“Shame about the noise and the chaos at the bar.....”
Review of Grove Hotel

Grove Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in St. Davids
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I would have liked to have given four blobs but previous comments about the noise from the kitchen extractors are correct although they did NOT start up at 5.45am as one person said? But there was an unpleasant odour of cooking pervading the room - particularly the loo - which was not very nice.

And the other negative was the absolute chaos in the bar area with one young man trying to make the "screen" work - isn't technology supposed to speed things up? The one guy was trying to take orders for food and serve drinks which is ridiculous ?

However the food was excellent - the rump of lamb, then, the cheese and biscuits was maybe the best I have ever had.

Sort out the service at the bar I'd have given 4 blobs. The extractors, admittedly, are a bit more problematic.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank RichCotswoldChap

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The Grove Hotel relies on its position at St David's. The rooms are quite dark even on a sunny day yet the owners have tried update the furnishings. However the bed was comfortable enough. The great disappointment was dinner on our first day. We had ordered at 7pm and had to remind the waitress that we were still waiting at 8pm for unremarkable hamburger with partially cooked chips and fried fish in batter. Eventually the dishes arrived after over an hour. Judging by what we saw that evening we were not alone with our dissatisfaction. Breakfast was far better, but our impression of the hotel was coloured by our first night disappointment.

Room Tip: Wifi was not easy to access from the room 1.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ricardo105
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Booked one night B&B at cost of £95. Staff very friendly and pleasant. Room was small and in need of a good clean. Had to ask for balls of dust and fluff to be cleaned from behind radiator as well as cobwebs and spiders from room. Following morning I dropped my lipstick and it rolled under bed, shouldn't have been too surprised when I found dust, rubbish and even two old style light bulbs under bed, made me look under desk also found cobwebs and rubbish under there as well. Cleaners obviously not doing what they should be doing. We had expected to have dinner in restaurant but decided against this when told we would have to be seated by 6.15 because they had a booking for 30 people. As the other people were just dining and not actually staying for the night at the hotel we thought the hotel should have been more accommodating towards paying guests. We had to walk around looking for an alternative place to eat, we managed to book a table at the CWTCH. Very friendly staff, cocktails were excellent, meal was excellent, wine was good, very generous portions, I couldn't manage a desert, can definitely recommend dining there ( bill for two of us was £86 which was good value). Awoken early due to noisy plumbing system. Breakfast at Grove was very good, only negative the walls were stained with splashes of food which was a bit off putting, Grove is in desperate need of a good clean. This seems to sum up the Grove, excellent staff but hotel is dirty and shabby.

Room Tip: As the room be had was small and dirty, I was awoken early with the noisy plumbing system, I can not...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank millycat34
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our rooms were on the ground floor which was good .The double room was beautifully presented and cosy, with nice features such as a log burner for cooler nights. . There is a private area outside to sit in which was lovely in the evening. The hotel has an attractive walled garden , so plenty of areas to sit and relax. The staff were so helpful and friendly a special mention for Eileen, Blake and Sarah. My only criticism was the salad I had with my crab was not the best as it contained tomato ends which I would throw away, maybe more attention to detail was needed for the price.
I would recommend the hotel for its location, staff ,charm and decor and make a return visit.

Room Tip: Choose the ground floor rooms for private area outside to sit.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The location is great, service is fantastic and the staff are friendly and helpful, especially Celia,. The room is clean and comfortable. We stayed in a ground floor room, which was spacious and so comfortable. The food is beautifully prepared and presented and a joy to eat. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I arrived late afternoon to drop off my walking gear and luggage and received a warm welcome from one of the managers called Chris. The room I stayed in brilliant. Everything had been thought of, excellent bath & shower in the en suite, tea-making facilities, good fluffy towels and plenty of storage space. The morning's breakfast in the dining room was good and plentiful. I wished I had been staying longer as all the staff there made me feel like part of the family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in May at this wonderful hotel. The location is absolutely brilliant being only 100 yards from everything in the town and a five minute drive to some of the best beaches in the UK. The staff are very friendly and helpful and Celia made our anniversary special. The food was excellent and could even put mums cooking under threat.

This hotel is well worth a visit and we will be going back very soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fire place for added romance
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Haverfordwest
Wolfscastle Country Hotel
Wolfscastle Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wolf's Castle

Been to Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!