“Superb”

The Lake Country House & Spa
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have just returned from our third visit and once again enjoyed the food, ambiance, friendly staff and beautiful surroundings. The location is stunning. Each room we have stayed in is decorated individually and beautifully. We love it so much we have planned to get married there next year !!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank stepht47

Reviewed August 28, 2013

What can I say about this place. It was just what my husband and I were looking for as a short break for just the 2 of us. We got a fantastic deal for bed, breakfast and 4 course evening and were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and nothing seem too much trouble for them. The food was amazing. Most of the peace and tranquility of the place was breathtaking. I would love to go back for a 2nd visit. Forgot to mention the glorious spa facilities which we pretty much had all to ourselves.

Room Tip: Go for a suite. We had number 5
2  Thank Ali_J_lucas
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent a fabulous two days in the lovely hotel in one of the most beautiful area of rural Wales.From the minute we arrived and were welcomed by the staff and resident dogs to when we left the staff were helpful and very friendly. Our suite was small but very comfortable, food superb. Felt very homely in the spacious lounges especially in the reception lounge with the log fire burning to cheer a rather grey August evening.
We enjoyed walking in the grounds and the use of the spa and pool
It was good to see the owner in evidence and talking to guests. special mention also for Laura.
We were there on a secret escapes deal which was excellent value.
I arrived feeling rather stressed, as promised I left feeling refreshed and very relaxed.
We will go again

2  Thank Diadan4370
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, we’re glad to hear your break left you feeling refreshed and relaxed. We’ll look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

It doesn't matter ....

It doesn't matter if you have a young family with children, with or without a dog, or perhaps a caring husband treating his lovely wife or even a cheating husband looking a weekend hideaway with his lover vice versa (just kidding!) .....

JUST GO!
JUST ..... GO!

I can't praise the hotel enough how relaxing it was to stay at the Lake Country House and Spa. We stayed in Lodge 4 which was a stone throw away from the main building. The room is big, comfortable with nice view into the lake. Contrary to one reviewer, the room seemed to have been redecorated recently (no more than 1 year ago). It has a old fashioned CRT Tv which is a rare find nowadays which rightly remained switched off the whole time. Why would you turn it on when you have such a pretty scenes through the windows?

Wife pre-booked a spa treatment but she confessed the massage wasn't the best she has had, nevertheless the staffs tried her best and was very engaging so she scored points elsewhere.

the new spa building also housed a decent sized swimming pool, sauna, small gym with enough "apparatus" and a hot tub on the balcony upstairs looking into the lake (my favourite). We literally had the whole building to ourselves the whole time, my 6 yo daughter had a blast horning in on her swimming skills at the expense of 2 other guests at one time. Had to cut short her swimming just so tht these 2 poor souls could deservedly enjoy their time..... on the short walk back to the lodge, my daughter did not stop her complaining and show her discontent which I tried to turn a deaf ear to. In hind sight, it's less painful to let her stays in the pool and risk the possibility of death threats from other swimmers.

There is also a Par 3 golf course, many holes looks longer than stated as you are hitting up the slopes. Would bring my own clubs for a quick knock around before missus wakes up next time.

Most guests dine at the formal dining hall. You are not allowed to dine there if you are below 10 years old unless you are a well behaved 6 yo child like my daughter..... Having said that, a table was set up in the separate 'oak room' well away from the dining hall the following night !!!! I swear we didnt make that much noise, or may be it was my shoes. (I brought only my walking shoes and my croc clogs). Btw, the pork belly starter was .... mmm.... yummy! and black welsh beef steak was one of the best I have and I have had many in my short life. The freshly made souffle ...ah.. I can only describe it was an out of body experience. It was so good, I ordered the same meal twice.

Bumped into a humble looking gentleman in a woolly jumper one early morning and he turned out to be the owner. Very hands-on kinda chap I can see. I think he's called Pierre, well...I hope you have a great time with your grand daughter (living in USA) who was coming to visit the following day.

My best part of the stay is laying on the grass by the calm lake staring at the clouds, with the sound of water flowing from river irfon behind me and hearing the laughters of my daughter playing with my wife in the distant. Priceless ......

it doesn't matter

like I say,

Just GO!

J

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JustinT
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in a luxury lodge suite for 3 nights recently and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was open plan, very large with a bathroom with shower and bath. The hotel had wonderful grounds for walking our dog and we were shown around by the hotel owner's dog, Cassie.
The main hotel building was more traditional in style with friendly and accommodating staff, and wonderfully engaging owners. The restaurant was formal in style and we were delighted with all the meals that we were served.
Dogs were allowed in bedrooms, grounds, lobby area and the bar where we could eat both breakfast and evening meal, if we requested.
On site there is also a gym, pool, sauna and hot tub which we used both days. Also there are treatment rooms, if you feel the need for a massage.
Overall we really enjoyed our visit and if it weren't 7 hours drive away we would visit more often.
Thank you to Molly and Cassie for making Connie (our dog) feel welcomed.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with your dog ask for a modernised ground floor lodge room/suite for access to...
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We loved it, the rooms great and very comfortable beds, the spa was good and treatments brilliant at reasonable prices. The atmosphere in the main house was very chilled. The food was good, albeit a small menu, we enjoyed what we had, and the wine list is very extensive. We asked for our Rose champagne & wine to be extra chilled & that's exactly what it was! The team were friendly, polite and wanted to help. All in all a fabulous experience, we'll be back! Thanks to Luke and the team for all the hard work they did to make our experience a great one.

Room Tip: We had a suite, spacious, very light and airy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent visit. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here and that you appreciated the hard work our team put in to make your stay special. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about my stay- some things were lovely- others very below standard. The hotel itself is quite old fashioned and there is an unplesent smell in the lounge area. The grounds are lovely and well kept. The spa is nice but it was very fully booked and we only managed to squeeze in one treatment. The staff in general were not friendly or overly helpful. We had a suite in the lodge which was spacious with a huge bed, it looked lovely but on closer inspection could really do with being updated and painted. The shower pressure was awful and tea and coffee very basic and we had to ask for milk everday. There was also a note saying our room would be turned down during dinner- this happened one out of four nights.

The food was very poor and over priced, the soup with dinner was nice however I am unable to compliment anything else. The breakfast selection wasnt great- we had much better choice at a premier inn. They also ran out of something everyday- branflakes, fish, fruit salad and made no aplogy for this. They also constantly mixed up tea, coffee and toast orders between tables and forgot eggs with my husbands full welsh breakfast. We were very dissapointed with the food.

2  Thank Tamara W
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for your review, we’re glad to hear there were areas such as the grounds and the spa which were enjoyed. We are sorry to hear that there were other areas which were not to your satisfaction. We encourage feedback and would have been happy to discuss any of these issues during your stay in order to rectify them.

Just to clear up a couple of points; during busy times the spa can get very full, we wouldn’t want anyone to miss out which is why we always advise guests to book in advance. We will speak to our housekeeping staff regarding the tea and coffee making facilities to ensure this does not happen in the future. Finally, we are constantly renovating and redecorating our rooms to maintain our high standards. Let us take this opportunity to thank you for your useful feedback and to assure you of our very best intentions at all times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangammarch Wells
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach
The Manor Hotel
The Manor Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell

Been to The Lake Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!