“No swimming for children”

The Lake Country House & Spa
Scottsdale, Arizona
“No swimming for children”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

It seems like a lovely hotel and lovely swimming pools- including a lovely indoor pool, and we would have loved to enjoy them. However, just before confirming a booking we were informed that children under the age of 8 were not allowed to use the swimming pools, and children age 8-16 were allowed just one hour a day!! We have a very well behaved lovely 5 year old girl who is an excellent swimmer, but she would not be allowed to use the pools. On that basis, we cancelled our reservation. No wonder this hotel has lots of rooms available.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank ultrasounddoc
Howard E, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
We are deeply saddened to see you have chosen to leave a one star review despite not actually booking or staying at The Lake Country House. As this in violation of Trip Advisor's guidelines, we have asked them to remove the review. I'd just like to add that although our child policies may appear stringent, it’s for this reason that many guests choose to return again and again. I am glad that our reception team supplied you with all the information you needed to make an informed decision before making your booking. We wish you all the best in your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I booked a Secret Escapes offer to celebrate my husband's birthday and must say we were not disappointed.
On arrival new carpet was being layed in reception and up the staircase so we couldn't check in. No problem we had a light lunch on the lawn which was delicious.
Our accommodation was in the adjoining block and as indicated by a previous reviewer was indeed spacious, well maintained, clean and extremely comfortable.
Restaurant was excellent and please don't take up the suggestion of background music! On our second evening we had the 8 course Taster Menu which was delicious as was the meal on our first evening.
We had the pool to ourselves each time we went and the weather was so good that we were able to sit on the terrace outside the pool to dry off. Only drawback to this was the occasional niff of sewage from the septic tank located nearby.
Wonderful walks in the grounds and on the hills surrounding.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable two night stay.
We shall return!!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Chris W
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We booked a 2night stay at this fabulous country house & spa ,the grounds are superb well maintained very picturesque with its lake , gardens & area's to stroll . peaceful &relaxing&quite. The lodges .swimming pool & spa were very inviting ! ! However my stay was very disappointing , it wasn't cheap &we didn't get what we paid for. We stayed in the house YES it is very authentic but very antiquated The TV was a little old silver television ( very old ) as was the settee /chairs /tables chest of draws & mirror along with the light fitting/ lamps & i do mean old this was disappointing because the carpet /curtains /headboard & wallpaper behind the the lovely big comfortable bed we a lot more up to date , if the rest followed suit it would be a lovely room , just a shame the windows had not been cleaned so the view when the sun shone just highlighted the cobwebs & dirty windows. Not something you expect from a place like this ! (shame). The resturant was in keeping with the house but upto date , new &,clean food & service very good , just a shame they had ran out of lamb that was on the menu even though the resturant was nearly empty , however the chefs alternative of sirloin of beef was delicious as was all the food . Resturant lacked atmosphere could have done with some form of backgroud music ! But my biggest let down was not being able to stay the 2 night break I had booked , this occurred on arrival after receiving a phone call relating to my father being admitted to intensive care , back home 180 miles away , l explained this to the young lady & Gentleman on reception stating I would be leaving after breakfast the next morning to worried to stay another day!, therefore il was cancelling my following nights booking , they said no problem this was understandable and would be sorted the next day when Heidi arrived as the young lady on duty was new & couldn't sort it ? Heidi did sort it stating she was sorry ! THEN! She charged me 50% of the following night I had to cancel ,stating it should have been the full amount(100%) as I hadn't cancelled 48hrs before ! This happened the night I arrived out of the blue , that my father was rushed to hospital . So YES it was sorted but not with much compassion I expected from a business this popular& size a different maybe goodwill policy would apply relating to the Nature of the Circumstances . I do understand they are running a business but ? ? You only get ONE DAD!!

Room Tip: Rooms are large as are the beds & comfortable ,but the main house has old furniture in the ro...
2 Thank julie s
Howard E, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed our grounds, swimming pool and locally sourced beef. I can only apologise if certain elements of our styling were not quite to your taste. I would like to assure you that we carry out a continuous program of maintenance and refurbishment. Sorry once again to hear of your father, we always try to show compassion when circumstances such as yours are presented. We fully appreciate the difficult situation you found yourselves in, which is why we chose to refund you 50% of the following night instead of full payment as per our terms and conditions. Once again, many thanks for your comments.
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Had a lovely time at this hotel last night and today. Super hotel with great lounges and bedrooms. The dinner last night was delightful. Spent the morning walking the huge grounds, followed by a swim in the Spa and finished with a lovely relaxing massage. Then back to the hotel for light lunch before leaving for home.

The staff are extremely helpful and welcoming. Our bedroom at the back of the hotel was large and very clean with everything you would expect in this standard of hotel. The dining room is pleasant with the tables nicely spaced so that my wife and I were able to enjoy a lovely evening. Breakfast is taken in the Orangery and is cooked individually which is a big plus. The grounds are beautiful especially if you walk beyond the lake, down through the woods, towards the railway viaduct before returning to the hotel along the river bank. The Spa is spacious again with very friendly staff.

My wife and I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel look out over the lovely grounds.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just back from a 2 night stay here for my wife's birthday weekend. It's been perfect. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. A quiet, relaxing break with fantastic food and attentive staff in a fantastic location. The weather was brilliant too, which no doubt helped! A cool beer on the terrace whilst reading a book - just fantastic!

This is a very personal hotel - no stack them high here, and whilst we were there at least, largely booked to couples (of all ages).

Our room was comfortably the largest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The general decor of the hotel is a mix and match of old and new, with large comfy sofas in the drawing room/lounge area. There's no "bar " as such. You ask (or more likely get asked by the attentive but not pushy staff) and they bring your drinks to you, wherever you are.

The food was fantastic. The menu was the same for both nights we were there, but that was fine and we tried a different starter, main and dessert each night - all was fantastic. It's beautifully presented, and very delicious - but also quite pricey, and you won't find any wine less than about £24 a bottle. But we knew that before we went, and for a special treat away, this was a perfect place.

The breakfasts options were also good - continental options with pastries, or kippers, or smoked haddock or the full Welsh - which was lovely!

The grounds are spacious and worth wandering around. We had a go at putting, croquet and snooker. The spa is also very decent. My wife booked a Soul Retreat which she said was lovely. I stuck with the pool and sauna and hot tub.

For those who need modern day technology, there is complimentary wifi - it's not fast and occasionally patchy, but it does a job.

Although we planned a relaxing break, we got out a fair bit too. The day we arrived we went to the Elan Valley visitor centre and Gigrin Farm to see the red kites feeding - an awesome sight and highly recommended (open every day - feeding at 3pm in the summer). Both were at Rhayader about 30 minutes drive. The second day we drove to Devil's Bridge to see the falls (about an hour) and then came back right through the Elan valley - a spectacular if windy (lots of curves rather than lots of breeze) drive.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and the proof is in the question - would you got back? Without hesitation.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Eugenie". It was a good sized and comfortable room.
uk res
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We arrived at the local station,about a 20 min. walk away along the river Irfon.
This is a delightful hotel set in large grounds with a spa, good sized swimming
pool and hot tub.
Authentic country house-style and attentive staff. Bed room was of a good size
and the bed comfortable. Food in the rather dark dining room was excellent.
We'll worth a return visit.

South Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Spent two nights here on a Secret Escapes deal for 2 which included an 8 course taster menu dinner on night one. This country hotel has one of the most peaceful, beautiful and charming settings you could wish for. A perfect get away from it all and a great purpose built spa (had a great massage) on site also! Not especially a family hotel, I can see myself returning here with mine as they would love the indoor pool, sauna and outdoor hot-tub overlooking the lake. Wildlife is all around you and the extensive gardens have been thoughtfully planted over the years. The staff are quick to please and the rooms were comfortable and clean. The beds were especially comfy. I could almost give this place an excellent rating but it fell a little short on the wine menu (eg Californian listed under French!) and the room had been made up as a double when I booked a twin for my friend and I. Also, we had to call reception as we had no toilet paper! The breakfasts were very good and the evening meal on the second night at £45 for 3 courses was good but not great. In fact on both nights the amuse bouche was a bowl of soup - a first for me! However, overall we had a fabulous time and the weather was very kind to us allowing us to sit out on the pool terrace and enjoy a cooling drink and chat to other residents. Definately one of my top ten hotels!

Room Tip: Can't imagine a bad suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Metropole Hotel
#1 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa

Been to The Lake Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!