“Weekend Spa Break”

Ruthin Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ruthin
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was a bit of a birthday treat. The hotel setting is beautiful, Ruthin itself a very picturesque town and the castle is set in wonderful grounds with roaming peacocks and castle ruins. The hotel itself has a real air of faded charm and elegance and immediately felt warm and inviting and homely with big open fires and large lounges with sink into armchairs. Our room was tastefully modern and very comfortable with a woodland view.

We dined in the hotel restaurant in the evening and was hoping to be blown away by the food (two AA rosette awards) but in all honesty the food was nothing special compared to some places I have eaten. After dinner we retired to a room with a big log fire burning and comfy armchairs for an Rum Coffee.

Strangely they had a fixed price menu with nearly half the items carrying a surcharge - a meal here can get very expensive and the pricing policy seemed to be a clever way of hiding the real cost. We had the full welsh breakfast the following morning which I can heartily recommend.

The Spa facilities were a little disappointing. Despite the hotel being quite busy we were the only ones using them and I think this was down to the limited facilities they offer. Compared to other local hotels such as Grosvenor Pulford and Hilton Chester the facilities fall well short. The treatments were good though.

Overall I have to give the overall experience 4/5. With a mark taken off for the spa facilities and the restaurant pricing.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,274)

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I bought afternoon tea for my wife as a gift - when i came to book the venue i chose had stopped taking the voucher. I chose Ruthin castle instead - was excellent. Book now! excellent venue, friendly staff and a lovely afternoon tea. I wont spoil the surprise but way it is served and the content is just lovely. And excellent value.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed at the castle hotel on a motor tour of the UK. Unique experience to stay in a castle. Good meals. Loads of history. Would love to do it again and spend more time exploring the castle and grounds. Room was quite nicely appointed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cymru1
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Dear Ruthin Castle

I booked your establishment for the evening of 2nd November and confirmed my stay £196 for a delux room - I was then advised by my girlfriend who looked it up to find the same deal on KGB at £129 - I was very disappointed to be paying £70 more than others having the identical experience - we arrived at 1pm for spa treatments which was great until we asked for the treatment we then could not find a member of staff for over 25 minutes, whilst we waited around in robes. I called the main reception and still nobody answered - mike eventually came and as not a spa operative could not help but at least started to clear the place up a bit . 3 other spa guests were waiting all looking for guidance and assistance.

We were then allocated our previously booked deluxe room 211 apart from the size there was nothing deluxe about the room - wonky / loose lamp shades tired interior crumbling rotten windows the room was very cold and the heating not working - I called reception numerous times with no response - eventually I got through to be advised the heating had just been turned on 6:30pm - i requested additional heating - nothing arrived . The very average bathroom had cobwebs on the window loose toilet roll holder which ended up on floor and damp around windows-

Dinner was fantastic and could not be faulted - The food and the service were excellent and so was the reasonably priced wine.

We arrived at breakfast at 9:30 no coffee no orange juice no glasses and no hot food - all the selection had run out - all of which was gradually replaced but only when asked for apart from the fried eggs which were like rubber - it was advised eggs three ways when there was actually only one rubber fried eggs soaked in oil.

I spent in total over £300 on one nights stay and apart from dinner I was extremely disappointed with all aspects of my stay .

2  Thank PeterSimon
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had booked Ruthin Castle through Travelzoo for £129 as an overnight stop on our way to Castle Deudraeth at Portmeirion. We arrived early to explore Ruthin and had our lunch in the bar at the Castle. We both had a sandwich, mine was salt beef and my wife smoked salmon. Both I must admit were filling. The staff are very friendly and helpful, not only in reception but throughout the Hotel. I must however mention our waitress in the dining room whose smile never left her face. Our room, 201, was clean and comfortable although, to our taste, the bed was a little firm. There are three wardrobes along one wall one of which contained 7 full width drawers. No shortage of storage space. The en-suite is narrow but contains everything needed with a large shower head over the bath with a glass partition, much better than a shower curtain. The dining room, Bertie's Restaurant, is welcoming with large chandeliers providing the light and the majority of tables were set for 2 people. The food certainly warrants the two rosettes awarded by the AA. The Travelzoo offer included dinner at £42.95 per person but the menus we were given was 3 courses for £34.95. My wife chose the Duck which had a £6 supplement and I chose the 8oz Sirloin Steak with a £6.50 supplement.

When booking with the Hotel I was told the breakfast was a Bakery Breakfast, which for a full Welsh breakfast would be an extra £12.75, although there were other cooked options at £9. The Bakery Breakfast is, of course, a continental breakfast with a wide choice of fruit, serials, bread, and a cheese board with grapes. More than sufficient for a filling breakfast.

2  Thank Wanderer74Wigan
Jo A, Front Office Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Wanderer74Wigan

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased that the castle lived up to your expectations. The team constantly strive to make each and every guests stay memorable.

We look forward to you revisting the castle again in the furture.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had this break booked for us by our children as a Christmas present.
When we arrived, we were supposed to have a welcome drink which we never got and had to ask for it later ! The room they gave us was on the 2nd floor and the lift was broken so we were given an alternative room. The room was really quite small and the bin in the bathroom had not been emptied ! Which was not a good start. The staff were really nice so that made up for a lot our break included full breakfast every day and were horrified about a week later bearing in mind I had spoken to the Receptionist over this and she said that the restaurant would be aware of this that our full English was included, to find out that they had charged my husbands credit card for 2 breakfasts !!! So he phoned and eventually they agreed to refund the amount, unfortunately this has left a nasty taste, which is a shame as the setting is beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elaine E
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have just had a short break in Ruthin and stayed in the lovely Ruthin Castle hotel.
Our room was very comfortable and clean. The bathroom comprised of a roll top bath, very posh!
The staff were friendly, approachable and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.The grounds of the hotel are lovely and they have squirrels and peacocks roaming around freely which adds to the charm.

The complaints (which came from my partner) was that the toilet rim was not clean.
And for some reason, the wardrobe light, which was not needed, came on at late at night and we couldnt figure out how to turn it off.
Late on the second night, some of the guests staying on our corridor were loudly arguing and allowing the door to their room to slam on numerous occasions which was unfortunate as it kept us awake.
Otherwise i would recommend this very interesting and historical hotel as a great place to stay and explore the quaint little town of Ruthin.

1  Thank forgotten1merseyside

Dear forgotten1merseyside

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Feedback is vital part of our business and as such is taken very seriously.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay at the castle. I would like to reassure you that your comments regading the bathroom have been passed onto our Head Housekeeper for her to implement new checking procedures, once rooms have been serviced.

kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
#1 of 2 in Ruthin
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
The West Arms Hotel
The West Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Llanarmon DC

Been to Ruthin Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!