My partner recently surprised me with a trip to this hotel for my birthday. First impressions were very good, lovely peaceful grounds, lots of open space and two very friendly dogs on the lawn. We checked in through a very friendly receptionist and were shown to our suite 'The Heron', this was a spacious room with a gorgeous bay window overlooking a pretty walled garden, fluffy bathrobes hanging on the door, all in all very nice. We went for a wander through the grounds and enjoyed sitting by the lake surrounded by swans, ducks and the odd red kite overhead, all was tranquil we even chatted to the owner who was really friendly and seemed quite hands on.
We then went on to use the Spa facilities (I was very much looking forward to this as a rare treat). the building was very nice, changing rooms modern and clean and a great pool area which we had almost to ourselves. Only problem was they decided to install a new door on the actual poolside area whilst we were in there, this was very noisy and involved lots of banging, drilling and even a nail gun. Whilst I appreciate work like this has to be completed I was surprised that a hotel of this standard would carry out such work whilst guests were attempting to relax.This work went on for over two hours and much as the end result was a very nice door it really spoiled what should have been a relaxing few hours. We also very much wanted to soak in the outdoor hot tub which overlooks the beautiful lake but two hours in were told it was still being cleaned. Whilst the Spa staff did go out of their way to try and get it ready even at 5.30 (we had been there since 2pm) it was still only luke warm. We braved a soak anyway but again this spoiled what should have been a romantic and relaxing time out. Also slightly off putting is the gym right behind your head whilst you are in there. The peace was shattered once more by a gym radio and noisy treadmill and bike.
Upon our return to the house we sat outside and enjoyed a glass of wine however even though almost all of the staff were very friendly there was a slightly arrogant waiter who served us. I stress that the young lady on reception, the more mature gentlemen in the dining room and the owner were all very friendly however the same younger chap who had served our wine took over from the much nicer gent during our 4 course dinner and proceeded to be quite stand offish. He did not once ask how the food was, nor if we would like additional drinks and he totally neglected to bring us our desserts and just left us sat there in the dining room until the other member of staff came along and brought our food seeming quite shocked that we had just been left.
Food was very enjoyable, dining room pretty if some what formal (which you would expect from this type of hotel) but the person who served us would do well to remember there is a difference between formal and unfriendly. Breakfast, we decided to have served in our room to take advantage of the stunning views, and whilst the food was tasty enough it was not anything special, my partners eggs were cold, no condiments were brought up with the tray, just little touches but worth a mention.
So all in all very enjoyable stay, lovely grounds, gorgeous room but just those little touches missing. I would visit this hotel again as it could be perfect I'm sure, in our case though just 'almost'.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lake Country House Hotel is a 4 star hotel set in the Heart of Mid Wales and is the perfect destination for a luxury hotel break or romantic getaway. The Spa offers a range of Heath and Beauty treatments and is equipped with and indoor pool, sauna and Jacuzzi overlooking the lake. Game Fishing and golf are available on site and there is a good range of other golf courses in the area. Horse riding, the Elan Valley and of course the Brecon Beacons are all near by.An air of elegance and calm informality pervades this exquisitely furnished Welsh country house hotel. Standing serenely in its own fifty acres of parkland, with sweeping lawns, rhododendron lined pathways and riverside walks, this magnificent mid wales hotel is comfort epitomised.The country house itself is an architectural bagatelle, begun in 1840 and remodeled in 1900. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Hotwire so you can book your The Lake Country House & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lake Country House And Spa
- The Lake Country House Hotel Llangammarch Wells
- The Lake Country Hotel
- Lake Country Hotel
- The Lake Country House & Spa Llangammarch Wells, Wales