“Christmas dinner at The Corran” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Corran Resort & Spa

The Corran Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 18 Laugharne B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Christmas dinner at The Corran”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

My daughter and I had Christmas dinner at The Corran today and have to say it was fantastic. the food was stunning,the service was brilliant , the staff were so friendly and efficient and the atmosphere was perfect. There were seven courses and there were the ideal size portions with just the right amount of time between courses. A lovely touch was they had singer rather than taped music and he was fantastic.We thought at first it was recorded music that was playing as his voice was so good.Can't recommend The a organ enough and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nick E, General Manager at The Corran Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Sian

Thank you so much for spending Christmas dinner with us here at The Corran and many thanks for being the first person to review what was our very first Christmas Lunch. I know everyone really enjoyed the day.

Hope to see you all again soon,

Nick Evans General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
St Clears, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife and I had Sunday Lunch at The Corran yesterday and had a wonderful welcome,service and meal.The food was nothing short of excellent and I applaud the chefs. The cheesecake especially, it was almost too nice to eat!! So,thankyou to everyone at The Corran, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for dining with us last Sunday, it is always nice to see new faces at The Corran.
Also it was very kind of you to take the time to write such a lovely review on Trip Advisor.

Hope to see you back again soon,

Llandeilo, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Booked a romantic night away for last Saturday night- 14th December, as a Xmas treat with spa reservations for my wife and I. Room was good and had good facilities, and were pleased with it. However, the experience in the restaurant was one of the worst we have encountered.

We were presented with menu's and when we came to order, were told that some of the dishes were not available- why not tell us that when we were given the menu's. Ordered wine, and were provided with cheap wine glasses which the waiter filled up to the top. Now I'm no wine expert, but I know that a red wine glass should be filled not even half way to allow the wine to breathe properly. He then put the cork back in the bottle!

We waited quite a long time, and were then showed to our table. The waiter did not offer to take our drinks through, so we ended up carrying glasses, bottle and a bowl of olives through the packed restaurant- not very professional that!

Starters were good - scallops, but two mouthfuls and they were gone - not good value for £8. Neither of us have ever sent food back before, but my lobster thermordore was cold and my wife's lamb only luke warm. When they eventually came back, the cheese in the lobster sauce had "globulised" ( not sure if there is such a word!) but I was so hungry I could not be bothered to send it back. In the meantime another young waiter had sneakily filled my red wine glass to the top.. again..GRRR.

Both main courses were expensive compared to other quality restaurants we had been to, so we were not impressed. If your going to charge top dollar then you have to deliver a really good service, and the Corran just does not have that.

Onto breakfast, and again my food ( eggs benedict) was served cold so had to be taken back, so I just said to the waitress to ask the chef for a plain poached egg on toast, which took another 20 minutes to prepare( how???) and yippee it was hot but the eggs were solid throughout. Once again I could not be bothered to send food back so ate half of it.
When the waitress asked me if everything was ok, I said that the eggs were hard when they should have been runny in the middle and she said " Yes I know" ???. Its laughable isn't it.

We then made our way to the spa for our treatments, which we had booked nearly 3 weeks in advance- there was no-one available as a result of illness, but no-one had had the foresight to let us know. Both of us were really disappointed.

I went to check out, and asked to speak to the manager about what we both felt was not a brilliant experience. We were not happy to pay the full restaurant billl for a start. However, the manager Nick Evans was not in, so I asked to speak to whoever was in charge but was told by the receptionist that no-one was in charge. How come a large venture such as this does not have someone of authority to handle situations on probably their busiest check out day of the week? It beggars belief.

However, I was told that he would contact me on the Monday, which went to Tuesday, so I phoned and was told that he would phone today, but no contact as of yet. Isn't the customers satisfaction paramount in this industry- obviously not in the Corran.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris H
Dear Chris

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your concerns. I have taken note of your comments and would like to apologise for your less than satisfactory dining experience.

We were fully booked that evening and yours was the last table to dine. Our Specials menu had proved to be particularly popular that evening and many dishes had run out by the time you dined, however all choices on our main menu were available.

The reception staff have confirmed that you cancelled your own Spa bookings and with no staff off due to illness that day I am unsure as to why this has been referenced in your review.

I understand that you requested to speak to me on the morning of your check-out and were informed that I was off that day and the next. The reception staff offered you the opportunity to speak with one of the Duty Managers but this was refused.

It is my policy to contact any unhappy customers personally but with the complexity of your concerns, I needed a day or two after returning to work to speak with the various department heads in order to formulate a robust response that would have resolved all issues. I was in the process of drafting this response when I saw your Trip Advisor review.

I’m really disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your stay and would like to apologise for the unsatisfactory experience you had. While I hope that some of the issues have been addressed in this response, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further over the phone.

Best Wishes

Nick Evans, General Manager
Bham UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We took advantage of the 'minimoon' package although we don't actually get married until next year. My 40th was a great excuse to give the Corran a trial run. It's worth noting that the package we booked at about £275 or £295 ( for 2 nights B&B, dinner one one night, couples massage, a rose, champers & chocs ) has now almost doubled in price although it does now include dinner on both nights.

OK, negatives first - we found the booking process a complete nightmare and almost cancelled the week before out of sheer frustration. In all, it took 6 emails and about 5 or 6 phone calls for us to get our booking confirmed with the right components. Reception staff were pleasant but seemed very disorganised. We had a phone call asking for our deposit when we had already paid this, 2 deposits were then taken in error...the list goes on. We did feed this back and apparently it is something that should not be happening again.

The room - we booked a specific room and had this confirmed and this is the room we were shown to on arrival - it was stunning ( one of the purpley ones ) with a HUGE bed ( minimum superking size ) and an enormous bathroom with separate walk in rainfall shower and bath. We were disappointed that there was no rose, champers or chocs on arrival although the receptionist came running over with these an hour later. We had been told to phone reception with any queries or problems...this would have been great except there was no phone in the room! We searched in vain and were told afterwards that they were 'putting a new line in' ( no apology though! ).

So we were slightly put out but determined to enjoy ourselves and get ready for dinner after having a swim. Hmmmm. The amazing rainfall shower was barely tepid and the tray quickly overflowed as it didn't seem to be draining. As we had no phone my partner had to get dressed and go over to reception. I have to say that although the receptionist came over within a few minutes there was not one word of apology from her. She said that she could 'upgrade us' and could we be ready to move rooms when she came back in a few minutes?

The new room was not an upgrade by any stretch of the imagination; I think the receptionist thought we were stupid but we had just given up by that point to be honest and wanted a hot shower and our dinnner! It was again a beautiful room and I'm not suggesting it was substandard in any way. However, the bathroom was half the size and just had a shower over the bath, the room itself was smaller and the bed was much smaller. The bedside lamps were useless as you had to get out of bed and walk over to the plug to switch them on or off. The mini fridge was right by the bed and was both bright and noisy when the lights wwere off so we had to switch it off overnight as throwing a blanket over it didn't work... For this type of establishment you really do expect much better attention to detail than this.

The bill - we had an inkling we would need to check our bill closely on checkout due to the lack of attention to detail in other areas. We were right! We had been charged for our cocktails before dinner which were supposed to be included (I had specifically mentioned this to the barman who had just advised that 'reception will sort it out for you'). We had also been charged for 2 'extra' sauces with our dinner when in fact we had asked the waiter if we could substitute another sauce from the menu and were told this was fine. I was really unhappy about the fact that I had been charged £1.50 for every small dash of lemonade I had been having in my white wine. It would have been really nice had bar or waiting staff mentioned this and I could have just bought a pint for £1.50 and topped it up myself ( especially as I had the same drinks for the 2 days we were there ). So not a very nice end to our break having to go through the itemised bill and explain things ( in fairness the receptionist corrected most things although I ended up spending A LOT on lemonade as this charge stood ).

The good

OK I've moaned an awful lot, let's give a balanced perspective.

Bar and dining room are lovely - the dining room especially is a beautiful space and we liked the fact there was background music on just high enough to give some atmosphere without being too loud (a really eclectic mix of music too which was quite entertaining!). The chairs in the bar could do with being a bit bigger and comfier they are like mini bucket seats you have to wedge yourself into but the open fire is lovely.

The food is simply stunning - the cooked breakfast menu is really varied and everything we tried was cooked to a high standard. Lovely little mini pastries with the continental selection, cold meats & cheese as well as fruit,yoghurts,cereals etc. We were so full we didn't need lunch despite doing a 9 mile walk! We loved our dinner so much on the first night we decided not to go anywhere else for the 2nd night ( as we had originally planned ). The sirloin steak was a beautiful piece of meat and cooked perfectly and everything else was great including a generous cheeseboard. Prices here are high but I have to say I think it's worth every penny and felt like a real treat - service was excellent too - attentive withouth being overbearing.

The spa - staff here are simply lovely - we felt very relaxed and enjoyed our first ever couples massage. My partner has regular sports massages due to a back injury and is very fussy but he was so impressed he booked another massage for the next day. I also had a mini facial with was supposed to be 30 mins but was more like 45 mins. Lovely fluffy towels and robes supplied if needed although we had our own from the room. The swimming pool is small but nicely done with a separate jacuzzi and we were lucky enough to have it to ourselves although any more than 6-8 people would feel cramped I would guess. One of the walls in the swimming pool is quite badly marked with mould all the way down which is a shame as it does spoil the effect and again I would expect this to be something that you wouldn't see in an expensive hotel.

I was silly enough to leave my ( very expensive ) bracelet behind when I had my mini facial. When I realised and called from home the spa manager confirmed they had it and it was sent by special delivery which was very nice of them as this would have cost about £10.

There are a lot of positives about this place and if you get a good deal and want an isolated, romantic getaway then it's great. We won't be returning but other people should make their own judgement as some of the things we experienced may have been ironed out by now.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lpbirminghamUK
Nick E, General Manager at The Corran Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Sir

I was sorry to see your review on Trip Advisor. I always hope that any issues can be dealt with in-situ and not left until after the event. I can see from your comments that you were unhappy and I would like, if I can, to address these points.

I agree with you that something went wrong with your booking process and I will be looking into how our system operates within the department to address any areas that can be improved upon.

It has been our policy to deliver the mini moon rose and champagne to the room shortly after check in to ensure the champagne is appropriately chilled. However, your points have highlighted an issue which I am hoping to address by installing mini bar fridges in all the rooms to avoid delays.

There was indeed a fault on the phone line and engineers had been booked to replace the line which had been unsympathetically chewed by one of the local sheep(!)

I do not know why there was a hot water issue in your room and although I have had our maintenance team investigate they cannot find any faults. They are, however, monitoring the situation to see if there is any explanation.

I am pleased that as a result your concerns, my staff offered you an alternative room in the Stables. While I appreciate that it’s down to personal taste, the Stable rooms are our most requested accommodation options.

I did note your comments about the mini bar fridge in the room and
I’m very sorry that there was an error on your bill but pleased that this issue was resolved immediately.

Thank you for making your comments balanced and ending your review with some kind words. It is the constructive criticism that we may occasionally receive that allows us to make adjustments. I am very grateful that you have taken the time to let us know about your experiences at The Corran.

I do hope that you will return again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at The Corran Resort and Spa in September this year. First of all we have to thank all the staff who worked really hard to make sure our day was one to remember and a special thank you to Jo the wedding co-ordinator - you were amazing, everything from calming my nerves, to taking photo's of the wedding party, to helping my husband arrange a special message for me from a certain some-one! As we only had 13 in the wedding party we didn't have the set menu but chose off the normal one - the food was stunning and the buffet in the evening was delicious... not to mention the fab cocktails. The whole day ran smoothly and was totally relaxed and informal - just the way that we wanted it. We could not have asked for better. The accommodation was absolutely amazing I, my sister and niece stayed in the penthouse the night before the wedding - it was so peaceful and relaxing. Then for the wedding night I joined my husband over in the "Stables" - again absolutely perfect although the bed was so big I had trouble finding him at one point!!!!

We can't thank you enough for making our wedding so special - our friends and family were treated like royalty and we can't wait to visit you again.

Room Tip: The stable has to have the best rooms in the complex with their own private patio areas
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn W
Nick E, General Manager at The Corran Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Dawn

Thank you for your lovely review of The Corran ! It was a pleasure to have hosted your Wedding for you and glad you enjoyed everything. We all hope to see you again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

As long time visitors of the Old and new corran, we are so happy that the corran is in the right hands of professional owners and staff. we visited the corran for afternoon tea on the Saturday, arrived to early so we had lunch instead, service, food and the quality of the place was very good . the restaurant is superb and has lots of character ,this is a special place for both myself and my beautiful wife. I proposed to her just over 2 years ago, we were so sad to have witnessed it in the wrong hands, now its being run by professional owners and staff , brings back very many happy times over the years which we spent at the old and new corran . it is so peaceful and comforting . many more visits to come , nights away , weekends and even worth driving for that special evening meal and relaxing times.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. It's nice to welcome back previous guests and to receive positive reviews about our plans for the future.

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Having spent the first night of our anniversary in Cardiff at the Rugby then staying at the Hilton, my was excited to find out which Spa I had booked for the final relaxing night. Having stayed in all the main spa hotels in South & West Wales my wife enjoyed guessing and comparing the possible locations.

As we left the Hilton later than expected, I informed her we were going to The Corran, where we had last stayed 4 years prior when it was under a different name. The only negative for her was the distance to drive, but due to the beautiful weather (Even in November) and the fantastic scenery it was a pleasure.

We had to call through to the Spa to let them know we would be late for our treatments, the staff were very understanding and asked not to worry or rush. On arrival we received a warm welcome from the staff and were shown to our room where the flowers I had pre ordered were waiting much to my wifes approval.

We made our way to the Spa where they had shuffled things round to provide us with our couples massage which was excellent. Due to the service we booked a further 2 treatments for the following morning.

After a very relaxed few hours in the Spa we indulged in The Corran High Tea which had the perfect balance of sweet and savoury. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff very attentive and helpful.

Our evening meal was perfect and the lighting and ambiance of the bar provided the perfect setting to relax (which we find hard away from the kids) and before we knew it we had been reminiscing till after 12.00.

On returning to our Orchid room my wife declared that the bed was the comfiest she had ever lay in.

After a great nights sleep, we enjoyed our breakfast my wife especially loving the Eggs benedict. Another hour of treatments and we left with a feeling of complete satisfaction.

The staff, including the manager made the effort to say their goodbyes and we will definitely be booking again for the new year and on a regular basis.

Room Tip: Having previously stayed in 3 of the other type rooms we chose an Orchid room. Although the weather...
Dear James

It was a pleasure to see your review and such kind comments for all our staff and various departments. I am glad that you really enjoyed your stay and I hope that we might see you back here soon.

Nick Evans GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laugharne
St Brides Spa Hotel
Mansion House Llansteffan
Mansion House Llansteffan
#1 of 1 in Llansteffan
BEST WESTERN Lamphey Court Hotel

Been to The Corran Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!