“A bit disappointed overall..”

Ruthin Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ruthin
Burton on Trent
“A bit disappointed overall..”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had high expectations having read the other reviews but were a bit disappointed overall. Glad we got a reduced rate on the room as the restaurant was quite expensive and lacked ambiance and whilst the food was fine it wasn't anything to write home about. Breakfast was also just fine. The room was very nice but the hairdryer didn't work and I had to ring twice to get them to bring a replacement. Overall not really good value for money in our opinion.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Manchester
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Excellent value for money, huge room wonderfully warm in what was a freezing time outside. Breakfast was very good, we didn't try the cooked breakfast as the buffet gave a wide choice and was very filling.

Hotel grounds were lovely to walk around in and I imagine an excellent place to hold events. Ruthin is a pleasant little town and made a good base for travelling in north and central Wales.

Definitely go again.

1 Thank leelynda0027
Connah's Quay
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We attended the wedding of Mike and Alli on Saturday the 23 March. Hotel Lovely, room was perfect, but that's what you should expect for the £95 per night rate. But the staff's attitude was despicable. From insulting the Bride to keeping my 3 year old and 16 month old out in the snow crying, for a fire drill whilst you left others drinking in the bar is disgusting. When asked if we could come in it was a no, until my husband pointed out there were people stood 25 feet behind the staff in doors with a pint in their hands!! Only then we were allowed back in! To top it all off the wedding coordinator who's apparently management, called one of the wedding guest a fat [--] to another member of staff in ear shot of my 16 month old!! If he doubts this, my husband was stood on the stairs whilst the speeches were being made as my daughter would not settle. Shame he did not see him!
I felt sick paying the bill this morning, and even when we complained, no gesture of good will was made. We will certainly not be returning here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Leah H
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had traveled quite a ways to get to the castle and because we had given ourselves plenty of driving time we ended up arriving an hour early for check in. We checked to see if our room happened to be ready - it wasn't so we went into town for lunch and walked around the castle grounds. We came back at check in time and were told that house keeping was running behind and it would be another 45 minutes before our room would be ready so we sat down to wait. After about 20 minutes the receptionist told us that there was "something wrong with out bed, it needs to be fixed and I don't know how long it will take" so offered us an afternoon tea, which was nice of her, but we were so tired after traveling that it was a bit frustrating not to be able to go take a shower and relax. we sat for about 2 hours waiting to be told our room was ready before I finally went back to reception to see how much longer it would be - There was a new receptionist now and she said "oh, it's been ready!" - we have no clue how long it had been ready for while we sat waiting. Finally up in the room I went to go get a drink of water and both cups were smudged and had greasy finger prints all over them like they had been used, so I instead picked up one of the tea cups to use and found some trash stuffed inside the cup (including a McDonald's receipt dated for the day before). The power went out in the whole hotel twice- I realize it's an old hotel- but a bit frustrating when trying to relax and watch TV. I realize I sound very picky- I'm really not, all my other hotel reviews are raves- but this was our big 'splurge' of the trip and we paid extra for one of the Royal Salon rooms (Jennie) so I was expecting luxury and great service!
Thankfully from there things got better - the bed really was comfortable and the room was nice and dark at night. We chose to do the Jesters Feast and had SO much fun! I highly recommend the feast, the entertainment was great (Jester was hysterical) and the food was wonderful. Only draw back was that they only served wine (my husband and I don't drink wine) and we were disappointed that there wasn't beer served like the website said. But they brought us coke instead so we were happy with that. We brought our own costumes for the feast which was fun, there was one other group wearing period costumes but the majority of guests were in street clothes so you'd be fine either way. If we ever came back to the area we'd skip the hotel but return for the jester's feast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We returned to Ruthin, where we had been married 3 years earlier. The rest of the hotel had been upgraded in the interim and we stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms. The room was beautiful,well set out with a feature bed, sitting area, and lovely bathroom with corner bath. However, there was a few things: the bath had not been sealed properly so water came down the back wall and there was a large wax stain on the carpet.

We used the spa whilst there. The spa itself was lovely and we enjoyed our treatments. However, the staircase leading down to the spa has clearly not had any attention paid to it. Walking down you feel as if you are in a cleaning area of somewhere you should not be and not en route to a luxury spa. This really needs to be rectified as it puts a dampner on the experience.

We had two meals in Bertie's restaurant. The restaurant itself is beautiful, the chandeliers being a real feature. Overall the food was good. However, i felt that they were trying too hard with some aspects without really having the skill or understanding about what they were providing. For example the Amuse Bouche was bland and did not stimulate the taste buds, whilst the thai fishcake was clearly a british fishcake and did not have the appropriate ingredients to be titled as such.

We do love Ruthin Castle and some of the things that are slightly off do add to the quirky nature of the place. We will definately be back.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

just returned from a birthday weekend with my husband, and have enjoyed every minute of it, fab location and castle, room was a little on small side but beautifully furnished and made use of every inch, bed was 2 3ft singles together and we had a bit of a roll effect in middle but apart from that, there was nothing to complain about and loved having the added extra of a fridge to keep our wine and milk fresh

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for my birthday on 6th Feb in the 'Jennie Room' - its decorated to look like an old fashioned library with a huge sleigh bed, large victorian windows & a double bath for 2 people. Absolutely lovely hotel room with beautiful castle grounds to explore. They even had the old style metal shaft lift! The only let down was the food menu - hardly any choice & quite expensive. Definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
#1 of 2 in Ruthin
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Waterloo Hotel
Waterloo Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Ruthin Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!