Lake Virnwy - one of the most special spots anywhere. You can stroll or bike around the lake or for as long as you feel, stop at a picnic spot by the waters edge, and drink in the amazing view. Despite its unhappy origins, when 500 villagers were evicted to flood the valley for a water reservoir for what was then the "corporation of Liverpool," this is an astounding spot. Not so the hotel that is lucky enough to have the best view of all. There is the original part of the hotel and the newer spa and eating place. The latter is uninteresting and could be anywhere. The former has a cosy atmosphere and some interesting original furniture and paintings etc. but it is shabby and badly in need of TLC not to say a good vacuum. The staff seemed not to care. As we walked in, reception staff looked at us and offered neither a smile nor a welcome or greeting. Tea was delicious and served with tasty home made cookies but the tray was banged down on the table with no effort to set out the cups and, in fact, they would not even serve tea unless we gave our name! A corner cafe knows better how to make its customers welcome! There is a generally naff attitude. For example, there is a folder with fascinating historical information about Virnwy but the photocopy is so bad we could barely read it and no one has had the nous to change it. There is a terrace from which one can drink in the gorgeous view but the naff attitude reached even there - two plastic orange Jacobs crackers boxes had been left on the terrace with water (for pets?). Where are staff standards? This place badly needs someone with high service standards and an eye that can eradicate its lack of finesse. The beauty of the location cries out for better than this hotel seems willing to offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1890, this privately owned 4 star Victorian Country House Hotel & Spa is elegant, yet relaxed. Positioned on the fringe of Snowdonia within a 24,000 acre nature reserve, the hotel offers a unique and incomparable setting: hosting one of the most famous picturesque backdrops in Mid Wales. The hotel has 52 individually decorated bedrooms, 35 affording lake views and some with special features such as balconies and four posters. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Vyrnwy Hotel Llanwddyn
- Lake Vyrnwy Hotel And Spa
- Hotel Lake Vyrnwy
- Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa Wales/Llanwddyn