“A terrible place”
Review of Corbett Arms Hotel

Corbett Arms Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tywyn
Corbett Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tywyn
Reviewed January 8, 2013

From the moment you walk in you want to walk out! It it has shocking smell, the decour is dated (but not in a good way) and you cant even concider playing on the pool table!!! I would rather drink a can of carling than get pint from the pump in this place!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank David P

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Never struck me as correct vocation for the hosts.
Premises smell damp, bar mats always dripping and stinking of stale beer (like vinegar).
Dirty, nose picking on bar duty despite being told about it. Just not really interested in running the establishment as a viable business at all. Always short of stock,with the excuse 'it will be in tomorrow', or on next delivery lorry.
Dissappeared from Tywyn in early October,with no prior notification to anybody of their plans.
This building should be the flagship of the town but now lies empty and apparently abandoned.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank Lolevans
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My colleagues and I make a point of returning to the Corbett every year because (a) accommodation is always available at short notice (b) the rooms are large, clean and comfortable and (c) over the many years we have stayed there we have come to relish the anticipation of discovering whether the Corbett Arms can survive yet another year of seemingly remorseless degradation.

The owner, who we understand made his fortune in the record industry, is always pleasant and willing to talk about his hopes for the future (he lost his wife last year) even if the prospect of the hotel's revival looks a distant prospect.

Whilst not endorsing his inability to maintain the standards of the past, managing an enormous white elephant like the Corbett Arms on what are becoming presumably very limited funds probably deserves sympathy rather than constant vilification and virtual abuse his efforts seem to engender.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank Peter B
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We visit this part of the world every year and love popping into the Corbett for a pint.
It just gets weirder and weirder. Get yourself a good spot at the bar and enjoy the banter with the owner (? I assume he is) and his son. Stick to the ale as I don't think there's much else. To be fair I feel they have been saddled with this once great Tywyn institution and now don't really know what to do with it. It's more about the lifestyle than the money!? We've never actually stayed or sampled the food, other than the odd packet of bacon fries, which have always been in date , well presented and the perfect accompaniment to our pint. Often wished we could stay longer as there is always a lot to learn about the hotel itself and the local area from the owner. It's a shame the old guy at the bar has now moved as he was great value too. When next in tywyn don't just dismiss it on the basis of all the reviews, call in and judge for yourself. We love it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bobby H
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Having recently spend a few days as a guest at the 'Corbett Arms Hotel' in Tywyn, Wales, I found in it a pleasantly comfortable relaxed ambience, which is what I was looking for. If you are looking for somewhere peaceful to relax for a break, I would recommend you pay this establishment a visit if this is the kind of holiday you prefer.
I found the proprietor and his son to be very polite and helpful. The hotel retains a definate Victorian charm about the place, built when hotels had this in mind. This is the impression I had when I entered the foyer and continued to have for the duration of my stay. It suited me and I would suggest other visitors would have the same impression.

Room Tip: I was given the bridal suite so I can't complain.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Bill S
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I am a local to the area. this place is known as being the place to avoid.
If a sunday lunch is what you want there are other places in the area that offer far superior quality and service than this ship wreck of an establishment.
Good places to eat in Tywyn are walkers on the highstreet, The white hall just opposite the Corbett although it is a pub the food is quite good. Although if you are willing to pre-book the Railway in Abergynolwyn has very good food (located about 6 miles from tywyn.)
The Dolgoch falls hotel is like the Hilton compared to this place.
Best avoided unless you like a very strange hotel...
i visited this hotel in its hayday and it was very nice, but since the new owner have taken over it has taken a dive, to the point where i am surprised that the place is still open even with the lack of customers.
Strange!

This is not a true representation of Tywyn. This is a dump.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
17  Thank joe b
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I stayed here for one night as this was the only hotel near my job at the time. It is very dark inside. Also there was no tolist roll in my room and the hotel smelt like cats.
When i went to leave i had to wait an hour for someone to open the front desk and the door.
never again...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
27  Thank 186298Albi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tywyn
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
No photo provided
Dolgoch Holiday Homes
#1 of 3 in Tywyn
Leahurst Bed & Breakfast

Been to Corbett Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!