“Gem of a location that has lost it's way”

Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Gem of a location that has lost it's way”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Lake Virnwy - one of the most special spots anywhere. You can stroll or bike around the lake or for as long as you feel, stop at a picnic spot by the waters edge, and drink in the amazing view. Despite its unhappy origins, when 500 villagers were evicted to flood the valley for a water reservoir for what was then the "corporation of Liverpool," this is an astounding spot. Not so the hotel that is lucky enough to have the best view of all. There is the original part of the hotel and the newer spa and eating place. The latter is uninteresting and could be anywhere. The former has a cosy atmosphere and some interesting original furniture and paintings etc. but it is shabby and badly in need of TLC not to say a good vacuum. The staff seemed not to care. As we walked in, reception staff looked at us and offered neither a smile nor a welcome or greeting. Tea was delicious and served with tasty home made cookies but the tray was banged down on the table with no effort to set out the cups and, in fact, they would not even serve tea unless we gave our name! A corner cafe knows better how to make its customers welcome! There is a generally naff attitude. For example, there is a folder with fascinating historical information about Virnwy but the photocopy is so bad we could barely read it and no one has had the nous to change it. There is a terrace from which one can drink in the gorgeous view but the naff attitude reached even there - two plastic orange Jacobs crackers boxes had been left on the terrace with water (for pets?). Where are staff standards? This place badly needs someone with high service standards and an eye that can eradicate its lack of finesse. The beauty of the location cries out for better than this hotel seems willing to offer.

Room Tip: Sorry - not a place I would wish to sleep in on the basis of this experience.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went here for our 25th wedding anniversary and had a great time. We booked a spa break and the whole thing was great value. I wouldnt say it is cheap for where it is but they have clearly spent some serious money on the place and it was in my view good value for the price. The lake view room we had on the top floor (number 51 I think) was spectacular. The Spa is smallish but beautifully appointed and for us at least very quiet and private, excellent massages by the way.

Foodd is good and the views stunning particularly from the restaurants and the lake view rooms. There is plenty to do locally as well. And the staff were without exception courteous and helpful. It is difficult to fault it and we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view, the higher up the better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Let me first begin by wishing you a belated ‘Happy Anniversary’. I am delighted that you chose to spend your anniversary here with us, and so pleased to read that you had such a great time. It does have to be said, it doesn't get much more romantic than watching the sunset over the lake from the privacy of your own balcony.

Thank you for such a kind review, I sincerely hope that we will welcome you back to the lake soon.

Dijon, France
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Over the last few years this hotel has had some money spent on it to make sure that the interior begins to rival the beauty of its location looking down the lake.

It's not cheap for the location in the mid-boarder area, considering it can be challenging to get to. But it's now a nice place to hang out, there's a good spa with the usual range of treatments. And then of course there's loads of outdoor stuff to do, fishing, shooting (clay and walked up birds), incredible range of walking, boating and given that we arrived on motorcycles, it was a treat when the manager introduced himself and suggested a cracking route for us the following day.

Decent restaurant as well.

We liked the whole experience so much we changed our plans and stayed a second night.

This is not a Ritz Carlton/Hilton kind of fancy hotel, it's a very good country house hotel with a lot to offer as long as you want to be active.

All the rooms have great views down the lake but if I was booking again I'd go for Room 3 which is larger, has its own balcony although it does cost a little more.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am so pleased that so much of your stay was to your liking – and delighted that you chose to stay with us for a second night, how wonderful.

Although a little bias, we do believe that the best way to experience Lake Vyrnwy is by making the most of what there is to offer here, I am glad that you were able to do so in the short time that you stayed at the lake.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel – hopefully for a little longer next time.

Best Regards
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We dropped in on spec on our way back from the Welsh coast on a glorious day in August 2013.
The food is marvellous - but the view - that is outstanding! We were lucky enough to be given a table in the window (for which we are very grateful) and the whole experience cannot be faulted.
Note that gentlemen are required to wear long trousers at dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you indeed for your kind review. I am delighted to find so much praise in your notes.

It does have to be said, watching the sun go down over the Lake with nice food, and the company of someone special really is a great experience.

I do hope that we will welcome you back soon, perhaps for a longer stay.

Birmingham
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. I stayed here 1st to 3rd September 2013 (just come back!) and it was a special break for my birthday. I was not disappointed.
The room was lovely, spotlessly clean and very in keeping with the hotel (we had a balcony room) with the most amazing view of the lake. Just stunning. The staff were all exceptionally polite, friendly and helpful and put on a couple of little birthday surprises that really made my day and the whole experience unforgettable. The food was beautiful (especially the steak! Fabulous juicy welsh beef!!)

The tranquility is fabulous, had a lovely walk down the back of the hotel to the little church, which is just so peaceful and in such pretty surroundings. you can really take in that welsh air and feel totally at peace. Whilst it is a bit out of the way, you would naturally expect it to be given its location overlooking the lake and it was something I wanted, to really be able to escape and have that relaxing break. Which I did.

The spa staff were lovely and I had a fabulous massage that really relaxed me for the rest of the day.

Everyone is so lovely here and so welcoming, the hotel is beautiful and the surroundings and landscape are just amazing. It truly is a place to get away and have real relaxation and be pampered. I cant recommend this hotel highly enough and will most definitely be coming back here as soon as I can!

Room Tip: Highly recommend spending that bit extra on a balcony room overlooking the lake. Fantastic view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DebbieG77
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Where do I begin? Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of your recent stay at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel. I am delighted that you were able to enjoy so much of what the area has to offer, and still leave feeling truly pampered.

I sincerely hope that you will think of us when future Birthdays are approaching, or when you are in need of a little relaxation; we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kindest Regards

Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent one night at the hotel, location is stunning and reception staff very friendly and helpful. Fabulous room with lots of lovely little extras it also had great views over the lake. We were attending a family function and the food was very good along with a very positive attitude of the staff.its not cheap but worth a nice treat.

Room Tip: Have a lake view room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel – and for a family celebration too! It is always so lovely to see the hotel full of family and friends.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I certainly hope that we will see you at the Lake again soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We went there for a little weekend holiday. When we got there we had to look to see where the nearest shop was but it was aprox 9 miles away.

I liked it there and the pub was nice but the restaurant menu didn't meet what I expected

I would stay again but not in any rush

• Stayed August 2013
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Most tell us that being away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life is part of the charm of Lake Vyrnwy Hotel; our guests value the opportunity to take a relaxing break away from it all.

To address your comment regarding shopping in the local area, there are in fact a few shops in close proximity to the hotel. The local convenience store is in the village of Llanwddyn only a mile away, lovely craft stores and cafes can be found over the dam – a 15
minute walk from the hotel.

The vast majority who do eat tell us of their delight, so I feel sure that the experience that you had is an aberration, and were you to eat again you would thoroughly enjoy the experience. We have two food offerings at the hotel – our Tower Restaurant which is a formal dinner experience consisting of a 2 or 5 course meal to enjoy at your leisure – starting with canapés and ending with coffee and petit fours. Alternatively there is the Tavern Bistro which is a far a more relaxed approach to dining.

I am pleased to note that you had a nice stay; I hope that we will one day welcome you back to the lake.

Anthony Rosser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanwddyn
Pale Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Llanarmon DC
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!