“Beautiful Location with great Food”
Review of The Druidstone

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haverfordwest
The Druidstone
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Haverfordwest
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Location with great Food”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had to organise an impromptu lunch for a significant event recently and were not disappointed with the service, location and quality of food on the day. The staff were helpful and polite and the whole atmosphere was perfect with what we wanted. We ate with a beautiful seaview, there was ample of room and outdoor space for the children to freely play. Druidstone suits a a particular taste, if you feel relaxed in bohemian, low key and quirky environments this is ideal, but I can see this may clash with some customers and their particular needs.

I have to echo the views of John mCDevon's contribution to tripadvisor agreeing completely that to preserve Driudstone for the future it will need more overview management to ensure the right standards are maintained.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Guigal9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is very special to me, I got married here earlier this year and used to visit as a child. The service, atmosphere and evening food are all terrific. Nonetheless I do have some minor reservations and, uniquely, I feel I can't top the recent review below by JohnMcDevon, who is absolutely on the money. Unlike him, I'll be back regardless if it remains in its current state, but I really don't have anything to add to his comments, except to emphasise the quality of the staff, and to say that if you've never been, GO!

Room Tip: The two rooms at the top are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Unlike some reviewers, my wife and I do 'get' the Druidstone - indeed, we've returned there several times. To put it mildly, the dot categories above and below can't really tell the story. The place is all about, in no particular order: a relaxed, slightly wacky, atmosphere; remoteness; a weather-beaten building with magnificent coastal views; superb food; dog-friendliness; the certainty of 'avoiding Conde-Nast style-victims on holiday' (as Rough Guides put it). We'll sign up to all that.
However, after a five-night stay this week, we felt for the first time a frisson of negativity, especially when looking at the size of the bill. But the views are still magnificent, the atmosphere relaxed, the evening food consistently terrific, the staff friendly and obliging as always. Why then the frisson?

It's because, as far as hotel guests are concerned, we think there's a bit too much complacency in the Druidstone's ramshackle, heel-in-plughole, free-and-easy attitude. We reckon that after 40 years' existence and, especially now, after the death of co-founder Jane Bell, it's time for a bit of self-examination. There are things to be done which would in no way damage the essence of the place but would justify what now seems to us an inflated price tag.
Breakfast, for example. Unlike evening meals, it's a hit-and-miss, take-it-or-leave-it affair. There's really no excuse for some of the bowls having great chips out of them, yet they appeared day after day during our stay. And I really don't like my Sugar Puffs fused into a solid lump through being left out and open all night. What about a few more culinary options to match the standard of the evenings? Kippers anybody?
Then there's the bedrooms. We're not asking for 21st-century plumbing - heaven forbid, the comedy sound effects in certain rooms might disappear. But it would be nice to see, for example, the old rad in Room 1 repaired or replaced. And would the ravens fly the Tower if the odd bit of scarred woodwork got a lick of paint now and again? If the portable radio on the landing had an aerial and actually worked? There must be lots of other stuff, too, for management to take the trouble to check.
There are no TVs in the bedrooms - that's part of the Druidstone ethos - so how about a friendly, unposh lounge rather than the no-go, child-strewn shambles which currently greets those who enter?
The Druidstone does so much that's right and these really are only minor tweaks - anything too drastic would throw the baby out with the bathwater. However one senses that, for hotel guests at least, if the place doesn't have a critical look at itself, a tipping point might not be too far off.
I venture to suggest that a firmer hand on the tiller and a few small stitches in time might actually secure the hotel's place in people's hearts for many more years to come. Unless it happens, I'm not sure we'd be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank JohnMcDevon
Glasgow
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked this based on the positive trip advisor ratings.

On the positive it is in a fantastic location over-looking a beautiful bay on the Pembrokeshire coast. It is clean, warm and comfortable with loads of character. The staff I met were reasonably friendly.

On the down side it is poorly sign-posted and hard to find (especially in the dark). When I enquired about breakfast I was told this would be served between 8.30 and 10.30 (perhaps okay at a weekend or if you are on holiday, but less so if you are on business). Come 8.45, three other (hungry) guests and myself but still no sign of any staff. Eventually had to work out my own bill and leave a pile of cash on an unattended reception desk (not my preferred payment method).

Laziness and poor customer service passing itself of as "Quirkiness"?

Such a shame as it has the potential to be so much more. (Perhaps it was just an off day.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Brian H
Broseley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

first visited in 1978 still really great place to be, right on the coastal path but far away from everything you were trying to leave behind. The bar is really cosey in winter and food and company great. Always a great choice of music playing and often its live.
If you need any advice on how to enjoy yourself Jane or the hotel staff will always be helpful and when we got stuck in the rain they came and fetched us!

Room Tip: just tell Jane what you want
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
East anglia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We followed the recommendation from the owners of our holiday let in Broad Haven.For our last evening on holiday we booked at The Druidstone.We arrived in plenty of time and were happy to sit waiting for our meal with our drinks,over-looking the beautiful St Brides Bay. We were first tempted with divine rolls hot from the oven..mmmmm.Our food arrived beautifully presented,freshly cooked and the taste buds went wild. All of it was delicious,served by friendly staff. As the dining room got busier it filled with the golden setting sunlight over the bay.A true delight.I hope we will return to this unique restaurant again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank VanFanEastanglia
Bristol
Reviewed July 30, 2012

So beautiful, friendly staff, homely atmosphere. Quirky and unusual with a traditional style about it too. Little bar area downstairs which is perfect on chilly winter evenings. Stunning views from the outdoor seating areas, looking out the sea and down onto the beach. One of my favourite places in Pembs, by far. Recommend to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rainbowmoonfish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haverfordwest
Slebech Park
#1 of 1 in Molleston
The County Hotel
The County Hotel
#6 of 6 in Haverfordwest

Been to The Druidstone? Share your experiences!