We have stayed in other budget hotels in the Cardiff / Newport area before, which, to be honest i checked availability for before finding this hotel. As we booked fairly late they were all in the £80 range, so when i found this hotel at just over £40 with breakfast for 2 included i gave it a go.
On arrival the lady on reception was very nice and booked us in very quickly. we were on the 4th floor despite the hotel being pretty quiet. This did give brilliant views back over the river though.
The room was amazingly well equipped for the price. A sofa with footstool, a large bed and a desk area (with free wired broadband, although a very short wire that meant you could only use your computer at the desk).
There was even a clock radio on the bedside table. The addition of plug sockets beside the bed was also a good addition. it might just be me but i found it very handy to be able to charge my phone on the bedside table, instead of the other side of the room on the desk.
The bathroom was very well fitted, with a large walk in shower and plenty of washing products provided.
There were a few issues with the bathroom though. The door is made of opaque glass, so if someone uses the bathroom at night it is like the main light has been turned on in the main room.
The floor hadn't been cleaned in our bathroom when we arrived. My wife stood on broken glass in there and there was also a lot of hairs on the floor. To the hotels credit, when i pointed this out they did offer us another room.
The other reviews on here that mention the green light on the air-con units are correct. it is VERY bright, and actually kept me awake for quite a while on the first night. I would strongly suggest you take some black tape with you :)
There was no noise from the corridor at all despite our floor being quiet busy. We had 3 nights of undisturbed sleep (after the air-con alterations).
breakfast was basic but very acceptable considering its free. A small choice of cereal, fruit and pastries. Sausage, bacon, beans, scrambled egg and fried potato. Toast with a wide choice of spreads. choice of teas, coffee and fruit juices.
During our visit it was all very well stocked and was easy to get to, but i can see that if it was busier it wouldn't have been quite so easy.
All in all an excellent hotel, with above average rooms, run by friendly and helpful staff.
we will return
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hampton by Hilton Newport/East is proud to be the first newly built brand hotel providing the perfect location for a visit to South Wales close to Junction 23a of the M4 [Opened September 2010]. Start the day off while enjoying a relaxing hot & cold breakfast in our dining area or in our work zone with our free Wi-Fi or even back to your room for a high speed internet connection. With a focus on unfussy service & great facilities this contemporary hotel is only a 25 minute drive to Cardiff. With an enviable location close to the M4, Newport, Bristol & Cardiff the Hampton by Hilton Newport East hotel puts you near it all. We’re close to Cardiff City with Cardiff Castle, Millennium Stadium & Cardiff also Bristol Hippodrome. Newport train station is 8 miles away; Bristol airport and Cardiff airport are only 34 miles & 26 miles respectively. Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure the Hampton by Hilton Newport East hotel puts South Wales and Southwest England at your doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hampton by Hilton Newport East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton By Hilton Newport East Hotel Magor
- Hampton By Hilton Newport East Magor, Wales