“One night of luxury and relaxation”

The Lake Country House & Spa
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were given a night in this hotel as a gift and we had a truly relaxing and lovely time here. The room was really luxurious, very clean and spacious with their own signature toiletries, four poster bed and lounge area with a beautiful view over the river and hills.

We spent the afternoon in the spa where you can book in for a treatment (the deep tissue massage was excellent, no light fingers here!), swim in the pool, have a sauna or relax in the hot tub in the balcony. My one suggestion would be for the spa to provide cold water showers and drinking water nearby for when guests come out of the sauna. The showers in the changing rooms are all set to a certain temperature and you have to go upstairs into the gym area for cold water.

You could stay here and not have to go very far if you didn't want to. There are walks in the grounds and walks farther afield which the hotel will provide you with information about. There is a croquet lawn, 8 hole golf course and billiards room, with an excellent and well kept snooker table I might add. (we enjoyed a couple of frames after dinner)

The food is very good and the service excellent, although the dining area is a little too quiet and dark for my liking. A bit of background music to make the guests feel like they don't have to whisper would be a nice idea and raise the lighting a bit, we like to see our food!. That said, at breakfast time it had lightened up a bit and was a bit more atmospheric. My advice would be to use the annex room attached to the grand dining room for breakfast as this looked lighter and more friendly.

All in all, this is a really lovely hotel and we had a fantastic stay. I would certainly recommend it to 50yr olds and upwards as the hotel has an old fashioned charm about it that I personally think is more suited to a slightly older generation.

Room Tip: We were in the newly re-furbished building, away from the main house. I can highly recommend room 9...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share this lovely review, we’re delighted to hear you had a truly relaxing time and enjoyed the spa and the food. Sorry you found our dining room a little quiet, we find that the majority of our guests tend to favour the lack of music. I do however understand that with just a few tables it may lack the atmosphere of the summer months. On a wet and windy day we prefer to use our dining room for breakfast as it is more cosy and comforting for the guests. Thank you for your feedback in these areas, we’re glad it didn’t impact the overall enjoyment. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed one night in the suite named 'Eugenie', I cannot fault the place! Our room was beautiful, great views, very thoughfully provided with everything you could wish for in the way of magazines, toiletries, ALL sorts of teas, coffee etc. Bed was wonderfully comfortable. Staff were exceptionally friendly, courteous, nothing seemed too much trouble. Log fires were awesome! Had a swim in the pool, very relaxing and warm, everything provided. Meals were superb. Might agree that it is not really for children but other than that, a heavenly break! Would love to come again - many thanks to all at Lake Country House!

1  Thank scafb
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed for one night in the suite named 'River', which is on the first floor, at the front of the main house with stunning views over the grounds. The suite was spacious, nicely decorated, had all the amenities we required, and a huge bed. The whole place oozes olde worlde charm and luxury. The staff are very friendly and attentive without being intrusive, and the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. There is a large spacious lounge downstairs with big, comfy couches and chairs, and a wood burner, where guests can have afternoon tea, drinks etc... There is also an open fire in the reception lounge and more comfy seating, and another lounge area with bar.
I can't praise the staff highly enough; they are extremely attentive, and very friendly. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. Our evening meal on Saturday was fabulous. Perfectly cooked and presented, and very tasty. Breakfast on the Sunday morning was again very good, and each table has a printed sheet of weather details for the day, suggestions of places to visit etc... I really can't think of anything needed to improve the overall experience, and we will definitely be back. But for two nights next time !!
My only word of caution would be that this place is not set up for children, so I would probably advise those with youngsters to stay somewhere else, but for couples it is absolutely perfect

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anyofu111
Reviewed January 13, 2014

we booked an overnight stay with dinner mid week in early January .we had a lovely suite{badger} which we can thoroughly recommend .the weather was cold and damp-but the hotel and lounges were warm and inviting with open log fires .the spa was excellent with a lovely pool and clean modern facilities .my wife had a facial the following morning and she was delighted with the treatment .The dinner was very good and like all the service it was served with a professional but friendly approach .even at that time of the year the grounds looked attractive and well tended .With better weather the walks look very appealing .

1  Thank weekender1211
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share this review of your stay. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here and your wife enjoyed her spa treatments. There are indeed plenty of great local walks and I hope you will get a chance to come back and enjoy them.

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel another fabulous stay .
Slightly expensive but you only get what you pay for . Staff helpful , food outstanding , great for waking.
Spa is lovely and relaxing, would defiantly recommend

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed for two nights at the Lake Country House Hotel. I had never stayed before and it is testament to how much I enjoyed my stay that, on returning home, I have booked another stay in a month's time.

The hotel and spa are lovely, and my morning swim was fantastic! The staff were very professional, but enormously kind and helpful. The food was superb.

I can't wait for my next stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We booked our third stay at this warm and friendly Hotel. The staff are outstanding and work hard to make sure all our requirements are met. The Spa treatments were blissful, and again the staff were attentive and friendly. We stayed in one of The Lodges this time and they are just as nice as the interior rooms, very clean, and great facilities including tea, coffee and homemade shortbread biscuits. The bathroom has Temple Spa proi so dont worry about taking shower gel or shampoo. The evening meal was good, starters were all cold assortments which I found disappointing, but the delicious soup entree made up for it. Breakfast was perfect, a few selections including a traditional Welsh breakfast, highly recommended. Finished our stay with a lovely walk around the grounds. Thank you all at The Lake House, we will be back soon.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bowens.Collins

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and choosing to return again. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the homemade shortbread and would highly recommend our breakfast. Sorry to hear the starters weren’t quite for you but I'm glad it didn't impact the enjoyment of your break. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangammarch Wells
#1 of 3 in Llandeilo
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell

Been to The Lake Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!