“Food great, service OK”
Review of The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Golden Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Magor
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Popped into The Lion for a lunchtime meal. Service was initially prompt, ordered drinks and meals; then 10 minutes later the Restaurant Manager came over to apologise for the delay and told us that our meals would be with us shortly, which I thought was a little odd as waiting 10 minutes wasn’t out of the way for freshly cooked meals. However, another 30 minutes elapsed before our meals turned up. When our meals did turn up, they were very good. What I couldn’t understand, was that there were less than 10 diners in the pub, four people had turned up a little before us, ordered starters and a main course each, and they were served both before us, I would’ve expected to receive ours, as we only ordered main courses, to be served in between the diners who had ordered the two courses.

All in all, as stated, meals were excellent, but service could be better.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have eaten here 4 times, the food has always been good. The most recent visit over the Easter school holidays was when I offered to treat 2 family members because they have a fixed price menu before 7pm. We went along at lunchtime on Friday 22nd March and when I asked for the fixed price menu (at the bar-the staff are slow to serve you at table) I was told it did not apply to Fridays. I said that I believed the menu stated otherwise but was told I was wrong. I then retreived a menu from our table and pointed out that in fact it did state the fixed price was daily. I was then told that the menu was wrong! There was no attempt at an apology. A more appropriate way of dealing with this situation would have been to agree the menu information was a mistake and have offered us on this one occasion the fixed price. But who am I to tell the owners of a Michelin starred restaurant how to deal with customers-(the Crown at Whitebrook is part of the group). Up until this point we were regular patrons but I have been put off by the poor attitude of the staff and doubt I will be visting again soon. Pity it seemed so promising.

1  Thank Reajazz
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

The menu is novel (e.g. three fish varieties wrapped in paper and baked). The staff are oh so attentive.

Not really pub food and the restaurant area is definitely not a pub.

Highly recommended if you are in the area.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A superb evening. Only called in for early evening drinks however as we saw the quality of the food coming out from the kitchen we asked if we could dine that evening.A most pleasant waitress, found us a lovely table in the restaurant straight away. We started with the mixed tapas sharer great, then we both had the steak and ale pie but asked for chips instead of mashed potatoes, which they said was no problem. When it arrived the individual steak and ale pie with shortcrust and suet pastry was obviously freshly made and tasted every bit as good as it looked. the chips were again home made and well presented in an individual chrome basket. The portions were of a mans size and you would certainly not leave hungry.The entire waiting staff were very attentive throughout the meal making sure everything was to our liking. The restaurant was full by 8.0pm but we were not at all rushed to finish our meal we did however take our remaining wine into the bar to enable others to enjoy the food on offer. The manager/owner came over and thanked us for vacating the table and to ensure we enjoyed the meal. A good tip if you like red wine try the house red it is great value and taste.
We will certainly be back soon as there are many other dishes we want to try.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Golden Lion has, by the looks of things, had a lot of money spent on it. The decor is light and fresh but the tables in the restaurant area are a little cramped.
There were five of us, three adults, a 5yr old and a baby. We mentioned when we booked that we'd need a high chair and then we had to wait ten mins or more whilst one was dug out of the back room! Not a brilliant start really.
The first course wasnt bad but a little slow. The main courses on this particular Sunday weren't bad either although I found my meat very fatty and a little pinker than the "medium" I'd asked for. My friends lamb looked better but was a little dry.

The deserts, again, were ok at best. I had the apple crumble and custard and, jokingly, said it appeared I had a radish in my crumble....it was a strawberry and the waitress looked appalled!

All in all the food was fair but, judging by the prices, the owners think they're a great deal better than we did.
The staff weren't awful although we did have to ask for things two or three times before we got them. We asked for bread and it was as if we were the first to ask for it, EVER!
All in all Golden Lion was overpriced and perhaps not particularly family friendly.

2  Thank Twoblokes