“Fantastic”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ruthin
shropshire
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My daughter visited Ruthin Castle Hotel as a surprise for her 21st birthday and she and her boyfriend also got engaged whilst there, it was fantastic. The whole place was beautiful and the staff we wonderful. When they arrived they were shown to their room and greeted by a birthday card from the staff and a bottle of wine. The food was out of this world and the portions were plenty. After dinner the staff from the restaurant went to the room with chocolate brownies, white chocolate buttons and a bottle of champagne for my daughters birthday, it was a lovely way to end a lovely evening. Couldn't fault the whole experience. 100% recommend!

Room Tip: Stayed in a standard room and it was beautiful. comfortable beds, free standing bath, shower and won...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ruthin_Castle, Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you ridgie99 for sharing your daughters and now fiancées stay with us. It's great to hear that the Castle played such an important part in their stay, birthday celebrations and engagement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Manchester
Reviewed January 4, 2014

A 2 night Living Social experience, which ticked all the boxes. On arrival we explored the village (park at the hotel and take the short convenient walk) which is bursting with history and stories, a must for all ages. The hotel staff are friendly and professional (well done) . Dinner at the hotel is wonderful (do have the ostrich), afternoon tea is certainly good value and delicious. The hotel, which is a fabulously preserved castle, is warm and inviting and the architecture and grounds are wondrous. I felt we covered a lot throughout our stay but left feeling we could still enjoy more.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a night at the beautiful Ruthin hotel. We had a voucher deal and wow was it value for money. Reception staff very polite and friendly and we were greeted with a glass of mulled wine. We had the afternoon tea in the bar area which was delicious and plentiful. Bar staff again very helpful. Our room was spotless. It had everything you needed and a vrry comfy bed. One of my highlights was the size of the bathroom with a rolled top bath. Heaven. We also had an evening meal as part of our deal. The menu was delicious and the supplements for certain meals were clearly labelled. We had the steak and it was fantastic. Breakfast was equally good. You get a buffet continental style breakfast included or you can upgrade to different items on the menu. I can not understand any negative comments I have seen on here to us it was a magical wonderful friendly experience and we will definitely be going back

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I booked a 1 night stay for myself, my husband and our daughter directly with the hotel. Eluned could not have been more helpful in finding us the right room. Our daughter has physical and learning difficulties and needed to not have any stairs or too far to walk. She sent me pictures and I decided on the De Grey Suite as it had turret like windows, perfect for a girl who wants to be a princess. I hadn't told either of them where we were going and it was a lovely surprise for them and a fantastic after Christmas break for us. We walked into Ruthin to eat as the restaurant times didn't suit us but it wasn't a problem. We had a lovely walk round the grounds and the suite was amazing - clean, well presented, plenty of space and a wonderful roll top bath in the room itself. All 3 of us, especially Faye had such a lovely time, perfect place, amazing breakfast, friendly and helpful staff....thank you all.

• Stayed January 2014
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Second visit, first was a hotel stay. This time was just for afternoon tea which was a gift. On arrival had to wait for ages as only front of house worker was checking someone else in. Then we were referred to the bar,where we waited again as there was a wedding on. Was a little embarrassing to be honest as it almost felt like we were gatecrashing. Finally, we were moved again to another larger room, normally used for breakfast, I think. Only one other couple there and it felt quite soulless. All of this was really unfortunate as the actual tea was amazing. A great variety and perfectly presented. Just a slight aside that the tea was served but had to wait a minute or so for milk. Why couldn't it be served together? Didn't have a choice of teas either. All in all we left and spent much of the journey home discussing our frustrations for the second time. This place could be so good but seemed to us that they were trying to cater to too much at the same time.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you Mooruk for taking the time give us your feedback about our afternoon tea experience. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our service standards and also the products we offer. We set ourselves a very high standard and it saddens us when a guest does not feel they have received this.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed her Wednesday 1st January 2014 Satff were friendly especially the Managers in Berties evening meal was a let down as we chose the belly pork and there was only a small amount of meat mainly fat :( wished I had ordered the steak instead. We had room 130 very large nice to have a roll top bath in the actual room plus a wet room bathroom seperate nice touch didnt like the wardrobe no hangers and very hard to open I know it is old to be in keeping with the castle but this needs to be improved on also room was a bit tatty needed new paint work but overall very nice bed was huge! quilt excellent and very thick so kept you very warm. The one thing about this room is because it is right by the doors to the spa it is noisey as people kept banging them whilst walking through and most of the night so didnt sleep well why cant people respect that you are asleep ! Overall I would recommend a stay we had a special offer but I would not pay the prices they charge if we had paid full price

Room Tip: Do not have room 130 if you like your sleep!
2 Thank purple222purple
Thank you purple222purple for taking the time to add your experience at the Castle to Tripadvisor. The wardrobe in the room you stayed is indeed an antique and further to your point, maintenance have now looked at how user friendly it is. The rooms are currently in a painting program after a very busy year. We are also looking into noise reduction measures for 130 so that everyone enjoys a good nights sleep. We look forwards to seeing you again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is my second visit to Ruthin castle, one year apart and I have mixed feelings on it.

My partner and I had decided to have our wedding at Ruthin, using the old part of the castle for a medieval themed wedding. After meeting Russell, the wedding co-ordinator we were all systems go for a wedding. A few months later a new wedding co-ordinator came on board, we received a call out of the blue to say that they had forgotten to mention an exclusivity fee so ontop of our agreed fee they wanted an extra £15k paid in cash within a couple of months. Obviously that was an impossibility and would take the cost of our wedding way over our budget, also the fact that our wedding would be well out of the way of other guests we did not see why an exclusivity fee would be needed. At this point the communication became quite volatile with the hotel, the wedding co-ordinator stopped talking, there was no understanding or compromise to us and when we finally spoke to the Operations Director he was rude and abrupt and said pay the money or go elsewhere and then hung up the phone. Since then they have not made any attempt to contact us. Such a shoddy and un-business like way of working. A wedding is supposed to be an exciting time and within 4 heated phone calls the chiefs of this castle were smashing my dreams.

Before the wedding plans went south I had already secured a voucher deal for a two night stay at the hotel for the end of the year. My partner and I have now found another amazingly friendly venue and so we decided to not lose the money on our booking and attend anyway as a break.

The castle sits in beautiful grounds adorned with peacocks wandering. The reception staff are efficient and friendly and we were directed to our room, our basement room. I did wonder if us being on a voucher package meant we were given one of the less easily accessible rooms. The room itself was small but beautifully decorated. However under the décor the room itself had a few faults. . . It had no heating, heating was through the air conditioning and at best was temperamental. The bathroom's heated towel rail didn't work neither did the extraction fan, which led to water pooling after a shower.

As part of our package we had access to the spa facilities, we dialled the spa from the bedroom, but the phone had been pre programmed incorrectly and so my partner was rudely spoken to by a member of staff elsewhere in the hotel.

Following this my partner and I went off to the spa to be told on arrival that the hot tubs were out of order and we would have to try again another day. yet another disappointing blow.

Dinner in the restaurant was lovely and faultless. The food was beautifully presented. The only down side was that having an inclusive dinner in your package you don't expect to be told that there was a threshold for the dinner and if we went over £35 then the excess would be charged to our bill. . . either dinner is inclusive or it is not??

And finally. . . breakfast. . . The in room information book stated that as well as the continental and cooked breakfast there is the possibility to order (at a cost) additional items. But during two breakfasts this option was not presented, advertised or offered. Which is a shame. Instead we watched the poor waitress walk backwards and forwards from the kitchen to the hot trays with small amounts of food which wasn't enough for the queues of people waiting. . . What was needed here was large amounts of sausages/bacon etc being prepared for the peak times. I really felt sorry for the waitress, no sooner had she delivered the food to the hot plates it had run out and she was on her way back to the kitchen. A disappointing selection was available at breakfast which is a shame.

This hotel has lots of potential, the front of house staff are attentive and friendly. Unfortunately the public areas lack the love and attention and some areas seem forgotten and a bit lost in their purpose. It feels like the management here have lost the direction in which they want to take this hotel, which is a shame as it is a beautiful venue in a stunning location with lots of potential.

For me, I wont return but I am sure others will find happiness here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Michelle M
Ruthin_Castle, Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you Foghornleghorn for taking the time to put your experience on Tripadvisor. It truly saddens me to hear the issues you have pointed out and for that we would like to apologise unreservedly. We pride ourselves in the level of service we provide and we hate it when a guest experiences anything less.

I have today sent an email to your partner and we hope to hear from you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
The Quay Hotel & Spa
Pale Hall Hotel
Pale Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llandderfel
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel

Been to Ruthin Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!