“Beautiful location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
Wigan
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with character set in the mid Wales area, surrounded by beautiful countryside and a mile from the village of Llanweddyn. The village itself is interesting as is the history of the area. The rooms were very clean and had all the amenities that made the stay comfortable, including the complimentary use of bathrobes. The food was generally good but at times a little disappointing in terms of quality and taste. For example, the bacon served on the first breakfast was streaky and not crisp but on the second morning after I'd asked for the bacon to be cooked more, I was offered a choice of the type of bacon. Most of the staff were friendly, cheerful and helpful which helped to make the stay so enjoyable. It's a pity that there was an additional charge for the spa which didn't have a swimming pool. However, it was very good value for money for us because we booked through Groupon. This is a great hotel for a relaxing break in the middle of wonderfully unspoilt countryside.

Room Tip: Paying the extra for the Lake View room added to the relaxing experience.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Vyrnwy. I am pleased that on balance you enjoyed your time here. Relaxing breaks in the middle of wonderfully unspoilt countryside are certainly what we are hoping to achieve.

I am truly sorry that you left our restaurant feeling disappointed, this is not norm - your comments I will share with our chef.

I do hope that will think of us when you are next in need of a relaxing break.
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
Barmouth
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We have just returned from our daughter's wedding which was held at the hotel last week-end. We had a wonderful time absolutely everything was perfect and very professional. We found the staff very efficient and friendly especially Sue - who seemed to personally supervise the whole weekend of the wedding, she did an excellent job and certainly ensured everything went well and everyone had whatever they needed. We had spent all our working life in hotels and have high standards - I wish I had had a Sue in charge of banqueting at my Hotel - she was great! We really felt the whole wedding package was excellent and all the services they put us in contact with such as the florist at Lavender Blue and the photographer at Splash to be very efficient and professional. Lake Vyrnwy is such a beautiful location with wonderful scenery that whatever the weather you have a great back drop for the photos! So thank you all who worked so hard to make the Wedding so special for our friends and family - I can't wait to return asap

Room Tip: A room with a lake view bath. Room 1 and 3 are very nice!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julia C
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
May I begin by wishing your daughter and son in law best wishes from us all at Lake Vyrnwy (Sophie & Mark, I believe). Thank you so much for such a kind review, I am delighted that you and your family chose to spend such a happy occasion here with us at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to be able to pass your kind words on to our team – to Sue especially who works incredibly hard to ensure that all of our Bride & Grooms and families & friends have a wonderfully special day.

We certainly hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel – and soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from this fabulous hotel after booking an overnight stay with evening meal, breakfast and use of the thermal suite. We paid extra for a room with a lake view, and were not disappointed. The room was lovely, with fantastic views of the lake from both the bedroom and bathroom. We were not overlooked at all which was lovely, and added to the privacy. We both had very professional spa treatments which were great, and the thermal suite had everything you could want for a relaxing stay. The meal was amongst the finest we have ever tasted, with the atmosphere in the restaurant both relaxed and inviting. Although the weather was not kind, we were able to walk around the lake which is simply stunning. We would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to others.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed so much of your stay and will certainly take great pleasure in relaying your lovely comments to our spa team.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the lake soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on an Amazon special which meant we didn't get a very nice room in the end. The room wasn't worth what we did pay for it. The bathroom was trashed and the room was so hot even with the radiators shut off which meant we had to sleep with the windows wide open. We had a. "Garden view" which was the car park and noisy in the am. The restaurant was great but only one or two servers spoke English fluently.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel. Your comments took me rather aback; please accept my apologies for any shortcomings with the room. It would be useful if you could perhaps contact the hotel informing us of the room number so that I can check that all is well.

With regards to allocation of rooms we are very careful to be equitable no matter which arrangement brings you to Vyrnwy; having said that there are three distinct standards of room, each attracting a different price point. In addition, on occasion Autumn and Spring can challenge the business with temperatures fluctuating wildly through the day – this being particularly so this October, with warm days and chilly nights.

Within the restaurant we have a great core of local staff supplemented by seasonal staff; whilst some are from the UK we do welcome a mix of great young people from all corners of the world which adds a wonderful colour to the Lake Vyrnwy Experience. One thought, might a few of the staff be talking in their native Welsh?

I do hope that you may give us another try.

Best Regards
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is ideal situated on the edge of a Lake, with great views. A little remote but this adds to the experience.

We stayed in a jnr suit which was excellent, it was clean and well maintained

The hotel also is clean and well maintained

The lounge area of the hotel is so laid back, and commands views of the Lake and the hills, and bar prices are not unreasonable unlike some hotels.

However do not expect it to be adults only as there were a some couples with small children staying.

Most impressive were the staff who are polite and obviously well trained, but also friendly.

We stayed two nights the first night we ate in the Hotel restaurant. There is the choice of five courses or three at a set price. I would say the three course is good value however not so sure on the five course. My only observations are as follows

My starter had a cold topping, the topping I considered was too cold and lost its flavour as if straight from the fridge. For desert I had the Cheese, this again was to cold, after it had sat on my plate a while and warmed up it was better. The courses I also felt were rushed with little time between. I know this suits some people but I like to take my time over a meal.

The second night we ate in the Pub which joins on the hotel. The food was good, and plenty of choice. The public bar of the pub is as it says, public and is obviously used by the locals, not an issue just a note. The lounge bar is ideal however I suspect as I was warned that if there is a large Wedding or function in the room next door, it could get very busy.

I would like to see an alternative menu in the hotel, aswell as the set course.

Breakfast was good, the second morning we had room service at an extra £5 a bargin.

Would I return, yes and will,

Room Tip: We booked a jnr suit, which had its own lounge, the views were great and it added to our weekend, ho...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much indeed for the full review; I am glad that in balance you enjoyed your stay.
While we do welcome young guests, they do not tend to be in attendance apart from three half term breaks a year.

You mention a cold starter and cold cheese, a true challenge. Whilst our chefs would wish to bring these all up to room temperature, modern kitchen practice and current thinking insist that these items should be kept in a controlled temperature environment until served – oh how we would love to have an old fashioned dessert trolley and smelly cheeses.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Lake soon.

Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed for one night with friends.
Went for a lovely walk in the afternoon, the whole area is beautiful.
Hotel extremely comfortable and welcoming.
They seem to have got furnishings etc just right.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Room at the back which was slightly noisy early in the morning with delivery trucks.
Again furnishings in keeping with the hotel.
Spotlessly clean, comfy bed, toiletries, robe large variety tea/coffee etc.
Dinner was a delight.
Food fabulous, service excellent.
Wine prices reasonable.
They have a large selection of gins which are worth sampling.
Dogs welcome in room with small charge.
Can't fault this hotel.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Front lake facing rooms will be quieter and have a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a kind and detailed review. I am delighted that you enjoyed so much of your stay and I will be certain to pass on your lovely comments.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the lake.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We arrived this Friday and were very impressed by the welcome and main reception area. The room though was not so welcoming, we expected something a little more special having stayed at various country and city hotels. The room smelt a bit and the bed was a standard double (do hotels really have these nowadays!). We had a lake view room and the view was lovely but we were disappointed with the old-style tv and dated furniture (not antique, just old-fashioned). We found the bed comfortable despite knocking much stuff off the bedside tables during the night due to the small bed! The double shower saved time but was tepid at best. Despite the room, we had a great time, the food was lovely, the staff all very helpful and polite and the spa a lovely retreat. Not sure we would pay the same price again for what we received.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to pen your review. I am delighted that overall you had a great time. I am guessing by comments that you stayed in what we call a standard Lake View room – which are indeed the smaller rooms in the old part of the house, this is of course reflected in the rate that we ask guests to pay.

I am truly sorry that you had to experience tepid water and I know that the maintenance team checked things over during the day.

With regards to room furnishings I think our nice wall mounted flat-screened TVs might be quite offended to be called old fashioned; having said that they are now a couple of years old, and as the latest raft of technology becomes more mainstream we will be planning a review of the in room technology.

Anthony Rosser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanwddyn
Pale Hall Hotel
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfyllin

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!