“Could not have asked for more!”

Ruthin Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ruthin
London, United Kingdom
“Could not have asked for more!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Amazing start to finish! My partner and I had a 2 nights break here and we loved every minute of it! The hotel truly looks amazing, really well kept. I loved the surroundings, the gardens they have here are marvellous and, being an outdoorsy person, I really appreciated this.

Our room was nice and spacious, we liked it was kind of retro, going hand-in-hand with the castle. We had dinner at Bertie's, which I think is the nicest restaurant I've ever been to. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a warm welcome and shown to our table. The food was absolutely delicious, our compliments to the chef! The staff was very attentive as well, especially Theo, who went the extra mile in making sure we had a perfect night. And he was funny too!
Overall, a great experience and we'll definitely come back!

1 Thank Lauren C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
North Wales
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Music, food, visual, performance- a sensory feast!
I can't make up my mind if I experienced a wonderful meal with a great Medieval performance, or a great, entertaining performance with a tasty, novel, meal thrown in for good measure. Either way it was an evening to remember.
With experienced musicians on the Welsh Harp and Spinnerette, the songs (in English and Welsh) showed the talents of the hosts along with a chance for everyone to join in. The Jester was also a very capable magician who added to the wonderfully relaxed atmosphere.
I can't recommend this experience too highly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
uk
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a lovely time here in July attending a wedding. The room was clean and the food the night before although delicious was a little pricey. The hotel was very busy and stretched staff coped with the influx of people. There was a large coach of visitors staying at the time and unfortunately although we had booked our room almost a year in advance we found that we had been moved to a room at the base of the castle. We looked out over where the staff had their smoke breaks which may put some people off. The wedding banquet was very good and the experience very enjoyable.The one thing that let the wedding down though was the absence of the wedding planner ...you were missed Russell. Ruthin Castle stop messing with your most valuable assets. i,e your staff.

Room Tip: rooms upstairs although not all upgraded are more centrally located to the restaurants,bars and outd...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were bought a 2 night break including 3 course meal as a gift for our wedding. To start with when I rang to book it, I found the reception staff not very interested after I said I had a voucher booking and when I asked about upgrading the room to a royal salon, I felt a bit like she wasn't listening to anything I had to say. I was told I would get a confirmation e-mail, but that didn't happen. After a few days I rang again. This time I was given a booking reference but was informed that the room hadn't been upgraded, as I had asked but she would do this for me and it would be an additional £60 for both nights as we wanted to go in October and it wasn't that busy. I was also told that we would get a phone call a few days before our stay to confirm our booking and what night we would like our meal on. Again I got no e-mail confirmation or pre-phone call! So we rang to confirm our booking 2 days before our stay. On this occasion we were informed that we had been booked in a suit and not a Royal Salon as I had asked and where told that it should be £60 a night. I informed the receptionist that I was very unhappy about having to constantly chase them and get no confirmation. She also informed me that they were now booked up on the Friday evening so we only had choice pf 2 rooms which she would send me pictures of by e-mail. This very much annoyed me as I had booked this room well in advance. I was also told because we had a voucher for the meal we had to eat on the first nights stay (no where on the voucher does it say this!) and she said she would book a time down for us.AGAIN no e-mail came through. My husband rang them again and found they had the wrong e-mail address down, this is despite me spelling it for them.
Upon arriving at the hotel, checking in takes time and we found that there was no record of our meal booking , so we again confirmed this with the reception who said they would put this down at the restaurant. When we got to the room, we had been booked in a suit, not the one that we had chosen and been sent pictures of promising a bath in the bedroom and a view over the fields. We had a view of the woods and tree's and cobwebs hanging from the ceiling in the living room and not to mention a blocked bathroom sink. By this point I just couldn't be bothered facing the reception team to complain yet again. (My mistake........) As when I was looking at the confirmation card that they also give you at the reception, it had a different room number on it! We went for our booked meal at Bertie's. Upon arriving, there was nothing booked in for us and the lovely guy that dealt with us at the restaurant seemed quite embarrassed. We also had the nightmare then of informing him the mix up with our room. He had to take our key to the reception and sort it out with them. And indeed, the receptionist had given us the wrong room key!! Words can't even explain how annoying all this is when you are supposed to be having a relaxing break away. The restaurant waiter did apolgise for the mix up.The following morning we came down for breakfast and again the room number was not right and we where asked if we were someone else!!
Checking out was also a nightmare, after waiting to be dealt with for 15mins we had the unfortunate pleasure of being dealt with by the same receptionist that checked us in. We made a point of telling her that she had put us in the wrong room and hadn't confirmed our restaurant booking. Instead of just apologizing, she then spent time messing about looking into our booking and just responded with, did I do that. Still no apology!!!
I to be honest found the whole experience of dealing with the booking / reception team an absolute nightmare and they greatly let the hotel down!! No apology was made, no there's a drink on the house for our mess up!
The service from all the staff in the restaurant is wonderful and the grounds and the beautiful peacocks are fab, if you can get passed the very very poor and bad mannered front of house team!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Thank Fleamonster07
stockport
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I visited Ruthin Castle yesterday to celebrate out 18th wedding anniversary. We arrived early with a picnic and asked at reception for a guide of where to walk to . The lady not only photo copied a local map but gave us instructions of where to walk. When we arrived back we were able to check in and were extremely pleased with our room. Other people have complained on here that the refurbished rooms were not very good but we did not find that to be the case . The room was very much in keeping with the style of the period with chandaliers and large fire place. We enjoyed the Spa and then went out for dinner to see a bit more of the local town. Upon our return to the Castle a party was in full swing and they invited us to join the live band for some dancing. We fell into bed much later into sumptuous quilts and didnt wake until almost ten. Breakfast was continental but was more than adequate. Check out was a little lengthy but that was due to a large number from the party the night before leaving . Cant wait to return

1 Thank johnnywhitts
Jo A, Front Office Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Johnnywhitts

Thank you for taking the time to post your view regarding your recent stay at the Castle, we here at the castle do appreciate all reviews whether they are positive or constructive, we also share them with the whole team on a regular basis.

We were glad to welcome you here for your 18th Wedding anniversary and all the staff appreciate your kind words, particuarly regarding your bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back once again

Kind regards
Stotfold, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

A group of senior librarians at our annual get-together and astonished by the venue: an old castle, with Victorian main building, in a superb setting - commanding views over the village and hills - excellent gardens, crumbling ruins. The staff are very attentive, rooms are comfortable, the whole place has charm. Food was good (with occasional exceptions), and drinks are not over-priced - what else could we ask for?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband took us for a romantic stay at Ruthin Castle for our wedding anniversary in September 2013, it was also an emotional journey for me as we were following in my parents footsteps, as I have recently lost my father so we decided to make our own memories just as they had done, the staff were aware of this fact and couldn't do enough for us making our experience twice as special, we were lucky enough to stay in a beautiful suite called the Lilly, pure opulence fit for royalty, in the evening we were booked to go to the Medieval banquet what an exceptional night with brilliant staff and excellent entertainment and what beautiful memories we have been able to make, my expectations we were high going to Ruthin and they were fulfilled ten times over, I'm now so excited to book our next stay I can see us returning time and time again and I truly hope to pass this legacy to my adult children for them to do in the future...... The grounds are exceptional the wild peacocks the shear beauty of this castle in all it's splendour is not in our opinion to be missed, thank you to the entire staff for making our stay magical hope to see you all again VERY SOON
Steven & Tracey Lonsdale

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Doodie4158

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Castle. we are really pleased that you both enjoyed your stay and that the castle has left you with some very fond memories.

Your kind comments have been passed on to all our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle to add more wonderful memories.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
#1 of 2 in Ruthin
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Waterloo Hotel
Waterloo Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Ruthin Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!