“Fantastic!”

Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Myself and two friends took advantage of the recent Travelzoo deal. The deal was for two people but as we wanted all three of us to share a room to avoid single room supplements, we called the hotel beforehand. The very friendly receptionist advised that this was possible, we just needed to pay th hotel direct for the 3rd person dinner, bed and breakfast rate.

We also decided to take advantage of the £25 upgrade charge to have a Superior Lake View Room to give us more room.

On arrival our room wasn't ready, which was understandable as it was only midday, so we left our luggage behind reception and went to the Tower Tavern and had a reasonably priced lunch.

We then visited the spa as we had pre-booked treatments. Unfortunately the jacuzzi wasn't working, but the staff were very apologetic and didn't charge is the £10 spa fee. We took advantage of the rest of the spa facilities and relaxed fully.

None of us could fault our treatments, they were amazing.

We then headed back to the hotel to the bar for our truffles and glass of champagne (included in our Travelzoo deal) check into our room, which had a balcony and lake view. There was plenty of room for our bags even with a large king sized bed and extra single bed in the room. We did have to call down for a 3rd mug and gown etc and we also requested an ice bucket, these were delivered to the room promptly and they even gave us extra biscuits!

The furniture and curtains etc are a bit dated (a bit chintzy) but in keeping with the age of the hotel. Room facilities included flat screen TV, table and chairs, kettle, cafetiere and nice biscuits. Lovely big bathroom with bath and separate power shower.

Dinner was amazing!! Couldn't fault one course. We had a table overlooking the lake (I think maybe these are allocated to people in Superior rooms?).

Breakfast was lovely too. Freshly cooked to order and then a buffet of cereals, fresh fruit and croissants etc.

Every member of staff was friendly, every single housekeeper/cleaner said good morning when we passed them on the way to breakfast and the receptionists at the hotel and spa couldn't have been more helpful.
We will be back!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a lake view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LadyL_7
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you very much indeed for your kind review, and I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time here at Lake Vyrnwy.

The window tables in the restaurant are an interesting challenge, on a summers evening everybody will request one, so we simply manage them on a first come first served basis, although often we are able to relay the place settings for later in the evening.

It does have to be said, watching the sun go down over the Lake with nice food, a glass of something decent in your hand sitting across the table form someone special really is a great experience..................

I hope we may welcome you and your friends back before too long

Best regards

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had heard of this hotel from friends and have meant to visit for a while now. We were attracted by the offer of a ‘Lambing Break’ with an organised visit to the nearby RSPB Organic Farm. This proved to be a fantastic experience as we not only saw lambs being born, I also had the chance (and took it!) to actually help deliver one myself….. a very moving experience.

The hotel is just wonderful. The staff is so friendly – as were the guests we got talking to. Our room (no 4) was on the first floor and had a fantastic view of the lake. So did the bathroom and it took me a while to get used to using the facilities there while also admiring the view through the clear glass. The housekeeping was ‘spot on’ and I also appreciated the slightly quirky idea of putting the soft toy puppy outside the room when you do not wish to be disturbed, or do not wish a turn down service.

We thought the restaurant was first rate and the waiting staff and bar staff were so helpful explaining what was on offer. As someone else writes the menu showed three courses but a soup taster and sorbet is included & they were delicious on both nights. There is a choice of lounges to have your coffee in afterwards and also the terrace which was a real ‘pull’ as the weather was superb. A little warmer and I would have asked for my breakfast out there!

We did not use the spa, but I think the idea of charging extra (£10 per day) is a good one. Being charged for something I do not wish to use is always a turn off for me; this way you have a choice.

We are keen walkers and bird watchers and the surrounding area offers every opportunity for both pursuits. I can’t wait to go back.

Room Tip: Go for a lake view - well worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review, and also many congratulations on joining in with the Lambing, a little piece of the ancient way of life that is still the defining force in these hills.

The intricate web that puts a 4 star hotel in the midst of a traditional rural community with the interests of an ever increasing number of enquiring and well informed visitors, viable food production, fragile wildlife and the commercial necessity to provide sustainable income in a remote rural area is complex, but it is what Vyrnwy is all about.

Stay a while in the valley and you will contribute. The young receptionist who checks you in might well be a shepherdess returned from an evening in the lambing sheds or a day on the hills. The porter who mixes a fine G&T in the Tower bar may well have combined his daily work here with time of the family farm.

The housekeeper you meet on the corridors might well have seen most of it before, she has probably been here for a few years, 30, 40, 50, and if her children or grandchildren are not working here right now, the chances are they once did. I guess that all this and more is why I am blessed with such a wonderful bunch of characters that make up the Vyrnwy team, and we all look forward to welcoming you back

Best regards

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Have just spent a fantastic two nights in this wonderful old hotel. The staff were all so friendly and helpful . On he first night we opted to eat in the tavern bar and the food was great and good value.On night two we ate in the restaurant overlooking the lake.Food was superb and the service first rate with an excellent wine selection. Our room was clean and very well equipped with a good shower,tv and fridge. This is a really beautiful part of the world and the local walks are wonderful. We will be back without a doubt and hope to try the fly fishing and bit of shooting. We had a great afternoon in the spa which is first rate ,very clean and well equipped. Its not cheap but for the standard of food and service its not expensive either. If you see this place on a vouchers site snap it up! We cant wait to come back.

Room Tip: lake side is better and come with a bath, rear rooms only have a shower
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review, and I am glad you enjoyed the 2 different food offerings we have, designed specifically to be very different. You might eat formally in the restaurant on one evening, and less so on another. From award winning fine dinning cuisine to a really great Burger made with Welsh Black beef mince from our wonderful butcher over the mountains in Bala.

You would be very welcome to enjoy a little fishing and shooting, not only do we have a multi trap clay shooting range a few hundred yards from the hotel, the lake its self is the second oldest stocked trout fishery in the world, and one of the finest upland lakes in Wales. Truly classical Wild Brown Trout and stocked Rainbow trout fishing.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My friends and i love staying at vyrnwy so much we return every year. Its a complete treasure - a real hideaway from the pressures of everyday life. If you like tranqulity and peace this is the place. Yes it is an old hotel and there is something of the 'shabby chic' about it but thisadds to the charm. We love it and the staff are always so friendly and helpful. They even helped us dig ourcars out of the snow this time (one may even have been the manager?!).
Can't understand the negative reviews - its stunning. Food great too :)

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your kind review." A hideaway from the pressures of daily life" really encapsulates what we try to achieve here very succinctly, and the good news that actually it really isn't that far away, the motorway is just over an hour, and driving the wonderful roads around here is all part of the adventure.

And yes I was to be found wrangling a snow shovel, although the wrong side of fifty to keep up with the young blades! It was an interesting few days with the biggest snow fall for several decades, the estates team were amazing. Apart from a couple of guests who blindly followed their satnavs into snow drifts on remote roads, we got everyone here and away safely. We lost power for 23 hours, but the generators held up, a few staff had to sleep over and our suppliers took detours of hundreds of miles to get food and drink to us. Simply put the show went on, the way it always has done.

We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps in less challenging conditions

Regards

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We booked a travelzoo special deal, for £139 per couple, for 1 night dinner bed and breakfast, and champagne and truffles. You also have the option to extend the stay for £25 per night--on a room only basis--do it. It is FABULOUS.
We upgraded to a deluxe, lake view room, well worth the extra--as the views of the lake are STUNNING!!
I am disabled, so we booked a disabled room, 36--it was very large--on the second floor--with stunning views, but had not been well adapted. The wet room didn't drain properly; very slippery and had no shelves. All the power points in the room, were nowhere near the mirrors, so I had to dry my hair, standing up--with electric cables trailing everywhere--dangerous. There was also no dressing table with seat--so it was very difficult to do my makeup. For some obscure reaon, they had nailed up one door of the wardrobe--making access to clothes, very difficult.
The following morning, when I pointed out the problems to the receptionist, she was most concerned, and extremely helpful. We moved to room 40, in the new extension--it was Fantastic. A huge 4poster room, with balcony and view of the lake, superbly appointed, with cofee table, armchairs--fridge--and a beautiful bathroom with deep bath and walk in shower.

The dinner was lovely, the menu only gives 3 courses--but you actually get 6. soup, starter, sorbet, maincourse, desert and coffee with homemade chocolates. The food was excellent--but the service was a little slow--they seamed rather understaffed, on the Monday night. We booked for 7.45 but were still waiting to order at 8.30. In fact I was so tired we did not manage cofee that night.
Top tip--eat early --or late; at peak times the service will be slow!

Breakfast was pretty average, self service cereals, juices etc, and waitress service for cooked food, toast and tea and coffee. Again the service can be very slow, at busy times, and I never got the sauce I requested--depite asking twice. At nearly £17 a head--a bit steep if yo are on room only--and no possibility off just paying for a coninental breakfast.

The hotel is quite isolated--particularly in bad weather; we therefore ate a couple of times in the attached Tower Bistro. Do not be put off by looking through the windows--we nearly were. The bar at the front--with pooltables and slot machines--looks very downmarket. The Bistro at the back, is lovely, serves excellent--reasonably priced food--and has views over the lake. Toptip--prebook, as it gets very busy--both at lunch time--and in the evening.

The Spa is great fun--pity there is no swimming pool. I was also surprised that hotel guests were charged £10 each to use it. We were snowed in, one day so spent it luxuriating on heated loungers, popping in and out of the Jacuzzi, Sauna, (Very hot,) and the Rainforest showers. We then had an "Ice fight" Truly an ICE and FIRE experience. We were so chilled out--we ordered Room service--which was fast and efficient.

If possible, book a room on the First or second floor--in the new wing; the higher floors, have better lake views.

There is only one lift--at the back of the Spa, and you have to go outside to acess it from reception, or the dining room--a real downer when it is raining. It is also only meant for staff and disabled guests. It is in reality, a moving platform, that moves up nd down the shaft, it has no sides. When calling the lift--you have to keep your finger on the button--untill it appears. Also when in motion you have to keep the button depressed--take your finger off--and the lift stops. This was very difficult for me--as my hands are riddled with rheumatoid Arthritis. The lift is also very noisy, and at one point nearly shuddered to a stop--very frightening for the elderly lady sharing it with me.
Despite all its small faults--I thoroughly recommend this Hotel--there is so much to see and do in the area. I will certainly be returning--hopefully to room40!

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room in the new wing. Room 40 is a fantastic 4poster deluxe room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

What a pleasure to receive such a full review, and I am delighted that you found so much to praise in your notes. How nice to be described as a "fairy tale".....If you listen to most of the youngsters in our village, Princesses and Fairies really do inhabit the Tower on the Lake, and those who don't believe it now surely did at one time.

Thank you for your comments regarding the adapted Lake view room. Some years ago we invested in 2 fully adapted rooms, but neither had the benefit of a Lake View, so listening to the opinions of the increasing numbers of guests who needed adapted facilities and valued a Lake View room, we decided to "retro fit an existing bathroom", not an easy task. The result is not perfect, but the adaption has made the Lake View and balcony available to so many more, and it has become very popular. I will however be sure to visit with my maintenance team and double check everything is in order.

We hope to be welcoming you back to the Lake before too long

Regards

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We felt as though we've been in another world at The Vyrnwy Hotel even though we were only 70 minutes from home! The mist hung over the lake the whole time we were there but somehow it just added to its romantic location. The staff are very welcoming and the room in the newer part was very large and thankfully warm. Likewise the bathroom which had both a double ended bath and a separate Matki shower cubicle. We had a countryside view and a small balcony with furniture on it though it was far too cold to go out on it. A bonus was the champagne and truffles on the first afternoon of the two day stay and that was followed by a five course meal which was very good. My husband was very pleased to find Stonehouse Station bitter on draught in both the hotel bar and the next door tavern. It's a very long way to go for real ale if you don't find it at the hotel! There is free WiFi all over the hotel and in all the rooms now.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here and for your kind comments. Being Wales, Vyrnwy is most certainly in another country, as for being in another world...well we understand what you mean.

Recent good news is that the Station Bitter won a gold medal at the recent SIBA National Beer Competition. We are so lucky to have relationships with so many really good local suppliers. We look forward to welcoming you back. Anthony Rosser

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel 3 times and was married there NYE.
What can I say, the food is absolutely fantastic in the hotel and also the pub attached does some great pub food if your palette fancies something less fussy.
The staff remember us from previous visits ( I hope that isn't a bad thing) and nothing is too much trouble for the staff who even arranged for me to have soya milk during my stay.
The spa is tip rate too, had an amazing facial.
Can't rate this hotel high enough, great whenever I visit and stunning location.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are stunning , I prefer the old part of the hotel for more of a country house charm...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Regular customers who over time become friends, I suspect that is part of What Vyrnwy is all about. It was a pleasure to host your wedding and a pleasure to welcome you back.
Good luck and very best regards
Anthony Rosser

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanwddyn
Pale Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bala
Cain Valley Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfyllin

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!