“Mrs Keay”
other travelers have booked this property
The Lounge and Dining Area
The Lounge and Dining Area
Haverfordwest Castle
The Layout of the Property
The WC and Shower Room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Nikki K
Pembrokeshire wales
“Mrs Keay”
Reviewed October 30, 2016 for a stay in October 2016

We stayed in this delightful cottage between 22nd and 26th October.
On collecting the key we found the directions to the cottage to be very straightforward and no problems with parking our car.Parking can be limited at times but there is a car park and off street parking very close by.
We had read previous negative comments about this property and we were a little worried at what we may find but I have to say we should not have worried at all.
The sofa bed which appears to have caused some problems was replaced with a very comfortable Futon (we both slept like logs!)so no complaints from us there as we bothlike our sleep.
The kitchen was very clean and well equipped with everything we could have possibly needed to cook a meal and the hob it's self looked brand new!
Haverfordwest is a charming town and has lots to offer as does the surrounding area but if you did wish to stay in the free WiFi and sky entertainment with the movies package was a very nice addition to such a lovely little cottage.
What ever complaints have been written previously have obviously all been resolved by the owners as we really did find this cottage warm,clean,cosy and superbly kitted out with everything we could have possibly needed and also excellent value for money.
We will be back!

Oct 31, 2016
Thank you for your review Mr Keay, Indeed since taking over the running and management of the Farriers Cottage, we have taken on board previous negative comments and we have worked hard to put things right again for our guests. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Farriers and hope you come and stay with us again.
lizzie930
Gladstone, Australia
“Not for 4”
Reviewed July 20, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

My parents, myself and my young daughter stayed here in June. It was advertised as sleeps 4, but really should be changed to sleeps 2. The sofa / sofabed was nothing short of horrific. My father, who complains about nothing, was tempted to drag it out onto the street and donate to the town's homeless population. It was awful. Bare wooden frames were all you could feel as the stuffing was so pushed in. Has the owner sat on it lately? Or slept on it? With two people? Try sleeping two people on a sofa bed which barely has room for one, and feels like wooden pallets. One of us ended up sleeping on the floor for 3 nights. The upstairs bedroom, thank goodness was very spacious and comfortable. This property would be much better marketed as sleeps 2, and ditch the sofabed downstairs. There were only 2 chairs for eating (tag team for dinner) and only 2 towels provided. The kitchen could be better equipped. Most people who choose self catering actually plan to cook. Basic things like a vegetable peeler, strainer, a decent knife, lids for saucepans to speed up cooking would have been handy. The light and exhaust fan about the stove did not work. The stove top knobs were illegible and lucky dip. One of them didn't work and one was barely working. It took an hour to boil an egg. The kitchen light was so dim and so far away that you needed a miners light to prepare dinner at night. All of these things are fairly basic and can be fixed easily with a bit of TLC. Parking directly outside the entrance wasn't an issue for us, but instructions to the small one-way street from which parking is accessible would have been handy. In 8 weeks travelling around the UK this booking I regret despite the price.

Jul 21, 2016
Thanks for your feedback, we always welcome constructive criticism, this is how we improve our service. We will look into the suggestions you have made regarding the property and take any needed appropriate action. I have already relisted the property as sleeps 2 - the sofa bed is being replaced.

Travelers are raving about these Haverfordwest hotels

david s
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“Great base for exploring Pembrokeshire.”
Reviewed August 28, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

The cottage was easy to find and although the immediate parking outside is limited it is very easy to park off road within a couple of minutes walk and for free. The property was clean and well presented and had everything we required for our stay. The town centre is a 5-10 minute walk, although you need to allow a bit more time for the walk back up the steep hill. It is a great central base to explore Pembrokeshire, the seaside towns of Tenby, Saundersfoot, St Davids and Newport are all about a 30 minute drive away and there is lots to do within the area surrounding Havordfordwest.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Property had everything we required
Liked least: Poor TV signal
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Kevin M
“Good Location”
Reviewed July 25, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

After booking, I received a blank email from the owner & was unsuccessful in contacting the owner until my arrival in Haverfordwest. I then had to find a pub to pick up the key. The pub just holds the key & did not know the address, except the number 21G on the key ring. I found the street by Goggling & it was confirmed by a person in the pub, but no 21G in the street. Luckily no Neighbourhood Watch as I tried a few doors before opening No 96A. No electricity, switched the power on from the meter box situated high up behind the front door. Not happy spending well over an hour just getting into the house then having to put the power on. As power was off the boiler timer was out & each morning had to use the booster for a hot shower (instructions provided). Place is basic but OK if you eat out most nights. This my third trip to the UK in 5 years & is the first time I have experienced a problem.

Liked best: Location, Haverfordwest excellent for visiting Pembrokeshire
Liked least: Contacting the owner & finding the property
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jul 26, 2015
Hi Kevin.

I am sorry to hear that you had a blank email from us. We had been sending out a .PDF file with instructions on where to find the property, which included a MAP and contact details. However, at some point recently Holiday Lettings changed something on their system and the attachment wasn't being included. We had not been made aware of the changes and not sure exactly when the issue started.

This had affected a number of our Guests - I am now including these details through text on the booking confirmation email.

This has been very frustrating for us as well as out Guests, I have tried to contact Holiday Lettings to find out more about this, but I am still in the dark.

Also, very sorry to hear about the power not being on, the trip switch must have been thrown overnight. These things happen, there is not much we can do about this sort of thing.

Rgds

Rob Hughes
MaggieLin...
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Great base for exploring”
Reviewed June 24, 2015 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

Being a Harford girl and for 4 years walking past this property on my way to school, never noticing it was there. It is a little gem. after being away from H'west for nearly 25 years it was lovely to be home again.
The cottage is perfect for 2 people, being on the top end of town you get your daily exercise walking up and down to the town centre.
Can't wait until I get the chance to come home again, and The farriers Cottage will be my base to explore Pembrokeshire

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Being just outside of the town centre
Liked least: The shower not enough water pressure
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Your age range 35-49
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: convenience and cost for property
Liked least: no central heating meant it was freezing!
Your age range 25-34
Feb 27, 2015
Hi There.

We are really sorry to hear that the heating did not work during your stay. However, this is the first time we have heard about this from you and have not been made aware of the problem before reading your review.

I would like to mention that our contact details are clearly detailed in the cottage in case there are any problems such as this. We have a fully qualified Electrician (Brian Rees) on hand that would have either rectified this problem for you or we would have put an extra oil heater in the property for the remainder of your stay.

We think it's a little bit unfair to leave negative feedback, when if given the chance, we would have sorted this problem out for you immediately with very little effort needed - even if this meant coming out in the middle of the night and nipping over the 24 hour Tesco across the road and buying a new heater, it would not have been a problem I can assure you.

Needless to say - I have now requested for Brian to go into the property to check out the electrics before we accept another booking - if the problem cannot be resolved for the night storage heaters - we will put another oil heater into the property.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to offer you a free night if you decide to stay with us again, if you do decide to give us another go - let me know which dates you want to book and I will reduce the cost of 1 night for you. Pembrokeshire is a fantastic place to stay during the summer or winter and I don't want this incident put you off coming back again.

I can assure you and anyone else who is reading this review, that the problem regarding the heating will be fixed before anyone else stays at the property.

We take the comfort of our Guests very seriously and am deeply sorry about this problem and offer our sincere apologies.

Thanks

Rob Hughes
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing