“Enjoyable”

Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Llanwddyn
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in an idyllic setting with views of Lake Vyrnwy in Llanwddyn. The Lakeview Restaurant and Tearooms is a charming place to stop for tea and scones, lunch with a view or a romantic meal for two. The family-run restaurant is renowned for its delicious home-cooked food, and the dining room is decorated with pale salmon-pink walls, a brick fireplace and an eclectic display of British bric a brac. The Lakeview Restaurant's menu includes classic dishes such as the fillet of salmon in a delicate creamy tarragon sauce served with a jacket potato; the tender duckling fillet served in a delicious orange sauce with vegetables; and the traditional treacle sponge served with warm custard.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Up a long track , we eventually arrived at the welsh cottage where we enjoyed afternoon tea and cream scones, delicious! The service was very good and the owners were very. A place to visit if you are in the area (takes some finding).

1  Thank Roughdales

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I felt I had to write a review after seeing the previous review and the problem with the tables. This was a lovely little tea room and the staff were very friendly (I'm presuming they were the owners). My family (Hubby, 8 year old son and 15 week old baby) ordered lunch and desserts that were delicious! The lady that served us was very welcoming and interested in our family, she was also very knowledgeable about the local area and gave directions to the waterfall.

1  Thank Danielle M
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The very friendly owners stayed open late especially to accommodate us 10 cyclists for dinner. It was good value for money, and the apple crumble was really good.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

At first we thought it was great to find a place that welcomed 2 small dogs and had lovely views across the lake. The owner even offered a bowl of water for the dogs.

However this idyllic setting turned sour when my mother attempted to move the table very slightly because she couldn't quite get her knee comfortable. The waiter shouted at her, 'DON'T MOVE THE TABLES!! - there's a sign there!!!' - and sure enough there was a sign fairly high up on the wall telling customers not to move the tables - we hadn't seen it, and to be honest it was not the sort of sign we would expect to find in a restaurant, but fair enough it was there.

My mother apologised and then happened to mention that some friends were on their way...'Well make sure they don't move the tables either!' - came the stern reply. So we all felt a bit uncomfortable.

I made a trip to the bathroom, leaving my parents and 88 year old aunty to enjoy the view - and keep their hands OFF the tables.

While in the bathroom I could hear the waiter discussing his experience with my relatives...
'Why do people feel the need to move the bloody furniture around!! - I wouldn't go into their bloody house and move their bloody furniture around!! - If they're going to start being awkward, I'll be bloody awkward back!!'

I went out and calmly told him that I'm sure no one had any intention of being awkward, I'm sure the table was moved - half an inch - for a good reason, and I'm sorry we didn't see the sign.

By now, the chef and joined us, 'It takes us hours to put those tables in the right place!' he said, 'You can't just shift them around!'

Eventually I offered to leave - it was obvious that this was going to be an uncomfortable lunch.

So my Aunty, who was celebrating her 88th birthday, my parents who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and our friends calmly got up and left.

We fully appreciate that some restaurants have their rules and safety measures, but there are ways and means of sharing these with customers. You are inviting people into your establishment and expect them to pay for the pleasure - it's your job to make them feel welcome, as I do if I invite people to my home.

This awkward rudeness was so unnecessary; rather than shout at my Octogenarian mother, perhaps it would have been more friendly to ask if he could help at all, and politely point out the unexpected sign - we didn't see it, perhaps its in the wrong place, it might be better to add it to the signs on the road leading up to the restaurant warning sightseers to stay away.

In the end we carried on to the local hotel with spectacular views across the lakes, much more comfortable seating, friendly staff and tables we were allowed to move.

So I guess he did us a favour in the end.

3  Thank Paul W
clarklakevyrnwy, Manager at Lakeview Tearoom & Licensed Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

The person who welcomed you & offered water for your dogs was the waiter not the owner.The person moving the table was a gentleman not your mother to whom the waiter said 'Do you mind not moving the tables as it says on the notice' The gentleman laughed and dropping the table said 'I was hardly taking it off down the track'. Then later as the chef told you 'It takes a long time to arrange the tables.' This is because of the limited space on the patio and they are set in their places so that ALL customers can enjoy the view. You again then said to the chef that you were not taking the tables off down the track. At no stage did the the waiter shout at your mother.The reason for the signs asking sightseers to stay away is again because of the limited amount of parking places which are only sufficient for our customers.We are proud of our customer relations please note our feedback, and I am glad you found a place that could accomodate you and your party and your needs.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had a lovely welsh cream tea, here sitting outside with a spectacular view of the lake, the staff were really friendly and the tea WW delicious, scones, welsh cakes and Bara brith.