“A lovely stay”

Ruthin Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ruthin
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Me and my husband enjoyed our stay at the castle. Staff were friendly and accommodating. They even provided us with champagne flutes for our own bottle of Champagne which we brought along ourselves for our wedding anniversary. Our room was clean, bed was super comfy and the bathroom fantastic and modern. Views out of the room were fantastic across the fields and river and the room was also very quiet. The welsh breakfast was superb with plenty of choices. We did use the Spa facilities which were good which added to the relaxing break. We did not expect the town of Ruthin to be so close to the castle which was just so practical as everything was in walking distance and no worry about parking cars in the town. So to sum up we will be back again to visit Ruthin and we will be staying at the castle again also.

1  Thank typofrutiger
Write a ReviewReviews (2,276)

Reviewed November 2, 2013

What was supposed to be a relaxing stay turned out to be anything but! The hotel itself is lovely, very atmospheric, and the standard room had everything we needed, but we appear to have arrived on a bad day (Halloween!). Great for hotel guests to have use of the Thermal Suite, but my husband slipped and fell on the wooden steps of the hot tub, which resulted in a sprained wrist, badly bruised arm and bumped head. The staff were sympathetic, and provided an ice pack and mopped the tiles to prevent other guests from injuring themselves. Accidents happen, of course, but had he been elderly or infirm this could have been v serious indeed.

Dinner was v nice, but the restaurant seemed understaffed and stressed; a couple who said they'd made a booking 6 weeks before were told they'd have to wait an hour for their table, and not treated v courteously, given it seemed to be the hotel's mistake. At breakfast there was a queue for tables - tables were free but stood uncleared for an extremely long time in front of hungry guests - and when we did get in we had to wait 40 minutes for a pot of tea - which was cold - and it was an hour before my husband finally got his cooked breakfast. Can't blame the waiters for this - they were lovely and v apologetic, but run off their feet; the hotel needs to operate on more than a skeleton staff. I didn't get a chance to mention any of this to reception - I ended up having to dispute an added charge on the bill; this is the first hotel I've ever been to where I wasn't asked how my stay was on checking out! I would have had to say disappointing - I doubt I'll be booking again.

1  Thank Melissa F
Jo A, Front Office Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Melissa F

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay at the Castle.

I am so sorry to hear about your husbands fall, and I do hope that he has made a full recovery. Your comments regarding breakfast have been forwarded to the relevant department and currently a new structure has been put in place to alleviate waiting times.

We continually strive to provide excellent customer service to our guests, unfortunately on rare occassions we do sometimes let our guests down. Should you wish to stay with us again, please contact me directly, I would like to restore your faith in the castle, and its staff.

Once again I do hope that your husband has made a full recovery

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 2 night stay for my partners 30th. We have felt truly spoilt. We booked an offer of dinner bed and breakfast and it was well worth the money.
Our room was large and clean with original features, there are some signs of wear and tear and old age... This is not to be complained about as you are staying in a castle that has been around for years..
The staff were superb on every level throughout making us feel very special.
We ate in Bertie's restaurant on the first night and had a 3 course meal, which was included in our package. The food and service was excellent,we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. If you choose certain items from the menu there is a surcharge.. As there always is in good restaurants serving good food. The menu served a good choice and the produce was fresh and well presented.
We ate breakfast both days, on the first day we upgraded to the full breakfast, again couldn't fault this. There was plenty of choice on the bakery breakfast, which is included also. We pre booked out full breakfast therefore got it cheaper than the menu price, worth remembering.
We also ate in the bar the following evening. Food again was lovely and we felt worth the money.
The spa.. What can I say, I wasn't expecting to use it however, after going down on the first day Emily greeted us and showed us round . We used all of the thermal suit and even went on the second evening to use it again and booked treatments. All of the staff were friendly and welcoming in there, definatley worth a visit.
We loved exploring the grounds and the hotel it's self. We will definatly be making a return visit soon. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank beepbird
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I spent a lovely night here for short break. The hotel is a very interesting building set in beautiful surroundings. It is also quite large and rambling, our room was a good few minutes walk from reception but it did make for peace and quiet. The room itself was clean and comfortable with all the expected facilities of a 4 star, it also had a good view of fields and hills. We took advantage of the room service menu the food was very good and reasonably priced. Overall we found staff friendly and helpful. If we had any niggles it would have been that more staff on reception would be nice (we had to wait 10 mins on checking in and out), also our phone couldn't connect to anywhere requiring a walk to reception to order room service. Oh, and the window in our room didn't close fully, good job we enjoy a bit of fresh air! Luckily these things didn't spoil our stay in what is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jo A, Front Office Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear pleasedtotravel

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and experience at the Castle, Please be assured that your comments have been passed onto our maintenance department, which have now been resolved.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We have just spent a lovely weekend at Ruthin Castle as we got married here and like to come back. It has a faded but wonderful grandeur about it and we love it. There are a few things Id suggest which I have to admit spoiled it for us. Firslty check the offers before you book. We ended up spending twice what we could have all because we didn't check! The restaurant is a truely a splendid setting but more than half of the meu attracted 'extra' cost as supplements. It added up to a stunningly expensive meal which was quite nice but not hugely special. Additionally at breakfast the welsh bakery was great and you didn't need anything else but if you wanted anything hot - poached eggs etc then it attracted yet another supplement! Staff at hotel were helpful but not enough of them when checking out and had to go and find someone to help as the queue was huge. Room was lovely but small and we kept banging our legs trying to get round the bed! bath taps leaked and others were wobbly. Sadly I am not sure we will be back to either stay or dine which is kind of sad...

1  Thank AlyHunter

Dear AlyHunter

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at the Castle. We here at the hotel apprciate all our reviews whether they are positive or constructive, we share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

I am dissappointed that you did not enjoy parts of your stay, and have passed your comments onto our Food and Beverage department and to our Maintenance team, regarding certain issues you had whilst you were here. I am pleased that you recognised how helpful our staff were during your stay.

I would like to thank you once agaian for your review as it is comments such as yours that help us strive towards our goals in quality and customer care.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We spent two nights at Ruthin Castle in Wales and toured the area using the castle as our home base. It was an absolutely delightful stay. The rooms are spacious, elegant, and comfortable with every need already addressed before you even reach your room. The dining room has an extremely unique dinner menu and the service is impeccable. Breakfast is included in the room rate. It was quite substantial, but a full Welsh breakfast can be ordered upon request.

Room Tip: There were six of us, and we booked rooms 121, 122, and 123. They are in a row along a quiet hall a...