“Lovely service and outstanding food”
Review of Manorhaus Ruthin

Manorhaus Ruthin
Ranked #4 of 15 Ruthin B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Lovely service and outstanding food”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Just returned from a lovely relaxing weekend - an excellent place to stay, lots of original art all over the place, great room, really clean and a relaxed, open feel to the whole place. Our main day was Saturday, and we explored the small town in the morning (a visit to the craft centre is a must) and stayed in the hotel in the afternoon - the weather was terrible, but the gym and sauna made up for it. We had also booked the private cinema for the evening, which was a fantastic experience. Other reviewers have commented on the food and I must add that it is fantastic - I don't think I've ever had meals where so much attention has been paid to the quality and taste. As a vegetarian, I especially appreciated the effort put in as veggie dishes are usually an after-thought. Overall, a really enjoyable weekend - thank you!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jaynie111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Hitchin, Herts
Reviewed January 9, 2011

i am a repeat visitor to manorhaus and have never been disappointed. This trip i particularly loved the (always changing) artwork - could have sat and looked at it for ages. Menu varied, beautifully cooked and presented and great vegetarian options, service discreet and helpful, room spotless with wonderful thick duvet and white white white everything (sheets/towels), just as it should be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had to go to Ruthin for 2 nights on very short notice, and this place was showing up at the top of the list on TripAdvisor, with very positive reviews, and the price was in my business budget. Being unable to book online for the same day, I rang them: I was dealt with pleasantly and courteously, and was offered a choice of rooms, and in fact got a nice discount on a slightly better room! (Well, it IS January, and things are a bit quiet this time of year!).

I explained that I was about to start driving there, and would be arriving there late in the evening, so was told to just park outside to unload. I did that, and after unloading my bags for me, I was told where I could park my car (only about 3 minutes walk away, and it turned out to be about 50 yards from where I would be working for the 2 days!)

I wasn't hungry when I got there, so not wanting a full meal, asked if there was any chance of something light, like an omlette. A quick word with the chef, and 10 or 15 minutes later I was eating an absolutely deliciously light bacon and cheese omlette!

The bedroom itself was very acceptable, comparable to a good 4-star hotel: the decor was fresh and pleasant, and a good bathroom with shower (loads of hot water and plenty of pressure!). The bed was deceptively comfortable: the "designer" bedframe came with a fairly "average" mattress, but it was covered in a very comfortable "mattress topper" and good quality linen, which gave me a better than average sleep, compared to other hotels I've stayed at.

Yes, the hotel is a "boutique hotel" which means that there's loads of original paintings, and the rooms are "individual"... but to be honest, that didn't really appeal, I was there on business, and just wanted a good clean room, which I got.

My room, Oriel 2, faced the main road, and despite having my window slightly open, there were few cars at night, and noise wasn't an issue. If I closed the window, the secondary glazing eliminated all noise.

There were a couple of minor "rough edges": the bathroom heated towel rail is a bit loose, and the roller blinds on the window a bit tight. My biggest gripe was that the desk / dressing table was rather small: whilst I managed to use my laptop PC and mouse, there wasn't much space for anything else. But the free WiFi worked excellently!

Whilst I didn't eat there in the evening (apart from the omlette), I did have 2 very pleasant breakfasts. In terms of content, the choice is what I would expect to see at a 4-star hotel: cereals, juices, and a very good selection of cooked-to-order food. I had some lovely bacon, fried egg and mushrooms!

Rumour has it that there is also a gym and a library, but I wasn't particularly interested in either, so didn't get around to visiting them!

So, I guess the big question is: would I stay there again? The answer is most certainly I would: the guys who own & run the place are very pleasant and helpful, and the whole place is clean and fresh and very tastefully presented.

This is how hotels are SUPPOSED to be. Well done guys!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank paul_blitz
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 27, 2010

lovely small boutique hotel in charming welsh town - with an excellent restaurant in house.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hermannhaver
Gloucestershire
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The Manorhaus hotel is a place that can be proud of it's food, Our late arrival on a Friday night meant we didn't dine the first night so our first experience of the food was the sublime cooked to order Eggs Benedict for breakfast, served in the restaurant conservatory.

Evening meal from the locally sourced menu was brilliant. Starters of scallops and mains of chicken were excellent. As we were staying, the option to take dessert in the basement cinema room and watch a movie of our choice was really good.

Reasonable rooms ensured reasonable nights sleep, slightly disturbed by on street noise from the locals coming from the pubs in the town. Some furnishing and decoration is in need of renewal / update in places.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Devon, UK
Reviewed October 20, 2010

This was our second stay at the Manorhaus and it was just as good as we remembered. An old building which has been modernised in a way which retains the character but provides all the modern comforts one could wish for. And the food is marvellous. We were glad to spend more than one night so that we could sample the range of the menu - choosing just one dish would be impossible! Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I've stayed at Manorhaus on a number of occasions and it never ceases to delight me. It's immaculate, beautiful and the chaps who run it are delightful (as are the felines who caused amusement to those of us dining as they cavorted on the patio).I've stayed in three or four of the rooms and they are all lovely. I work a lot in North Wales, and I would highly recommend this hotel, particularly as a woman travelling on my own. I always feel safe, relaxed and well cared for at Manorhaus. The Library is a particular gem, and the food always delicious.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
Ruthin Castle Hotel
Manorhaus Llangollen
#6 of 26 in Llangollen
Lyons Woodlands Hall Hotel
The Old Rectory Bed & Breakfast

Been to Manorhaus Ruthin? Share your experiences!