“Check which room you are in!”
Review of White Lion Hotel

White Lion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Machynlleth
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was extremely disappointed as having seen the room on the website I thought we were in for a treat - unfortunately we were in Room 4 where the only saving grace was the bathroom which was basic but clean. Although the irony of being asked to save washing on hand and bath towels - when only bath towels were provided was not lost on me. The carpet in the bedroom was filthy, the bedding didn't look clean due to it being ancient and a manky colour (had to do up the duvet cover myself) and the bed was a very small double and quite uncomfortable. The wall above the bedhead was grubby and the furniture had all seen better days. The TV switch on and off involved climbing on as stool - or you were left with a very bright glowing light all night. When I raised the issue of the room being different to the website, they were clearly aware which room I was talking about. The website needs to be clear that the one shown is a refurbished room and that they are still working on upgrading the other rooms - don't know if they are - but I would have been less angry and shocked.

On the plus side we had two dinners and two breakfasts and the food was all very nice, the common areas are in good condition and the staff were all lovely!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrimont

Reviewed September 15, 2013

just seen some other reviews and kind of agree with most of it... but would absolutely stay here again if i was passing through...

staff - really friendly and helpful - landlord to cleaners - which makes a big difference in my book!
food - very good and reasonably priced
drinks - not a massive selection but a few real ales and seemed to be well looked after
bar - actually quite cosy - could do without any music and tv for me - but at least not deafening loud like some places
accommodation - bit worn and threadbare but clean and for the price in an off the beaten track location fine - and included a pretty good breakfast

Room Tip: difficult as the only down side to my otherwise great nights sleep was the bottle bins being emptied...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Although we only stopped off here for a drink, it was so grim, I felt I had to warn people who might make the same decision. Keep walking ! The place as already mentioned is very tired, furnishing, carpets, decor and layout, it's like going back to a time best forgotten. The worst thing of all was the number of flies everywhere, which there is absolutely no excuse. It made the place feel very dirty, buzzing around the lounge area and in the window. It looked very inviting from outside but that's where I should have stayed. Surely the bar and hotel can do better than this, just looks very uncared for, be great to see this lion back in the pride, come on Machynellth

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely meal of Belly Pork, potato gratin and fresh veg. well cooked and presented.
The Sticky Toffee pudding was yummy.Good prices and a good selection on the menu. nice friendly service and helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013

On a positive note, the management and staff are generally very friendly and helpful. Sadly the rest of the story is not great. The building is drastically outdated and not up to standards. Carpets are worn, plasterwork cracked and floors tilting. The only shower available (in a shared area) had completely disintegrated and was unusable. Bed was comfortable but furniture very old and of poor quality. A TV was minuscule and positioned at an impractical height. There was some very decent beer to be had in the bar (a hoppy Bristol Beer Factory ale) but the breakfast was fairly disappointing. Kellogg's variety packs need to be consigned to history in my view, although there is a reasonable range of dishes available to order. A poached egg was reasonably cooked but quality of produce very average at best.
I would not return if rooms we available at the near neighbouring Wynstay Arms.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The only thing decent in this place was the bathroom. Found the bedroom dirty. We stayed in Room 4. Dead insects in the bed. Pub Ok though and nice meals to be had and breakfast was Ok. Borrowed an iron which again was bogging. Try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Room 10! Room 10 Room 10 Room 10!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jabber88
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here recently for a couple of nights and enjoyed it, yes there was dated pine furniture in our room but I wasn't bothered by it.
For me what matters most is the cleanliness, friendliness and good food, and it had got all these. Our room was a good size but the floor had got a good tilt on it so my husband said he didn't know if it was the floor or the beer( two pints only) which caused him to stagger, but its an old Victorian? Hotel it's bound to have such things. The room could do with being redecorated but it looked like the hotel was being refurbished.
The clock tower was twenty or so metres down the road and chimed every 15 minutes but as we always travel with earplugs it didn't cause any problem. Our room had a shower en-suite but after a hot tiring day out I wanted a bath and on our floor there was a full bathroom, a toilet and an extra shower room, I asked if it was ok to have a bath and was told it wasn't a problem. The bathroom was set out with fresh towels so I didn't even have to remember to take the one from our room.
We ate in the hotel on the first night and the food was lovely, huge fish and chips for my husband and Sunday roast for me with six different vegetables, the food was so good that the following night we didn't bother thinking about going elsewhere. This time I was feeling a bit full so asked if I could have the kiddies scampi and chips, this posed no problem and was just right.
I would definitely stay here again if I needed to be in the area.

Room Tip: If you like a laugh the tilt on room 9 will get you going
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machynlleth
Wynnstay Hotel
Wynnstay Hotel
#3 of 4 in Machynlleth
Plas Dolguog Hotel
Plas Dolguog Hotel
#2 of 4 in Machynlleth
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms
#4 of 4 in Barmouth
Gwesty Cymru
Gwesty Cymru
#1 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!