“Don't Miss This! Walk with a Hawk!”

Pembrokeshire Falconry
More attraction details
Owner description: Our aim is to give everyone, no matter how old or how young, the chance to experience that thrill of having a bird of prey or owl, fly to your glove. By only taking bookings for private groups, we are able to make each moment you spend with the birds all the more special, as it's tailored to you and your family and friends. All of our experiences include refreshments and free photos of you flying the birds
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was something I'd always promised I would do, and at the age of 58 I finally got round to it and loved every minute. My wife Penny walked with us and did the photographic work, while our friend Helen and I flew Zephyr, a female Harris hawk. The setting of Picton Castle and neighbouring woodland was wonderful and Zephyr followed us via the trees, while coming to the glove when we offered her food. Well, apart from when she spotted something in the woods and flew off in hot pursuit; she didn't catch anything but Alex got a leg full of thorns when he raced to bring her back. The buzz of having a hawk fly in from distance and land on your gloved hand was even better than I'd imagined. Alex is the perfect guide, very friendly and full of information about birds of prey. Alex, thanks for all the great photographs you sent and for a terrific day.
Best wishes
Bill

1  Thank billyvallette

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had a perfect morning on the 'Hawk Walk' with Alex and the two Harris Hawks at Picton Castle. It was incredibly peaceful there first thing in the morning, and with hardly anyone around we felt extremely privileged to experience the beauty of these birds being flown in the grounds and the gardens of the castle. There really is nothing quite like walking along with these birds flying from tree to tree, following you along the way and soaring over head, and having them land on your gloved hand for a quick treat before taking off again. Alex knows his stuff and is an excellent host, really getting you involved in the whole experience. He loves his hawks and it shows in his enthusiasm. It really was a pleasure, and we will definitely be going back for more in the future.

1  Thank Shaun S
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The afternoon with Alex and Zephyr and Malachi ( 2 Harris Hawks) was a surprise birthday gift from my partner Caroline and it was without doubt the best surprise present ever. We had a wonderful time in the grounds of Picton Castle and ended up with over 800 photos and a clutch of excellent memories. You get to fly the hawks and get up close and personal with them. Alex was informative and entertaining and I would recommend the experience to anyone.

1  Thank bobelmwood
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was an all day activity spent at Picton Castle nr Haverfordwest. We flew Harris Hawks, a Scops Owl, an Eagle Owl, a Buzzard then 2 Kestrels. We had a lovely lunch in the coffee shop, which was included in the price; My husband has always been fascinated by birds of prey and this was an amazing experience for us both, the highlight was when the Kestrels,started mobbing us because they wanted feeding but didn't want to fly. It was hilarious . A huge thank you to Alex Hill for making it such a wonderful day and for all the amazing photos, some of which are attached, also to Malachi, Zephir, Frodo, Popeye and the other birds. Alex is a great teacher, very patient and a very skilled falconer. I would highly recommend this day to anyone, but if you don't want to do all day you can also do a Hawk Walk which is half day just flying the Harris Hawks.

1  Thank BerkshireJenny
Reviewed September 1, 2012

What an incredible day flying hawks and owls with Alex and Emma at Picton castle, Pembrokeshire. The setting was fantastic and the handlers got the best out of the birds (Malachi the Harris hawk and Frodo the owl) and emailed me loads of brilliant photographs too .If this wasn't enough, I was also given the opportunity to handle their other birds, be shown how to prepare the birds to fly and given loads of advice and tips on how to pursue my interest. If you are interested in birds of prey, this experience is a must and I will be booking again.

2  Thank Gavin B