I am in wales I will most definitely be going back to the black Lion, the staff were friendly and welcoming & the service was great. Massive thumbs up from this family

1  Thank Bakersbird

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Had a geat meal at this resturant met up with family members while my husband and i were on holiday.My husband had the breakfast brunch which was well cooked and his words one of the best hes ever tasted.My gammon meal was very good so to was the home made steak and ale /mushroom pies plus veg and a choice of potatoes,all cooked to perfection.And the desserts were also very good for lunch time menu i would highly recommend a visit they also do evening meals.Just sorry we couldnt have stayed in wales alittle longer to have gone back again.But will certainly visit again when in wales.

1  Thank stephr685
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have been for number of meals at this pub and they have all been beautiful.The building itself is very old and is steeped in history which there is a breif explanation on the front of the menu. It is slightly more expensive than the average pub but as they say you do get what you pay for.

2  Thank Oo_Big_Bad_John_oO
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is a very good country restaurant-pub. It feels like a pub but the food standard and service are of good restaurant standard. We had mains plus drinks for four and came in at £50.

Worth a trip if you are staying in or around Machynlleth.

1  Thank msrbcel
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have tried twenty or so pubs and hotels serving Sunday lunch in this area, and we can confidently say this is the best! Beautiful 400-year old pub with ancient black beams and an open fire, very friendly staff, and great food - four choices of roast or fish/veggie option, served with six vegetables. Despite reading the advice on this site, we ordered desserts, (lemon meringue pie and chocolate torte), which were delicious, but came with scoops of ice cream, after which we needed a lie down. Can't imagine who manages the 3-course lunch at £14.95! It's easy to see why every table was full, and we were glad we'd booked. We'll be back again soon.

1  Thank Bronwen L