“Could have been so much more”
Review of Slebech Park

Slebech Park
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Haverfordwest
Chesterfield
“Could have been so much more”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My partner and I stayed in a studio room for three nights in October. The setting is very pleasant and contrary to some of the reviews, it is not that difficult to find. I would agree with their petition for a brown tourist sign though. The hotel itself is compromised by the design, it is the old stable block to the house, which remains in private hands. This means that the reception is a small office, separate from the main accommodation. Parking is some way from the accommodation and the rooms are on one side of the block, with the restaurant and bar on the side by the entrance. This means that to get to your room, or the restaurant, it is necessary to walk outside, across the courtyard - not great when it is raining. We also had a wait when we arrived at reception, but the staff were otherwise helpful and friendly. The studio was quite comfortable, but the lighting was dark and there was no dressing table and mirror for my partner. The 'wet room' left something to be desired, the tiles were getting a little moldy and the shower threatened to flood. For the price, the tea and coffee, could have been better than that found in a Travel Lodge. Overall it was the little details that it down and the compromises in the design could have been forgiven if the details were right. For the deal my partner negotiated it was worth it, but I would have been less happy if I had paid the standard rate. The breakfast was good, the evening meal was less inspiring, but ok. I think it would probably be disappointing if you had driven to the hotel for a meal, but it was fair enough if you did not fancy driving to eat elsewhere and were staying in the hotel. Overall, we wouldn't go back.

3 Thank Vince B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Lisburn, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Having read the previous reviews regarding Slebech Park i felt moved to write a review. We recently stayed at this hotel and enjoyed it very much. The location is stunning and the room was very comfortable indeed. I can honestly say that i could not have wished for more during my stay. The staff were always willing to help and certainly made us feel most welcome, without being too invasive.
We were so impressed that a week later we have returned - this time for a Sunday lunch with the parents. The quality of the meal was exceptional but it has to be admitted that the service was slow. This did not affect my personal enjoyment of the afternoon but it could certainly deter repeat visitors if they are not willing to wait too long.
I will be returning in the future - an idyllic retreat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Worcestershire, GB
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel's location and character make it just too good not to return for a longer stay.

We stayed at the hotel for one night only, arriving late in driving rain, and having to leave shortly after breakfast so that we could meet our friends locally for a family occasion. The young lady in Reception was very professional and welcoming, and personally escorted us to our room, which lived up to everything we expected from the description on their website.

The views of the estuary from the windows the following morning were stunning, and the sun made a short appearance, making it even more beautiful. The Pembrokeshire National Park at it's best.

One of the biggest problems with being frequent travellers is the standard of the beds provided by the hotels. At home, we have a wonderful pocketsprung bed, and we've been very disappointed at a number of hotels we've visited, having poor quality beds and bedding. My wife and I voted the bed at Slebech the second-best hotel bed we've ever slept in (the 1st. place being at the Hotel du Louvre, Paris), and the duvet and bed linen were superb.

After a refreshing shower (the waterfall shower was great), we enjoyed our breakfast, which was of a high standard. My wife particularly enjoyed the fresh salmon served by a very friendly and obliging young waitress.

The hotel is situated in a 600-acre estate, and is approached via a long driveway through unspoilt woodland - you really do feel that you're leaving the world behind, and the only sounds around the hotel are the estuary birds. Beautifully peaceful.

As I said, we're looking forward to a return trip soon.

Swindon
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here on business, so after a long drive and a hard days work I just wanted to get to my room and relax. On arriving there wasn't anyone in the reception area. I waited 10 minutes because having stayed here before I knew they showed you to your room, but still no one. I then walked over to the bar and restaraunt to find someone to help me with all my luggage in tow, but it was in darkness. I came back to the reception and waited another 10 minutes and was starting to think about leaving due to having no way of checking in. Then I thought I'd try ringing the hotel to see if there was somone somewhere who would pick up a phone, so I found a leaflet on the side and found the hotel number. When I called it, it rang in the reception where I was, great!! After ringing a while it must have gone through to the main house and the owner picked the phone up. I tried explaining what I was doing but the signal was so poor he couldn't here me, in the end I just shouted I'm in reception waiting to check in!!! He then came over and said I should have dialed 0 on the phone on the reception desk, unfortunatley the sign telling you this was down behind the desk and hadn't been put out on show!! I pointed out to him it was rather a novel way of trying to check in a hotel having to find a leaflet and call them, but he didn't seem bothered.

He wasn't a very friendly man, no pleasantry talk at all and when taking my credit card details he doubled the price of what the room was going to be, when I asked why he said it was for expendables and I hadn't been charged that yet. So they are presuming that I am going to steal the Molton Brown handwash in the room along with the dressing gown and they are covering their costs before I've even set foot in the room!!

The room was lovely with a settee in front of the TV and up some stairs to a mezanine area with the bed. Lovely I thought I can relax now and watch TV. Unfortunately they didn't have any heating on all evening so I was freezing and had to go to bed and watch the TV through the mezanine railings. I fiddled with the radiators but no joy until the morning when the heating came on, so it wasn't that it wasn't working, they just chose not to heat your room for your stay!!

In the morning I got up for my shower which was a wet room area up the side of the bath. Unfortunately the water doesn't run away quick enough so I had to abandon washing my hair and stop the shower quick as it had completely filled the bathroom and was about to run out into the bedroom area. This in turn meant the bathroom was swimming in water so everytime I wanted to use the bathroom I got wet feet!!

On checking out I told the receptionist about the shower so someone else didn't have to use it as I had, and some man (presume the manager) from behind a wall asked the receptionist what room it was, but offered no apology.

This is a gorgeous place and I would have loved to have taken my husband there for a weekend sometime but after this visit I'm afraid I wouldn't even use it for business again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Teresah44
Swansea
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Lovely room although not with an estruary view as promised.Staff seriously lacking knowledge and training. Food excellent although 'we were not offered any juice etc at breakfast.We booked a half price deal although reception staff unaware of offer even though it was on the hotel website.We were then over charged by approx £40 with no explanation or apology.

2 Thank Kath S
UK
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at Slebech Park to celebrate my father-in-law's 80th birthday with a lunchtime reception. My husband and I stayed two nights with our grown-up children joining us for the lunch and staying over the Saturday night. Other members of the family took us us to a party of 11 staying.
Our own experience was very positive - I think we probably had the best bedroom in the place with attractive and imaginative decor, beautiful views over the Cleddau estuary and we were fortunate enough to wake up to a fine morning with the sun shining on the water. The very large bed was extremely comfortable with good pillows and our room was clean with two comfortable armchairs. The bedside lighting was unusual with uplighters as well as a flexible LCD light - it didn't make it that easy to read in bed unless you could get the LCD at the right angle. We had a bath which was sited just behind a low level wall above the bedhead - a strange arrangement but it worked - there was a separate shower cubicle and door to a separate loo. Our Friday night dining experience was very good - we both had Welsh rump of lamb with scorched roots, nicely cooked. We had 2 G & T's and unlike a previous review, were left to pour our own tonic and choose how much we wanted. We had a delicious red wine from Patagonia - cabernet, malbec, merlot blend. Saturday morning breakfast was from a menu with various choices, including cockles and laverbread, which I'm afraid we weren't brave enough to try!

Reception were happy to provide us with a map for walks from the hotel. It is an exceptionally beautiful and remote location.

We were a party of 11 staying over the Saturday night and certainly the buffet Sunday breakfast did not mirror that of the Saturday morning, but the food quality was good and the restaurant seemed pretty busy in addition to our own number. It was probably understaffed given the number of guests (perhaps 28-30 while we were breakfasting) with only one waitress.

The staff were young but always charming and helpful and the new manager of two weeks put himself out to ensure that our Saturday lunch for 19 went smoothly. The owner was very helpful in setting up a projector for our slide show and the function room itself was most attractive with central fireplace and french doors either side opening onto a small terrace overlooking the river. It certainly wasn't the clinical conference facility it might have been and it was ideal for our purposes.

We did have difficulty checking out and that seemed to be down to a combination of an awkward computer system, the newness of the member of staff at reception and the fact that we were paying for a number of rooms at the same time. We certainly expect to be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an estuary view and pay a bit more if you want a superior room.