“Make Reservations”

Manorhaus Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 45 Restaurants in Ruthin
Cuisines: European, British, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were not able to eat here because we lacked reservations and they were not taking walk-ins. This is not a complaint, but I wish the other reviews had made this clear so we could have planned accordingly. (I recognizer this note may get scotched since I had no firsthand experience with dining here, but I feel it is important for travelers to know they must call in advance for reservations.)

1  Thank Ralph S

Reviewed June 15, 2014

In my opinion the Manorhaus is the best restaurant I have ever had the pleasure of going to. The wine list is always good, and the cocktails are amazing, my favourite is the mijito. The food is always cooked to perfection, it always has a wonderful relaxed atmosphere, that I have not really experienced in any other restaurant so far. The service by the staff is always brilliant, and very welcoming. So if your looking for all this in a place to experience fine dining, this is the place for you.

1  Thank EVEVANS_12
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have been to this restaurant several times and always had an extremely good meal. This time however, I would say it was OK, nothing more or less. We travel out of our way to get there and quite honestly we probably won't be returning or recommending it for a while. The chicken canapes were completely flavourless, the arancini balls slightly better but could still do with more flavour. The breads were heavy, but our starters were good although again there was a lack of seasoning. The main course of duck was asked for pink which unfortunately it wasn't, and again a distinct lack of seasoning, particularly in the pea puree, but in contrast the cheese in the potatoes overpowered the other delicate ingredients. Apparently the chef was on his own in the kitchen (on a Saturday night!), and so there was quite a delay getting the food out although apologies were offered for this. I really hope they up their game again as it used to be a favourite dining place of ours.

gavinvharris, Owner at Manorhaus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Thank you for your review and am sorry that your experience with us this time was just OK, when previous visits you suggest were better and we were a favourite dining place of yours.

This is your first visit since we have introduced the canapés complimentary before the meal, so I am sorry you felt they and your main course were under flavoured. We try and balance the level of seasoning for taste, but obviously it does vary for personal preferences, and its easier for a customer to add a little more at the table rather than being unable to adjust a dish which is thought too salty. Our chef has taken comments on board and has already made some adjustments.

The chef was on his own that Saturday as the second chef was on leave (even chefs occasionally like a weekend off), and although we restricted covers to maintain pace and standards, unfortunately a few tables arrived together which increased pressure at a particular time, resulting in a short delay for a couple of tables.

I hope we can entice you back to appreciate that we are not going off the boil as we continue to develop our menu and offer (e.g. complimentary canapés, fish dishes that can be as a starter or main course, etc) and that you enjoy an evening with us that matches your previous highly regarded evenings at manorhaus.

Its a shame that after those occasions you didn't share your experience through Tripadvisor, as across all your visits to manorhaus your reviews might have offered a more balanced reflection of your experience and high expectations overall.

I hope we can welcome you again.

Many thanks

Gavin Harris

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed, my husband and I at the hotel for two nights. The first night we had our dinner out, the second one we decided to try the restaurant...and what a pleasant surprise. We regretted wasting the brilliant experience the first night. The service was really exclusive by offering a unique personal attention and care. The atmosphere was so wondeful and the food was the best of the best. Nothing can be faulted.All in all, we felt it is worthy every single penny.There is no doubt that we will repeat the experience and highly recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We have eaten at this restaurant many times over the years and can honestly say it only improves every visit. Chris and Gavin are amzing hosts and the staff are always friendly and professional ensuring a lovely dining experience.
The restaurant is also an art gallery with a collection of art on display. The atmosphere is relaxed and informal.
Now the important bit FOOD!! My most recent visit was to celebrate a birthday. You order in the bar and when the starters are ready you are taken through to the restaurant and served freshly baked bread rolls, everyone in the party of 4 had the most delicious sea bass starter which you could also have as a main course which is a great option to have.
The mains were just as delicious and always presented beautifully. you have the option to have 2 or 3 courses and I always find room for dessert.

if you want to have a great value foodie dining experience I can recommend the Manorhaus.