“A good place!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lampeter
UK Midlands
“A good place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay at Falcondale - everyone was very helpful and the word 'no' did not appear in their lexicon. My only proviso was that the tasting menu should not be undertaken by anyone who is not a confirmed trencherman. It is not really a 'tasting menu', rather a 7- course gargantuan feast. It was all excellent, but we felt it was just too much - we enjoyed the normal menu very much more. The kitchen team is excellent - not only does the food look appetising, it is full of flavour and beautifully seasoned; it is also brought to table as soon as it is cooked. Well done, guys - we shall be back.

Antony Moore.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Falcondale_Hotel, Front Office Manager at The Falcondale Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you "antonymoore" for your lovely review of us here at The Falcondale.

We hope that we may be able to tempt you back at a later date.

Diolch, Meleri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Bideford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

could not fault the food,rooms or service- all of a very high standard.

Took our dog and it was perfect for walks in the ground very dog friendly.
Will certainly recommend to friends particularly those who like superb
food and a very reasonable wine list .
Cant wait to go again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Falcondale_Hotel, Front Office Manager at The Falcondale Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Falcondale, and again for staying an extra night.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed on Tuesday 15th April. My girlfriend and I got a very good deal to stay at this hotel. We paid just £139 and received a room for the night, breakfast and a 7-course taster menu for dinner. This represents very good value for money and I left here feeling that I had received a wonderful night away for very little outlay. Having checked the prices on the hotel's website, I think that the deal we received should have been about £305.

Once we had parked in the ample, free car-park, we were greeted very warmly and check-in swiftly. Our bags were taken to our room and we relaxed in the conservatory, sipping our complimentary prosecco. Initial impressions were very good. It is a lovely country house/mansion. Decor is tasteful and pleasant. Fittings, fixtures and furnishings are of high quality.

We were then taken to our room. As with the rest of the hotel, tastefully decorated and fitted. It was a small suite-style room with a wardrobe, dresser, couch, bed and bathroom. It consisted of a large, comfy bed, a lovely tea/coffee tray complete with herbal teas, hot chocolate and biscotti. The bathroom was well kept and had the brightest lights known to man (which can be dimmed) - helpful for applying make-up, or so I'm told. Bathrobes were fluffy!

We relaxed for the sunny afternoon in the garden with a chilled bottle of prosecco and played croquet. We also had a wander round the beautifully kept grounds. I could not have asked for a better afternoon.

At about half past 7, we popped down to the bar to have a pre-dinner drink. We were served swiftly and brought lovely canapes by a french (I think) waiter who explained what we had been brought to enjoy.

Dinner started and the food was excellent. It really was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I would recommend the food here without hesitation and would consider returning (and pay full price) for the 7-course taster menu again. It was actually 9 courses really as there are canapes and pre-starters so you get even more than expected. We enjoyed a reasonably priced bottle of vivanco rose (£22) too. I can't stress enough how nice the food was. From the mushroom risotto, to the amazing poached pears, it was all exquisite.

After a good night's sleep, we returned downstairs in the morning for breakfast. Breakfast was, as with dinner, excellent. Fresh, tasty and cooked very well. Service at breakfast was brilliant. Prompt, friendly and couldn't have been bettered.

Now, the bad points... There are very few things to raise as criticisms. We were not expecting silver service, but the only thing that let this hotel down was that the service at dinner was surprisingly bad. The wait staff seemed very inexperienced at serving food and drinks. Not one of the 3 or 4 waiters or waitresses that served us food explained what it was we were about to enjoy. The plates were simply popped down in front of us without a word - apart from one waitress introduced the scallop dish as "Two scallops" as there were, indeed, two scallops on the plate along with tomatoes and some sort of sauce. After the wine was opened I was not offered to taste it first. The food was delivered so quickly that there was little time to rest between courses. Considering that there were 8 courses served to the table (including the pre-starter) and that we sat down to eat at 8pm, we had finished the final course at 9:20pm. We felt very rushed and didn't have time to savour the courses. No tea or coffee was offered (Even though I was stuffed, I wanted to try the petit fours).

Overall, we did enjoy our stay here and £139 for everything was excellent value for money considering the standard of hotel, food and service. However, if I had paid over £300 then I would have felt short-changed.

We can't afford to regularly spend a lot of money on nice hotels and meals but when we have spent around £300 (which is the price-point of our 'deal' we received at The Falcondale), we have received vastly better service and that is what let this hotel down.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you "mattsando" for taking time out in writing your review. It is clear that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, and that the food was "excellent" throughout your stay.

It seems that on this occasion we let ourselves down on the service during your dinner, and can only apologise for this lack of attention. We believe that previous Tripadvisor comments shows that this was an exception. This is certainly something that we can now address and make the necessary improvements for the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

My husband was at university in Lampeter in the 60s and hasn't been back to the area since then. So when we saw a Groupon deal for the Falcondale we took the opportunity to return. We very much enjoyed our two night stay and were made to feel very welcome. Our room was large and immaculately clean. Lots of lovely touches - catetiere coffee, a flyer with the daily weather forecast, good quality toiletries and the best selection of magazines in our room and in the hotel lounges that we have ever encountered - catering for every taste. My husband read all the recent copies of Grand Designs!
The food was wonderful - you had to savour every mouthful. Just a pity that the chef didn't come out to speak to us after all the compliments.
Even though we are unlikely to be back in this part of Wales, we will be recommending this hotel to our friends.
One tip - we loved visiting Aberaeron. Excellent Tourist Information and next door was the Harbour Master's where we had coffee.

Room Tip: We were very happy with our room 21.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Falcondale_Hotel, Front Office Manager at The Falcondale Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review, it is greatly appreciated.

The Groupon offer has now ended, but we have fabulous escapes and offers (and advanced purchase) available direct from our own website.

Our chefs are a little shy and don't like to come out of the kitchen too often, however we will be passing on your comments.

Diolch yn fawr, Meleri
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

It was my lady's birthday and I wanted to treat her to a stay in a top class hotel on my limited budget. Groupon had a deal which had apparently run out when I tried to book it but the receptionist / manager offered me a matching deal.
Lovely setting and nice welcome - but a bit of a let down thereafter.
The bedroom carpet was worn and stained and the room smelled stale and was in need of decoration, the bathroom was very small with nowhere to put toilet bags. It also had that irritating toilet seat which would not stay up - not to mention the time it took for the cistern to refill !!
The carpets throughout the hotel need renewing.
The "market" dinner menu was a take it or leave it meal. An upgrade to full a la carte was £10 per head, and there were some supplements on top .
Very noisy through the night - bad sound-proofing, and dog noises!
Now the good news - the breakfast was first class. Full Welsh and seconds if you wanted. Excellent
Overall I feel that the price we paid ( about half of the published tariff) was a lot too much. The hotel needs complete refurbishment before they can justify the prices charged.
A beautiful location sadly let down.

Room Tip: The hotel is 'dog friendly'. Be aware of this if you are not.
3 Thank Ian L
Lisa H, Owner at The Falcondale Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Well Ian L, sometimes we just don't get it right - and this is one of those times!

I beg to differ over some of the points, but for me I just don't understand when you are not happy with a room or there is a fault with something during your stay - such as the toilet - that you don't bring it to the attention of myself or the manager on duty at the time - so that we are able to try and do something about it. All our rooms are different and as such each have their own features and styles - some are more classical than others and a range of the bedrooms can be seen on our website.
I think Ian L should perhaps have read the original offer more carefully as to what was included as it was clearly stated that dinner would be from the market menu - of which a sample is available on our website and accommodation would be in a standard room all for a total price for 2 people of £139.00. If he had wanted to upgrade on either it was possible. With regard to being dog friendly, I make no apology- we are very clear on our own website and the confirmation letter also made Ian L aware of this before arrival.
We are in a time when everyone is looking for and using deal sites, and what many do not realise is that as well as 20% VAT, there is a very high commission to come off the price that is paid -usually around 20- 25% - so there is not normally a profit made on a 1st visit. Our main aim is that our guests enjoy their time with us and hopefully return to us direct. We are obviously disappointed that this was not the case for Ian L.

We are constantly refurbishing and updating something - but over the last few years it has been more important to me to make sure that our welcome, hospitality, clean rooms, great food and keeping our "team" in employment has been the highest priority rather than reacting to the latest interior decorating trend.
We are excited and delighted that our ground floor carpeting will be completed this year. We have no plans to change the carpet in room 6, which contrary to the opinion of Ian L is not worn out - or stained unless that was when he opened his own bottle in the room!
When I said at the beginning we sometimes don't get it right, I should not have extended to him the deal that was ended but he said he didn't know how they worked as he doesn't use the internet much!! and with a total spend of £3.95 - it won't help with any future refurbishment plans!
Powys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

We booked our stay as a last minute thought and were looking forward to it. We weren' t dissapointed.Lovely friendly hotel, nothing was too much bother, the food was fantastic, the setting was superb, would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014
Falcondale_Hotel, Front Office Manager at The Falcondale Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write such a lovely review, it is greatly appreciated.

Maybe next time you should take a look at our website for the latest escapes and offers so that you can stay that "little bit longer".

Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Falcondale Hotel for one night for a mini break for our first wedding anniversary. We also booked the 7 course tasting menu for dinner.
Upon arrival we were checked in, our bags taken to our room and given a glass of Prosecco to enjoy in the lounge.
Our room was lovely and had a beautiful view across the grounds.
The food we were served for the tasting menu was superb and the chef even had to think on his feet to cover my husbands aversion to fish. The waiters were fab and everyone was so helpful and polite. We offered our compliments to the chef on the night but hopefully this review fully commends his food.
The breakfast in the morning was delightful and the staff we encountered during breakfast and checkout were second to none.
The only downside is that we live so far away otherwise I think I would spend more time there.
Just to add we stayed on a Monday night and we appeared to be the only guests. I have experienced this in other hotels and it has been a sorry affair. At the Falcondale the atmosphere created by the happy staff made the hotel so welcoming you really didn't feel lost on our own.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Falcondale_Hotel, Front Office Manager at The Falcondale Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you Hayley T for taking the time and effort in writing a review of us here at The Falcondale, it is greatly appreciated by the whole team. It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we may be able to welcome you back in the future.

Diolch, Meleri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lampeter
Y Talbot
#2 of 3 in Llandeilo
Castle Hotel
Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Aberaeron

Been to The Falcondale Hotel? Share your experiences!