“In our opinion, the cafe of choice at Lake Vyrnwy.”
Review of The Old Barn Cafe

The Old Barn Cafe
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Llanwddyn
Welshpool, Powys
“In our opinion, the cafe of choice at Lake Vyrnwy.”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We live in Guilsfield, near Welshpool, only about 20 miles from Lake Vyrnwy, so we are regular visitors to the area throughout the year. Sometimes we take our bikes and cycle round the lake, but most of the time we drive around the lake, (and twice I have run round the lake – the Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon is held each September). Before we head back home we usually pop into the Old Barn Café for a drink and a snack, and have yet to be disappointed. The café proprietors prepare and serve the fare themselves. We find the prices reasonable and the service friendly and attentive. The coffee is particularly to our taste, and there always seems a good choice of cakes and sandwiches.

The café opens every day between 10am and 5pm in Spring, and 10am and 6pm in Summer, and the pleasant outside seating in the courtyard offers a good view of the lake dam (though there is seating inside if the weather proves inclement). There is usually plenty of parking just across the road (the car park also serves the sculpture park walks below the dam). The café offers cycle hire (though we have never had need to use their service), and advertises that cyclists and motor bikers are welcome.

To find the café, drive from the south-western end of the dam down the narrow road (past the RSPB shop on the right, then past the Artisans café and bike hire on the left), and the Old Barn Café is on the right facing and just above you, opposite the sculpture trail car park).

In our opinion, much to be preferred to the competitor Artisan café on all counts.

• Visited July 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly and helpful”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My friend and I arrived at Lake Vyrnwy by mistake, we were actually trying to go to Bala !
However, we did not regret our mistake. Upon arrival, we stopped at the first car park, close to Artisans cafe, we decided to go for a quick walk before our lunch. As we walked down, we came across a lovely courtyard, with beautiful views of the dam, a couple of craft shops, the Old Barn Café and a shop offering cycle hire. We had cappuccinos, homemade barabrith at the café and sunbathed for a bit before deciding to head off. The staff from the café were very helpful in pointing out the different walks and sightseeing spots we could go to.
We went back for lunch by 3 pm and i had lovely homemade quiche ( one of the best I've ever tasted), my friend had a crusty tuna baguette which she thoroughly enjoyed.
All in all, it was a very pleasant day out and we'll go back again for sure

• Visited June 2014
Kinver, United Kingdom
“Perfect place for a bite to eat whilst exploring lake Wynrwy”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We had a family day out cycling around the lake. We used the visitor centre etc as our mid point lunch stop. The Barn Cafe serves up excellent baguettes. Fresh and crispy. We sampled the BLT, Egg mayo and Tuna between us. They all came with a mixed leaf and chopped pepper side salad that that had an olive oil based dressing. All served in a pleasant courtyard setting. Highly recommended and somewhere we would aim for again without a doubt.

• Visited May 2014
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful little cafe with the best view ever of the Victorian Dam”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

After a wonderful morning walking around the spectacular lake we stopped for lunch in this delightful little cafe.. That had been recommended by our friends (we had been to the Artizans cafe previously but it only overlooks a car park!) We Sat on the courtyard outside the cafe with the best view of the dam we had seen all day. The food was reasonably priced and very tasty with pleasant staff. Could recommend the stick toffee pudding. they also do bike hire which we intend to do on our next visit.

• Visited May 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Devoid of taste”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went in a party of six over the August bank holiday weekend.

The menu varied from sandwiches, to more substantial options such as lasagne, chilli con carne, chicken burgers....and prices are reasonable; around £5 to £7.00 for a main course.

When placing our order, I'd decided that I'd prefer chips with my beef lasagne instead of chips. A reasonable request, you'd think, but we were told flatly and rather abruptly that chips could not replace the garlic bread and salad, that was how the meal was, that was how it came. In short, there could be NO variation from the printed menu options! I accepted this, but must admit I was a little shocked about the tone in which we had been told the latter.

Whilst waiting we ordered a pot of tea, but found we were a cup short. Back at the counter, I asked for another cup. "what sort of cup?" was the reply. I mean, a cup is a cup right? I ended up pointing to a cup and ended up with what I wanted - a victory!

When the food came it was clear that it had all come out of the freezer despite there being some mention of "locally sourced products" on the menu and some other mention how all of the food is freshly prepared so they asked for customers to be patient.........well, my patience was tested!

All in all, poor service and food which was rather tasteless.

• Visited August 2013