“E for effort”
Review of Manorhaus Ruthin

Manorhaus Ruthin
Ranked #5 of 15 Ruthin B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Really looked forward to our 2 day stay end June as part of a small circuit of Wales. It's an interesting idea to decorate rooms around an art theme, and though ours was a bit dark,it was well done with several small luxury touches, as promised. There was, however, a lack of warmth from the owner/manager,strangely at odds with the cozy atmosphere, and so we decided not to eat in at night. Highly recommend Inn on the Hill, just a few minutes walk, plenty of warmth and very good food. Breakfast was fine, hot food cooked to order nicely, if a bit skimpy, and I did not enjoy having to request a second cup of coffee. The conservatory dining room is airy and gracious but would benefit if exterior plantings were good and well-tended.
Location is terrific, in the heart of a truly elegant little town, and though some of the rooms front the main street, noise wasn't a problem (though windows on this side are grubby and need attention) Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but must give much credit to the town itself, and to the people in it, simply a pleasure to be there.

Room Tip: If stairs are no problem, go for the high ones at the back
2  Thank lowrollerUK

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay in lovely Ruthin.....the Manorhaus is in an ideal location to explore the area and Gavin couldn't have done more for us,the welcome and service were great. The room was comfortable, modern and spacious and had everything you could need. Some areas could have done with a dust and polish but Gavin did explain he is having some staffing issues and he worked so hard to look after us serving from breakfast through to evening drinks. Thank you

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Manorhaus. We were on a KGB deal and it was excellent value for money. We arrived after 6pm so were able to park outside and unload our luggage and were then given a pass to the car park which also gives you free parking elsewhere. Gavin one of the owners was there all the time and was extremely pleasant and helpful. Our room was good and the bed was extremely comfortable. The linen and towels were of exceptional quality., No view from the room but we weren t in it long enough for that to matter. Didn t eat there at night but were told the food was excellent. The breakfast was certainly of a very good standard and freshly prepared to order for you. We would definitely return and will be doing so soon

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arrived for a 2 night say benefit of KGB voucher. Had paid additional £50 to upgrade room and selected room 8 only to be told we were in room 7 (appears I'm not alone in having this problem). Was then advised we could stay in room 8 for 1st night then have to change to 7. My wife and I didn't see the benefit so decided to stick to 7, but why accept the booking for a particular room then change? Room itself was fine, kettle didn't work so I swapped it with room 8. Guests go on about the bedding, towels and other features of the Manorhaus which are not critical to us. We have stayed at many hotels and B&Bs and providing everything clean the quality of a towel isn't important! What is important is the welcome and food. We ate in the restaurant on the 1st night and have to compliment the chef, the food was terrific. Unfortunately we were the only diners so there was a complete lack of atmosphere,pity. Perhaps a slightly cheaper menu might encourage more residents to eat in,perhaps Sunday to Thursday offer a better deal for residents. Comment has been made before concerning lack of staff, not so much a problem for us but somewhat felt a lack of warmth when we did see them especially st breakfast. With breakfast 1st morning we had one tea bag in pot with hot water in another, 2nd morning just the tea pot. Forgive me but in other places we've stayed at it has been common to be asked if you want more tea and/or toast, not at the Manorhaus you had to ask. So overall great evening meal lack of atmosphere, breakfast OK but could be improved. I would have been disappointed if I had paid full room rate.

2  Thank 415Peter1956
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We recently stayed at the Manorhaus in Ruthin. This place is a little gem, The staff were tremendous and the food outstanding. Many thanks to Dianna(who never seems to stop working, worth her weight in gold) who helped made our stay most memorable who also is packed with all the information you need, she is like a mini tourist information centre. Nothing was a problem to her. Also thanks to Siobhan who worked endlessly making sure all was fine. And last but not least, Eleri the chef who's food was superb, her food was to die for,the tastes and presentation were wonderful.Well done. The mini cinema and the mini steam and sauna room are a must. Thanks for making our anniversary one to remember.
Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but if you want a hillside view, upgrade to the upper floor.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This review is pretty much the story of a very bad start to a one night stay - and maybe not quite enough time to recover ...

I like hotels which give you the option of choosing a particular room - and so I was pleased to be able to choose one on the top floor with a view - in this case, Room 7.
I would have omitted the following fact fact from most reviews - as it is not really a reflection on the hotel - but it becomes relevant later, so bear with me: on arrival, there was a pile of pale vomit to negotiate just inside the hotel gateway ...

When I left the case at reception to pick up a parking permit for the municipal car park just down the road (there are no parking facilities at the hotel) the permit I was given indicated Room 5. At this point I said that: "I think that we are in Room 7?" to be told, in a firm and professional manner: "we have you down for Room 5." When I answered that I was sure that my wife had just told me 7: "no, we have always had you down for Room 5."
At this point I began to doubt myself, so I went off to park and, of course, checked the email which confirmed Room 7. On our return, I told the receptionist that it definitely was Room 7 that we had booked, to be told in the same confident, professional, assertive manner: "we have upgraded you - you won't be disappointed."

Room 5 was nice enough, if a little dark and cold in feeling but, worst of all from my point of view, overlooked the main road at the front of the hotel. We sat down, feeling rather deflated, and tried to relax. This was harder than I would have hoped. I did not like the bathroom, being of the "wet room" style in which paddling to the toilet is a necessity after having used the shower. I washed my face with a facecloth with 4 ragged edges, sat on the bed next to a pale bedside rug with spots of tea or something on it, listened to the swoosh of passing cars, looked out of the window ... down to the gate where the unfortunate greeting was still there, suggesting the possibility of other noises from the street below.

Enough was enough. At this point I called reception and made it clear (in what I hope was as calm and pleasant a manner as I could manage) that I was not happy in this room, and, given that it was not what we had booked, I wondered what the hotel would be able to do about it?
Somewhat to my surprise, I was told at this point that if we moved right away, Room 7 was still available (I gathered that other guests would be put in 5 then moved in the next night.) It seemed that we had been bounced for some other guests who wanted the same room for two nights. Whilst I can understand the temptation to do this, I think that to do so in a way which firstly suggests that you are mistaken in saying that you have booked a certain room and then treats you like an idiot by suggesting that you are being treated favourably - with no word of apology or explanation at that time - is not acceptable.

So - what of Room 7? Much better in pretty much every way, I am pleased to report. Towards the rear of the hotel at the top - hills in the distance, bright, warm decor, interesting modern art. Pleasant to be in. But the whole experience of having to ask three times for we had booked left us feeling rather deflated. And even a bit guilty on behalf the other people who were being put in the the room we had just vacated - we hoped we wouldn't be sitting next to them in the dining room!

The food was good. The service was a bit stretched at times when the restaurant became busy, but the meal was tasty and mostly well done. Breakfast was good, too.

But staying in a hotel is about so much more than the pictures you put on the walls and the artful arrangement of food on a plate. If you are not looked after as a guest, all of that can seem a bit shallow.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Newly retired we have been doing lots of hotel breaks all over the UK. This has to rate as one of the best. Lovely breakfast, exceptionally comfy beds in stylish rooms. We thought we would be disturbed by traffic at night but no, all traffic ceased. We went on a mammoth walk along Offas Dyke which has breathtaking views, short drive takes you there. We enjoyed the local pubs especially the Morning Star which gets the late afternoon sun and serves gorgeous tapas and decent beer.
Highly recommended. The countryside around there is so beautiful. We managed to park at the back of the hotel for one night but used the usual car park with the permit with no problems the next day.

Room Tip: We were in oriel 2 I think, facing the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
Castle Hotel
#6 of 26 in Llangollen
The Old Rectory Bed & Breakfast
Plas Efenechtyd Cottage B&B
Lyons Woodlands Hall Hotel

Been to Manorhaus Ruthin? Share your experiences!