“By far the best steam railway I have been on.”
Review of Talyllyn Railway

Talyllyn Railway
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Tywyn
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Talyllyn Railway is a historic narrow gauge steam railway, being the Worlds First preserved Railway!. Our track runs for 7.25miles from Tywyn to Abergynolwyn and Nant Gwernol through unspoilt Snowdonia. Our station at Tywyn is also home to the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Railway Shop and King's Licensed Cafe & Bistro. The line passes the delightful Dolgoch Falls and there are excellent forest walks at Nant Gwernol. We offer a great day out for all the family, allow 4 hours for a round trip, visit to the museum and something to eat!. Groups receive a discount when booked in advance.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This narrow gauge steam railway runs through unspoilt countryside and the majority of staff are volunteers. All of the staff we came into contact with were very knowledgeable and friendly. We paid around £45 for a family of 5. The train travelled about 8 miles in each direction from Twyn Wharf to Nant Gwernol and for about 2.5 hours. I found this extremely good value and I would highly recommend visiting this attraction.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"mid wales"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just back from another fantastic week in the Tywyn area - and the Talyllyn Railway once again was the highlight of our week. Our two boys (aged 8 & 4) love travelling on the trains, and were really excited by the "Duncan Day" event - with free shuttle trains, craft activities, treasure hunt and storytelling, but even on the "normal" days, the character of the railway, the friendliness of the (mostly volunteer) staff and the fabulous scenery make this railway a "must visit". Having visited several other narrow guage railways in Wales this holiday, the Talyllyn really stands out head and shoulders above the reat, and all four of us are already looking forward to when we can go back again!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I visited the Talyllyn on the 18th August 2013 with our granddaughter. A fabulous place to visit! Everyone is very friendly and could not do enough for us. Without a doubt the best Narrow Gauge railway there is with a top rate museum. The restaurant was busy but we managed to get seats and had a really nice lunch.

I don’t like to complain but there is one thing I feel I need to point out. I was very disappointed with the information given on fares. I assumed I had to pay the basic fare as I can not Gift Aid. This meant I missed out on the 15% money off voucher. I later found out after chatting to some other passengers that I could have donated my fare (same as gift aid) and I would have received the voucher. I feel a bit cheated as it is almost as though they did not want us to know that. The information given is very confusing - There were no signs making this clear that Gift Aid and Donation are the same thing. There was certainly nothing telling me that I could have had the money off voucher even though I could not gift aid.

Word of Warning – If you are going there either gift aid or donate your fare – It will cost you less.

1  Thank George L
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very pretty and charming railway with lovely scenery. Carriages are comfortable. We stopped at Dolgoch to walk to the waterfall so got some good photos of the train from the slope up there. Staff were very friendly.