“Yummy!”

The Royal George
Ranked #67 of 106 Restaurants in Haverfordwest
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The fish was excellent and the beer went down well. The atmosphere was lively and we enjoyed a relaxed evening with spectacular veiws.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a nice friendly pub in Upper Solva. The beer is fine (but beware the fake Felinfoel handpump). They do genuine home cooked meals - I had the common Welsh dish of faggots and chips which were very good, but two of our party chose cottage pie and these were still frozen in the middle when they were served. When we mentioned it they were removed and reheated properly, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. It put us off eating there again, but we still went back for the beer.

1  Thank BrianRelax
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I arrived in the car park on a lovely sunny day and was warmly greeted by a table of locals. So as you can imagine I was feeling good about the place. I ordered my Soda and lime, the bar lady asked me to taste it for strength (a first ever fo me so well done). I was dissapointed to learn that they didn't do lunch that day so I decided to get the pasty for tomorrows trip to Skomer from the car. Moments before I started heading to the car the bar lady asked if would like crab salad with new potatoes. I jumped at the opportunity. I was pleased with the large plate of food presented, good quality and a reasonable price. I will return when I am next in the area, in the mean time thanks very much, you have a great vibrant place with a chirpy clientelle.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went here with my son, partner and his daughter... it was a hoot. We arrived at the same time as a few others with their kids, who got their orders in first, so the childrens food was limited but it all was very funny as the poor waiteress had to keep coming out to tell one of the families in the pub that what they had ordered had ran out. We ended up ordering three adult meals and one child burger. I ordered the lamb shank which came with mustard mash and seasonal veg.. a mix up probably my fault with the order as I got salad with the lamb gravy, but again it just made us laugh as the poor waitress was at this point beside herself and was totally lovely as was the bar lady. My partner had the fresh dressed crab which was served in a plastic grab case.. very funny. He tripped over what he thought was a step coming back to his chair but then realised it was a big dog. who then moved under the table we were eating from. very friendly dog.
Overall, maybe the food wasnt the best we had had, but the evening was one of the most hillarious of the week. The staff and dog were fantastic and it is still making me chuckle.
would def recommend to visit.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We called for an evening meal during our week's stay in Solva. The bar was quite busy, seemingly mostly locals, and everybody was very friendly. The pub is very basic in style and decor, and there were a couple of dogs wandering around off the lead (one of whom was the pub dog, a friendly brown labrador). There was a leaflet in our holiday apartment advertising takeaway Chinese from the Royal George but there was no Chinese food on the menu which was a bit confusing. I went for the fish of the day - mackeral - when it came it was nicely cooked (albeit only a very small fish - two would have been better) and was served with a large salad and one new potato! The meal was perfectly acceptable and was fairly priced, my other half also thought his meal - sausage and chips - was OK. Although we're both dog-lovers (and, indeed, had our own Border Collie with us, who stayed on her lead and tucked under the table which is what she does every time we take her into a pub), we didn't feel it appropriate for the resident dog - sweet though she was - to sit between us, salivating and staring intently at our food whilst we ate - as soon as we'd finished she bustled off to the next table to subject the diners there to the same treatment! All in all, it was a perfectly adequate meal in a perfectly adequate pub, but there was nothing there that tempted us back for a second visit.

1  Thank Buddysmum