“Food was good - service slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Brigands Inn

Brigands Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Machynlleth B&B and Inns
Llanwrin, null, United Kingdom
“Food was good - service slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The place was not particularly busy, from placing the order to receiving starters was at least 45 minutes, that said the food was good and once starters receive the rest of the meal was served more quickly, and we had finished and paid the bill about 2.5 hours after arriving. (3 courses)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lauren M
Dear Lauren M

I am just writing to let you know that the Brigands Inn has new owners and will be re-opening in a couple of weeks.

I very much hope that you will come and meet with me and have a drink and see the improvements.

Robert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Tywyn, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have stayed in a nearby by holiday house several times over the years but because of having our dogs with us had never eaten at The Brigands. Having now moved to Wales we viewed a house for sale close by and decided as a treat afterwards to have lunch at The Brigands. We received a cheery welcome from the lady behind the bar, there was a young family in the area around the fire in the bar and a small table in the window. I chose the lamb special from the board and my husband ordered the Brigands beef burger with Brigands chips. The young family disappeared into another room, apparently to eat their food, other than that there was only one other couple who had ordered food. Our food took over 40 minutes to arrive and when it did I could see that my husbands meal was just a pile of mush, the boiled onions an d mushrooms which came with the burger had soaked into the so say italian bread - more like soggy bun. The young man who served us asked whether we would like any sauces, and didn't actually listen to the reply when my husband asked for mustard and ketchup (anything to get some taste into his meal) and he had to repeat his request to a rather surprised looking waiter whose T shirt and joggy bottoms looked in need of a wash and iron.

Had we not been starving we would have returned my husbands meal, the accompanying chips were no better just the overcooked dried out scrag bits of potato. My lamb was cooked well but had obviously been sitting about as the jus had set and had a skin on it, for the manner it was delivered and served it was overpriced.
When my husband went to pay, the lady behind the bar asked whether everything was alright, my husband replied that he had eaten his meal as he was hungry and would be paying for it but informed her of the soggy mush he had been served - her reply was to say that they had told the chef about it before and whilst still in conversation with my husband cut him short and answered the phone - businesses do get things wrong, fact of life but its how they deal with the errors that puts things right - to cut off a customer in such a rude manner is far from addressing the problem.
The owners need to get a grip on the level of service both from the chefs and front of house staff, they are charging restaurant prices for poorly presented low quality food and although they are obviously aware of the problems with the food nothing appears to be being done about it.
Although we now live in the area I can't see us returning in a hurry,sadly this is the worst review I have ever given.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Amanda C
Dear Amanda C

Harlech
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on a wild and stormy night. Snuggled into the sofa next to a roaring fire. Been there before so a bit surprised that the place was empty. Ordered the food and realised why as it was awful. Greasy beef burger, greasy onions and chips that were hard and overcooked. The raspberry mousse is to be avoided. This is the second meal here that I have had that was in edible and this isn't a cheap eatery. To be avoided unless you want a drink or a coffee by the fire

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Graham H
Dear Cilan-Harlech

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Myself and my wife were celebrating an anniversary with a meal and as a treat a stay over for the night, upon arrival we were pleasantly greeted, handed our keys and went to our room to leave our bags, the room it was tastefully decorated well presented and in keeping with the hotel as a whole, I would and could quite easily go on about the food all day, however just thinking about it is making me hungry to return!

In a nutshell my review would quite simply be to ask you to just imagine its cold and snowy outside, your sat by a log fire with oak beams on the ceiling and amazing food before you on your candle lit table with warm and friendly staff to hand, really its hard to be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

i have stayed at the brigand in the past and have enjoyed. I've always highly reccomended the brigands to all sorts of people. But this time was one of the best, had a wonderfull decorated room with a real warmth. My breakfast was really nice, and the meal the night before was fantastic i had the honey glazed duck, it was the most tender piece of meat i've ever had, certainly freshly cooked and cooked to perfection. The staff there are superb, their kindness towards the customers, could not asked for better any where else. The place was spotless and the tables were laid out wonderful. I was waited on by a very pleasant young lad who had very good manners and knew exactly what he was doing. I highly reccommend this 4 star (5 star in my opinion) to any one that passes in the area.

• Stayed January 2013
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Brigands Inn was recommended by the owners of the B&B we were staying at. We went there for dinner and found the food, service and ambience to be very good. The proximity of the bar to the dining area is a bit off putting as the bar users were always in my eyesight and earshot whilst we were eating. There was a roaring wood fire burning when we were at the Brigands Inn which all added to the atmosphere. The only dissapointment for me was the dessert which my family said was a little tasteless (Sticky Toffee Pudding & Custard) which was a surprise. I had the smoked haddock which could have been a little stronger tasting but it was very nice nonetheless. The rest of the family were also complimentary on the food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Machynlleth, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We've been here a few times and over the years have never had a bad meal. This time was no exception. I would reccomend the fillet steak with pate. And always remember that you shouldn't dine here without trying the chips, proper home made chips with salt and vinegar. The specials board is worth studying.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RipBT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machynlleth
Plas Dolguog Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dinas Mawddwy
Penrhos Arms
Penrhos Arms
#6 of 13 in Machynlleth

Been to Brigands Inn? Share your experiences!