“An Italian gem”
Review of Cafe Culture - CLOSED

Cafe Culture
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: All homemade cooked to order food, great experience of real taste Italian food & house wine. Make sure you have time to wait for your food while is being cooked with lots of love. As we respect your food we don't rush it.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“An Italian gem”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A very warm welcome from friendly accommodating staff, a bottle of house rose went down very well with the marinated olives and bread starter with oil dip, my husband had the salmon fish cake to start which I tried and was the best I'd ever tasted so light and fluffy.
We both had the chicken and mushroom risotto which was delicious.

Cambridge
“They couldn't do enough for us!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is not going to be a short review so make a cuppa, sit down and read on!
We walked past this place more than once during our holiday as we had been looking for something other than Italian as that's what my 10-yr-old daughter always wants to eat and I needed a break. However, we gave in on the last evening of our holiday as I quite fancied the sound of the seafood risotto.
We arrived a little before the place was open and ready but as the waitress had smiled at me more than once over the course of the week as we'd looked and looked at the menu board, we were rewarded with a "come in if you don't mind us setting up around you". My daughter all but offered to help!
We set up camp in one corner: it had been a lovely day in Laugharne and I was ready NOT to cook (we had been self catering). Our waitress was absolutely lovely and really couldn't do enough BUT without being obtrusive which was great. We ordered my seafood risotto (risotto alla marina con verdure), my other half had penne alla salmon, and my daughter had a pint sized portion of spaghetti carbonara. We had the olives and bread platter while we waited which were SO delicious that I kept dipping in while eating my main course.
The main course had taken a little while to arrive but when food is freshly prepared to order I would expect nothing less!
I really hope that people show this place the support that it deserves, and if they do, when we go back to Laugharne we will definitely do the same and re-visit.

• Visited April 2013
Swansea, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could do with a visit from Alex Polizzi or Mary Queen of Shops!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

After a busy couple of weeks, took the day off and drove with my wife to Laugharne. Weather wasn't brilliant but that's the UK for you and you hope that other things will compensate. How wrong could I be!

Cafe Culture is very well placed for the many tourists who visit Laugharne, especially in relation to Dylan Thomas, being opposite the main car park.

We called in and immediately read the sign advising us that as everything was 'freshly made' you should be prepared to wait. At first sight,this was a positive message as it whetted our appetites for some local, homemade produce.

Unfortunately, nothing could have been further from the truth. After a long wait, I was presented with a cooked breakfast comprising 1 sausage, 1 piece of bacon, 1 hash brown, 1 egg, 1 piece of toast and a tiny portion of beans. The food was clearly bought in from a local cash and carry or wholesaler and was of a very average quality. Far from the envisaged local produce! The plate was cold, as was the food and to make matters worse, we were given frozen butter portions that were very difficult to spread. My wife ordered toast and marmalade and was presented with 2 slices of 'value' bread and when she asked for marmalade, none was available.

The staff were very pleasant and the coffee was fine.

However, we left feeling very disappointed and to some extent 'conned' as we thought we were walking into a local cafe with fresh and homemade produce.

Our overwhelming impression was that this was a missed opportunity for the business and also a poor advert for Laugharne..

1 Thank robtheref
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Friendly and welcoming!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Just called in on the off chance prior to ' Derek the Weather's' Laugharne walk. Enjoyed a very good coffee and a very nice welcome. Will definitely call again to try the evening meal. Beautiful setting overlooking the estuary - would recommend. Julia and Amanda.

Cardiff
“Very average cafe, with bought in products”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The cafe's name suggests that it may have a bit of finesse. The previous owners/restaurant in this location was the Green Room. This place had the finest tasting home cooked food, with local ingredients around. Sadly they closed.

I was hoping that Cafe Culture may take over where the Green Room left. It is in a great location so should certainly attract tourist in the summer.

The staff were friendly. However, everything that they serve is either very basic, or simply bought in. I had a carrot cake, which was fine, but had that generic shop bought taste. Similarly with the chocolate fudge cake my wife bought. There are so many places serving home made products, with locally sourced ingredients, that this simple does not compare. Once you've had some great home cakes, these pre-made ones really don't compare. I also thought the coffee was very average.

I realise times are hard for businesses, but it really does seem that some places are trying to survive by using the lowest quality of foods and putting in the minimum effort. Maybe they will get a quick turnaround and survive - it seems they are just doing it for the money and not with the aim of serving great food and drink.

I felt a bit cheated out of my money there and won't be visiting again, as I expect a higher standard. If you don't care too much about quality of food, or whether it is home made, then this place is an average cafe and you can't go wrong. Just don't expect a lot and you'll be fine.

I would prefer to go to the restaurant Sea View just around the corner, for a coffee and definitely for food.

• Visited March 2013