“Had better”

Mango House - Magor
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Magor
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Had better”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Came here with some colleagues after work last week, very impressed with the spicy pickles and staff were friendly but not that efficient. My main course was lacking in depth, lots of tomato and all just a bit bland. I did notice they have a section with some of the traditional dishes with added chilli for the lads night out brigade. Bill came to more than we expected too. In short: Average food, good service, nice atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank someoldgit

Washington, DC
“Tasty meal and friendly service”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were staying in the nearby Hampton Hotel and went into Magor for dinner. We decided upon the Mango House. It has very nice decor. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our waiter was especially kind and we enjoyed speaking with him. We had eaten a late lunch so didn't order a very big dinner. We both really enjoyed our food though. It is nice to have good food in a nice looking restaurant. We were there on a Saturday night and it seemed to be a popular place. If we lived in the area we would be happy to frequent this nice restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, friendly and efficient service”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We enjoyed a very nice meal, well presented with very friendly service.

Perhaps a little bit pricey, but in my opinion worth it for the service and the ambiance.

This is smart dining, not a cheap Indian take-away

• Visited April 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Over-rated”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have eaten in this restaurant twice now. Each time the food has left a lot to be desired. A work colleague keeps telling me that the food is great which is why I returned for a second go.
On my first visit I said that I like my curries very spicy and asked for extra heat. The curry delivered was indeed hot but the spicing was very one-dimensional. Almost like a tomato sauce with naga pickle thrown into it.

Tonights meal was vegetable samosas followed by chicken tikka masala. The samosas were disappointing. They were obviously bought in and all the worse for that. The tikka masala ( which had been ordered madras/vindaloo strength) was insipid to say the least. Allied to this was a vivid red colour which may have been the result of throwing in some of the shredded coconut used in the pickle tray. I would struggle to call the thick gloop which accompanied the chicken a "sauce". The dish was returned to the kitchen whereupon it had extra chillies added and returned to the table. I ate the food but only so as to not embarrass my colleague who had recommended the place.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank lemmy999
mangohouse552042, Manager at Mango House - Magor, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time on giving a clear opinion on your meal. I would like to confirm I was at the restaurant and dealt with your request and also took your order.
We can Gaurentee every order is prepared accordingly and the somosa orderered was made before serving. On your visit I can recall you making a comment on Your Main course not being hot enough but We did take it back and increased the heat.
Chicken Tikka Masalla is one of our best selling mild dish and it is red prepared mainly with almond and coconut, we try to serve it as perfect as possible. On request we do increase the heat but to much will compromise its flavour. We appreciate you wanted it hot but it was not hot enough, we did ask if you would still want it to be hotter and you replied it was fine . We asked your friend he aplogised and said you simply like really hot curries and nothing is to hot, our chefs has a duty to make food as enjoyable as possible. We hope you will come along with your friend again and give us a chance to serve a meal where the dish can be experimented with heat.
Newport, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rugby celerbrations”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

March 18 2013 My wife and i went to the mango house because we had both been in work and niether of us fancied cooking so we both decided to go for a curry when got there what a warm welcome we had from alan
the atmoshere was electric and the food was absalutely fantastic we both enjoyed ourselves . The staff were very friendly which made our night a good night thank you to alan and all the staff at the mango house . Pam & richie