“Outstanding”

Proper Gander
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Tywyn
Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a restaurant that prides itself in sourcing and serving all that is good about Welsh food. Welsh lamb, beef, pork, sea bass, sea bream, lobster and crab. Welsh cheeses and beers from a local micro brewery. We also have an extensive vegetarian menu.
Reviewed August 7, 2014

After reading the excellent reviews we were eager to try it out! We were not disappointed, the meal was lovely, freshly caught lobster and crab that could not be faulted! The staff were friendly, managing to fit us in without a reservation on a busy evening. We will definitely be visiting again when we are next in tywyn!

1  Thank Clare D

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We wanted somewhere special to eat for our joint celebratory meal for both our wedding anniversary and hubby's steam train driving experience on the Talyllyn Railway. Although Trip Advisor advocated the Salt Marsh Kitchen as No 1 in their opinion, we read all the excellent reviews and looked at the impressive photos of the Proper Gander before making the booking.
As soon as we set foot in the ground floor bar area, we received a very warm welcome by both the proprietors. Having our pre dinner drinks whilst seated on sets of drums was a first but it added to the ambience.
The restaurant area itself is on the 1st floor and as soon as we were seated at our reserved table complete with a proper tablecloth and napkins, we were tempted by the specials board. The locally caught, fresh that morning, seabass appealed to me and although I was pre-warned, even without its head, it was the biggest seabass I had ever had set before me and despite all my efforts, it defeated me and I had to ask for a doggy bag.
Hubby had the equally delicious yet more sensible beef cobbler, both meals being washed down with a very agreeable house rose wine and a complimentary bottle of water. We were so impressed by the meals, the decor and the attentive staff that we booked again for our last night in Twywn.
We were not disappointed, this time we both had succulent steaks, one rump, one sirloin followed by hubby having an extremely large slice of strawberry cheesecake with a pot of cream. I was torn between the layered fruit flan and the bread & butter pudding with Welsh honey & lemon marmelade which came both a pot of cream and a pot of hot custard. I succumbed to the latter and WOW!!, it was indescribably the best bread & butter pudding I had ever tasted.
In our humble opinion, the Proper Gander should be in the No 1 slot as it is far superior in every way to the current title holder which we have also reviewed.

2  Thank sa_grantwilkie
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our first time visit to this recently opened bar and restaurant,what a surprise! The hosts were great ,the food which consisted of local produce was wonderful.But beware word has been getting out and the evenings are always busy. Tywyn has a hidden gem so to get the best of the area book early.

1  Thank Nigel P
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

I went with the family for a Sunday lunch and was pleased to see Sea Bass on the menu. The meal was really tasty and well cooked and the service was excellent and friendly.
I would recommend to anyone visiting Tywyn or any locals looking for a place to eat.

1  Thank chris2041
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We were wandering along a deserted High Street Tywyn one evening in the hope, rather than expectation, of finding a decent restaurant. We looked through the window of Proper Gander, not entirely convinced by the name, but could only see a bar. A young lady then asked us if we would like a meal, and invited us to go upstairs (don’t take these words out of context!). So off we went, with slight hesitation – and found ourselves in a delightful restaurant. My steak was excellent, and my wife was very pleased with her vegetarian choice. Everything was freshly prepared, desserts (sorry, I mean ‘puddings’ – it was nice to hear this word from the waitress) were delicious, and a bottle of chilled water was provided free. Our meal was excellent value for money. Service was efficient and sensible, and the whole place had a pleasant atmosphere (music was a bit loud, I thought, but no one else seemed bothered about that so I said nothing). We would highly recommend this restaurant to visitors.

1  Thank DesRB