“An absolute must-visit on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brigands Inn

Brigands Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Machynlleth B&B and Inns
Llanbrynmair
“An absolute must-visit on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were disappointed when the Brigands Inn closed earlier this year as we had had some pretty good food there in the past. Living in rural mid Wales, our proximity to decent restaurants is... well,.. limited! I always found it a pleasant venue- good food, fabulous scenery and comfortable, if rather tired decor.
Wow! The food has been elevated from good to great; the scenery continues to be fabulous, but the decor has moved into a whole other league. Both the bedrooms and the public rooms have been fully refurbished to an exceptionally high standard. The overall effect is charming and absolutely perfect for a 15th Century coaching inn.
I can't sign off from this- the very first review I have ever felt sufficiently impressed to write- without thanking the staff at The Brigands. I don't know how you managed to find such a brilliant, helpful bunch in such a sparsely populated area of Wales, but I'm grateful you did!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Gemma N
Robert W, Manager at Brigands Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Gemma N,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time us. The staff are constantly striving to deliver the very best possible service, and hope very much that we will see you again.

Diolch yn fawr,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

A very disappointing visit. While the staff were cheerful, the Sunday lunch was poor with one small bowl of mixed veg to share and beef that couldn't be cut, and no response from the kitchen when the waitress returned the plate to the kitchen.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank MarilynClay
Robert W, Manager at Brigands Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear MarilynClay

Many thanks for your review. I am very sorry that on this occasion your meal with us did not live up to expectations. I have spoken with the chef regarding the beef on Sunday as the quality of the meat was not of a good enough standard and for that I apologise.

We have just re-opened and there is still some fine tuning to do and I can assure you we will continue to improve in coming months and I very hope that you will give us another chance. If so please do introduce yourself to me.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

After an unfortunate accommodation encounter 20 miles up the valley, the Brigands was a welcome sight for sore eyes - and feet. We were greeted by Rob, who was more than happy to offer us a room last minute, for the entire weekend, including our wonderful hound Charlie with no extra cost.

We were offered room 1, which was delightful including a four poster bed, possibly the most comfortable, spacious and best room that we have stayed in especially for this price. The bar was fabulous and the staff even came to join us after a busy re opening evening, this added a more personal touch.

The Head Chef Justin delivered a distinguished breakfast menu, using the best local produce. Therefore, we chose the full Welsh (of course!). This was followed the next day by smoked Haddock and poached egg breakfast and finally Eggs Benedict. Yum!

In addition to this we ate in the evening, the highlights included the ham hock, the steak (cooked to perfection) and the sea trout. The food was presented beautifully and tasted so good..... A hidden gem... Hats of to the Chef!

All in all - the staff were professional, the patrons were friendly and the food excellent. I would highly recommend this place even if you are just passing through.

Thanks for the great experience and saving us from a fate worse than death down the road. Lots of Love James, Karen and Charlie. We'll be back!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear James G

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and I am sure next time you come down you will see how far the new team has come on in a short space of time.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were very pleased to see that the Brigands had re-opened last weekend follwoing a very expensive looking refurbishment. We had been recommending it to visitors to our holiday cottage, which is just a few minutes walk away, and had been dismayed to hear that it had closed down in the spring. We popped in for a drink when we had to make an emergency visit to our own cottage and we were so impressed that we decided to stay overnight in order to try out the food in the evening.

The place looks fantastic, it's beautifully decorated and the staff are very welcoming. The range of food and drink on offer would suit all tastes and was of really good quality. The place was buzzing on Saturday night, and despite the amount of customers ( a mix of locals and visitors ) we felt welcome and were impressed with the food quality, lovely bottle of Merlot and and the staff. Robert in particular was very hands on, making sure it was all running like clockwork. We can't comment on the bedrooms but had a good look around all the public rooms and they were really welcoming and comfortable. We have already started singing the praises of the Inn to our own visitors and can't wait to come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear PenyBontCottage

Many thanks for coming to visit us on our re-opening. I am really pleased you enjoyed it and I very much hope that we can be mutually beneficial to each other.

Once again many thanks.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here on saturday 24th Aug 2013 Robert was very friendly and made us very welcome best place we have stayed in a long time, lovely decor. food was superb will definitely visit again.
lovely views from window

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear julesbrunn

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind review on Tripadvisor. As you know we have only just re-opened and we do hope that we can build on these early days.

I very much hope that we will see you down this way again.

Darby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We recently stopped here a phew weeks ago, and I must say it was truly amazing! We were greeted by a young woman who was very polite and welcoming, the room was fabulous, nice decor well furnished, plenty of light coming in through the two large windows in the bedroom that over looked the A470. The food was superb, I would personally recommend the beef and ale pie to anyone, it was delicious, my partner had the beef lasagne which she said was also very good although I am an English man I found the locals very friendly, I was a little worried about the traffic level noise at night but I must say I heard nothing, Again we were greeted by the young woman and another lady when I came down for breakfast the following morning, and the breakfast was again fantastic. Very plead with our stay and We will definitely be back,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert W, Manager at Brigands Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Laura F

I am just writing to let you know that the Brigands Inn has new owners and will be re-opening in a couple of weeks. I am pleased you enjoyed your recent visit but I am sure that it will be even better next time.

Dolgellau - Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have been here before and yet again it failed to reach expectations. The food was edible but nothing special. No vegetables served and the chips that were served came overcooked and form hard bits of starch.
The pretentious extra charge for bread was removed as it was raw and inedible. Desserts were received well.
Staff friendly but overall not a cheap eat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Robert W, Manager at Brigands Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear BigG573

I am writing to inform you that there is new ownership at the Brigands Inn and we will be reopening in a few weeks.

I would very much like for you to come down and have a drink with us and let us show you what we are doing differently and see some of the improvements we have made.

Robert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machynlleth
Plas Dolguog Hotel
#6 of 14 in Machynlleth
The Old Vicarage
The Old Vicarage
#3 of 14 in Machynlleth

Been to Brigands Inn? Share your experiences!