“Lovely Retreat in Beautiful South West Wales”

The Corran Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 15 Laugharne B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you're looking for an attractive property to relax and unwind in, the Corran Hotel and Spa makes an excellent choice.

A modern vintage hotel - all staff are relatively young, which gives the place a trendy, unpretentious and thoroughly chilled out vibe. Levels of professionalism, however, are high, with all staff attentive and helpful.

The property has a subtly quirky feel, probably owing to Laugharne's artistic heritage. (Think Dylan Thomas quotes on the wall, Nick Drake on the sound-system, countless original antiques throughout the interiors, etc.)

The rooms are exceedingly spacious and attractively decorated. The bar is an enjoyable venue in which to enjoy a few pre-dinner drinks, and the hotel restaurant serves food of a very high standard. (The rack of Welsh lamb was truly one of the best meals I've had in years!)

Downsides: The overhead fan in our room wasn't working, which meant a few warm nights. (I'm sure had we flagged this, however, it would have been swiftly dealt with.) Mineral water in the gym might have added that nice five star touch, and there seemed to be quite a few bugs flying about. This was potentially due to the nearby marshland, and as well of course, the time of year.

With a little more attention to detail, the Corran Hotel and Spa could easily go from very good to exceptional. My partner and I had a fantastic time, and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Meredith A

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a fantastic time at the resort in Laugharne! perfectly located between the sandy beach of Pendine and Laugharne village. Idylic, peaceful. The hotel was superb with lots of character, we had a Barn style room with its own courtyard which was perfect.
Excellent hotel facilities, super breakfast and evening meal! lovely friendly staff!
scored some brownie points with the wife! we will be returning!
Many thanks, Jonathan and Kim Hopkins (Cwmbran)

Room Tip: Cant imagine any room not being nice and having its own individual character!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan H
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I booked a night's stay at the Corran along with a meal at their restaurant to celebrate my wedding anniversary. My wife had also planned on using their spa facilities during the stay.
Being the parents of a young child, we were looking forward to the stay, because we very rarely get to eat out alone! (It would be the first time this year)

A week before we were due to visit, the Corran called me to say that they were closing their restaurant on the night we were due to stay there, because of a summer event being held outside.

I was assured that the manager would call me the following day to discuss the situation.

Five days later, I had no response.

I called them again. I was again told that the manager would be in touch.

Over a week has passed, as has my anniversary weekend. Still no word from The Corran.
Following a mad scramble and hours of internet searching, I managed to find an affordable alternative to The Corran, which isn't easy at a week's notice.

From the pictures it still looks like a nice place to stay. But they have left a poor impression of their attitude towards potential customers.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Microduck
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Corran is set in a fantastic area on the south coast of Wales. Having enjoyed a in one of the fantastic rooms just a couple of months before, I decide to take my father and mother in law for a meal. The maitre'd was exceptionally well mannered and patient with a dry, subtle sense of humour which most people would appreciate. Other serving staff appear to be finding their feet but appear to be well managed.
Food was fantastic. The menu obviously changes regularly according to what fresh ingredients are available while the staffs' knowledge of wines seems to be more than adequate. Waiting times were a bit on the lengthy side given that we had booked in advance but the surroundings and atmosphere are very pleasant so we didn't mind.
Overall another fantastic visit to this corner of south Wales. I will be returning!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The location is quiet and remote with lovely walks nearby. Our room ( suite 12) certainly had the wow factor when we walked in. The decor is eclectic but really well done.
We loved our stay and would love to go again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We've just returned from a 2 night/3 day break at The Corran. We loved the location - out on the marshes away from other buildings and busy roads and very peaceful, bur some people might find it a little bit remote as Laugharne itself is a 1 hour walk away, so a car or taxi would be needed if you wanted to spend a night our in the village. The hotel is first class, beautifully designed and styled, and just that little bit different from the norm. All the staff we met were warm, friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely eager to please.

Our room (11 in The Byre - it's on the website with the large purple headboard) was excellent - roomy and beautifully styled. As other reviewers have noted the design of the hotel itself and the guest rooms is quite quirky and individualistic; perhaps not to everyone's taste but we loved it - the old retro Roberts radio in our room was a lovely and unexpected touch. A fantastic super king bed and 2 comfy chairs to sit in by the coffee table in the main room facing a huge flat screen TV - a great relaxing space. The bathroom was stylish with its pebbled walls and floors,a large shower, bath and double size handbasin, although as someone else noted it would be good to have somewhere to store lotions, flannels etc. in the shower itself.

We didn't indulge in spa treatments so can;t comment, but spent a lazy hour in the smallish pool and jacuzzi. This was fine but would have been even nicer if the pool was a little larger to allow some serious swimming and there was more space to relax around the pool itself.

Dinner on Saturday was excellent. We were greeted by the friendly bar staff and drinks were brought over to our table along with a dish of olives. Our food and wine order were taken and we were called to our table to eat. The dining room is large but looked cosy and inviting with numerous candles lit in the cabinet at the end of the room. The tables are generously placed so you never feel crowded. Once again the staff were great - friendly but unobtrusive and willing to share information and advice when asked. The food was first class the flavours in our starters (pea & asparagus risotto & tomato consomme with twice cooked egg) were rich and intense and the steaks to follow were delicious and cooked as we asked. My wife was too full for dessert but I managed a lemon curd cheesecake, which was again really lovely - creamy and yummy. After our meal we retired back to the bar where I enjoyed a fine malt. The staff were again lovely but perhaps a little inexperienced, as when I asked for a list of available malts I was directed to the back of the bar, where I struggled to find a single malt (no pun intended), until another customer pointed me towards a cabinet where the real stuff was kept. My wife wanted a brandy sour, but no-one behind the bar knew how to make one. No problem, but perhaps a little more training required.

Perhaps aided by the food and drink I then slept like a log - the bed was really comfortable and spacious. We have an excellent bed at home but this one excelled it - top marks!

The following day breakfast was first class (we both had the Corran full breakfast) with beautifully cooked poached eggs and lovely fruits to start (blueberries and strawberries) with locally sourced fruit yoghurt. This was filling enough to last us until our evening meal. The usual cereals were there along with pastries and cold meats, so plenty of choice.

In the afternoon we walked into Laugharne, which included part of the Wales Coast Path. The weather was lovely so it was a delightful stroll through woodland with views over the estuary (although the first part is along quiet country lanes).

As we'd enjoyed such a lovely meal last night we ate in the restaurant in the evening. The meal was once again delicious and the staff excellent but we were a little disappointed to find that tonight the candles had not been lit and no olives were served with our drinks. Not a major problem but having had these nice touches the previous evening they were noticeable by their absence . I think the key here is to ensure a consistent high standard and not allow it to fall short.from one day to the next. The only other minor niggle during our stay was that the tea bags were not replaced when the room was cleaned. No problem to us as we always take some of our favourites with us and we could have asked reception for more, but once again at a resort aspiring for the highest standards little faults like this shouldn't happen.

Breakfast the next day was very good (lovely smoked haddock and perfect poached egg, and smoked salmon and poached egg) although the salmon and egg came with the very nice standard bread instead of the advertised walnut soda bread. The staff were once more friendly and helpful and we checked out feeling very satisfied with our short break at The Corran. We would certainly come back, perhaps for a special occasion or when an offer was in place, as the prices reflect the premier league status of this resort.

A few suggestions to raise the bar a little further: some extra training fro the staff:; use a wider selection of background music - we heard the same music over our 2 days, so if this is the norm the staff must be heartily sick of it by now; and provide more information about activities and things to do in the area in the in-room brochure - the information was a little bland and did not market the resort and the local area as well as it could.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DelB53
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at The Corran over the August Bank Holiday weekend and it was fairly busy, but at no point did we feel ignored.
From the moment we stepped through the doors we loved the place. The decor is beautifully done and our room (Suite 14) was amazing to walk into. The only thing we would pick fault with is the mattress. You could tell it had lost its shape by the sunken body dips on either side of the very large king size bed. Other than that we could quietly happily live in that room!

The staff were brilliant, very attentive and kept us entertained. Harriet, James & Steve (Bar/Waiting staff) were fantastic and very welcoming. Jodie and Emily on reception couldn't do anymore for us and thank you again for sorting out our difficult spa treatments .

The food is incredible, so rich in flavours, just make sure you get yourselves ready for the beautiful works of art.

The girls in the Spa were so accommodating and absolutely brilliant at their job. Myself and my husband had 4 treatments each and at a very last minute request they were able to do our treatments in 1 room so we were together. All our treatments were very relaxing and we can't wait to come back to The Corran. Thank you Andrea and the girls for looking after us - I've never laughed so much over my husband and a face mask!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank LilOggy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laugharne
Grove of Narberth
Broadmead Boutique B&B
Heywood Spa Hotel
Heywood Spa Hotel
#4 of 23 in Tenby

Been to The Corran Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!