“surprisingly good”

Hampton by Hilton Newport East
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Magor
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We have stayed in other budget hotels in the Cardiff / Newport area before, which, to be honest i checked availability for before finding this hotel. As we booked fairly late they were all in the £80 range, so when i found this hotel at just over £40 with breakfast for 2 included i gave it a go.

On arrival the lady on reception was very nice and booked us in very quickly. we were on the 4th floor despite the hotel being pretty quiet. This did give brilliant views back over the river though.

The room was amazingly well equipped for the price. A sofa with footstool, a large bed and a desk area (with free wired broadband, although a very short wire that meant you could only use your computer at the desk).
There was even a clock radio on the bedside table. The addition of plug sockets beside the bed was also a good addition. it might just be me but i found it very handy to be able to charge my phone on the bedside table, instead of the other side of the room on the desk.

The bathroom was very well fitted, with a large walk in shower and plenty of washing products provided.
There were a few issues with the bathroom though. The door is made of opaque glass, so if someone uses the bathroom at night it is like the main light has been turned on in the main room.
The floor hadn't been cleaned in our bathroom when we arrived. My wife stood on broken glass in there and there was also a lot of hairs on the floor. To the hotels credit, when i pointed this out they did offer us another room.

The other reviews on here that mention the green light on the air-con units are correct. it is VERY bright, and actually kept me awake for quite a while on the first night. I would strongly suggest you take some black tape with you :)

There was no noise from the corridor at all despite our floor being quiet busy. We had 3 nights of undisturbed sleep (after the air-con alterations).

breakfast was basic but very acceptable considering its free. A small choice of cereal, fruit and pastries. Sausage, bacon, beans, scrambled egg and fried potato. Toast with a wide choice of spreads. choice of teas, coffee and fruit juices.
During our visit it was all very well stocked and was easy to get to, but i can see that if it was busier it wouldn't have been quite so easy.

All in all an excellent hotel, with above average rooms, run by friendly and helpful staff.

we will return

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ZapBeb

Reviewed October 13, 2011

Comfortable clean rooms with modern interior and a nice gym area.
Main negative is the big flies in the room - which seem to be coming from the air conditioning?! There were also a lot of dead flies on the stairs. Restaurant service was slow, waited 1 hr for a pizza, but we were given a free desert as an apology.
Ideal hotel for business people.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2011

First impression was a bit budget and low rent but it has to be said, the room was great. Lovely spacious double shower and all very clean and modern. Lots of plus points to this hotel - great breakfast area, nice bar area, little library with a few books to choose from for bedtime reading material, great price, free internet connection and great location. 2 negatives for me however were, the room was filled with flies, which was quite disgusting. I got rid of all of them, only to find that more had appeared the next day. Don't know where from, as there is no window for them to come in via. The other is, I was served a meat lasagne, when I'd asked for a veggie one. Only realised when I'd had a forkful. I didn't have to pay for the meal but not great service.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
roger_goldsworthy, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Newport East, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Thank you for your very helpful feedback.
As a new Hotel I am very grateful for any information that can help us improve everything we do.
Hampton by Hilton is a new brand to the UK and we are passionate in ensuring we give the all our guests the most friendly welcome we can.
One of the challenges we have had over the last week came in the form of cluster flies which I have never experienced before.
We have taken all possible actions that have been recommended to us and this has sorted out what was not a good experience, I'm so sorry it affected the comfort of your stay.
Please visit us again soon when I can assure you of a great Hampton welcome.
Thank you once again for your comments.
Regards
Roger Goldsworthy

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Having been used to Hampton Inns in the US, my expectations were fairly low. But, I was very impressed. The room was bright, modern and very clean. Breakfast was great and it felt like a much better hotel that your typical Hampton Inn.
I regularly stop over in the Newport area to break up the drive between West Wales and the South Eat and would definitely stay here again, certainly in preference to the Hilton Newport. Fantastic value for money and a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I found an excellent rate for £44 per night, significantly cheaper than most Cardiff hotels. There ample free parking and a complimentary breakfast.

The hotel is quite new, and contemporary. The rooms were spacious, I was let down by the lack of free wifi in the rooms. I did try to use this in the lobby but it wasn't working particularly well.

The staff were really friendly, with giving ideas and suggestions. The first morning the breakfast experience was really chaotic. I was actually ignored at least twice when I asked staff of they had some bread for toast. There was little of anything left, and there seemed to be a lack of coordination in replenishing items.

The second morning, the breakfast was much calmer and there was an ample choice of hot items, as well as cereal and toast. It was also easy to find a place to sit and enjoy the breakfast experience a bit more than previously.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Couldn't fault it, especially for the price given the high standard of the room and an excellent breakfast, free wired internet, free parking and the gym all included. Ok, like other posters, I would have preferred a 'normal' bathroom door, and a softer bed (my friend liked the hard bed so it's a case of personal preference) but neither was a big deal to me. Had we stayed in a similar hotel in Cardiff it would have cost 2-3 times as much and wouldn't have included parking, wi-fi etc, and it only takes 30 mins to drive into Cardiff from the hotel, so as long as you drive I'd most certainly recommend it as a great place to stay. Indeed, my 'worry' now is that they'll increase their room rates :-(

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Good location off the M4 close to Cardiff, and many visitor attractions. Rooms are comfortable, and clean with nice new bathrooms, and free internet (not wifi). The hotel offers a wide variety in the free breakfast.

The only complaint we had was that the bathroom closet share a common door - which would be fine, except that the door and the sides of the closet are opaque glass, which makes it very hard to sleep for anyone if their partner gets up in the middle of the night and switches on the light - It illuminates the entire room. Whoever designed this, did not try out the room with a partner.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magor
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#8 of 18 in Newport
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone

Been to Hampton by Hilton Newport East? Share your experiences!