“My Wedding at Ruthin Castle”

Ruthin Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ruthin
Reviewed November 6, 2007

My husband and I spent the weekend of October 13th at Ruthin Castle for our wedding, along with just about all of our guests. I must say that if I hadn't already seen the property for myself, the unbalanced negative reviews would have put me off somewhat.

Fortunately, we had already visited and our high expectations were more than fulfilled. Everything about our very special wedding weekend was just perfect, idyllic, and the staff (Russell and his team) were truly wonderful. Every single one of our guests, (most of them very seasoned international travellers,including ourselves), remarked on what a stunning and unique venue the castle was for our ceremony and reception.

I can honestly say that it was utterly dreamlike, and we were so sad when finally we had to say goodbye to what had felt like OUR castle for the weekend! I cannot recommend the castle and its staff highly enough. Sure, the rooms that are awaiting renovation are are not so grand as the Lilly Langtry suite (my home for the weekend, and simply splendid!), but still far preferable to the bland, soulless welcome of many corporate hotels that you find yourself in around the world.

If what you want is robot - like service, and a Disney-esque, phoney castle without any signs of the hundreds of years of history that the building has seen, then this place isn't for you, though you'll be the loser.

But if you consider yourself one of life's romantics, and you appreciate individuality, character and a real experience when you travel, then treat yourselves to a few nights in a very special place. Open your heart to it, and you'll be richly rewarded.

Lisa Worth and Steve Rowan.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank showqa

Reviewed October 18, 2007

Wonderful setting, within walking distance of Ruthin town itself. Fabulous gardens and ruins dating back to at least 1500's. Atmospheric public areas, grandly decorated. We did stay in a room that had yet to be refurbished ( but we were aware of that when we booked), so expected furnishings to be worn etc. Room was large and decor wasnt too bad at all.
Disappointed at breakfast when there wasn't enough smaller tables, and we had no option but to join a rather hung-over wedding party on a table for 12!!
All in all, excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jansedge
Reviewed October 7, 2007

This castle is a dream! My husband and I were married in Denbigh near Ruthin this August. We have no connection whatsoever to Denbigh but begged the lovely priest to marry usat his lovely catholic church because we had fallen in love with Ruthin Castle.

From start to finish, the staff were accomodating and very kind. Russell Pickering, the events co-ordinator, helped us to organise our day and really went the extra few miles to make sure it all ran smoothly. The reception staff were so helpful that we were compelled to buy them a bottle of wine to thank them for the service they gave to our guests. I cannot recommend this venue more highly. It was beautifully presented, the food the night before and the day of the wedding was delicious and our suite was gorgeous. Many of our family stayed in the castle and were treated very well. The refurbished rooms are delightful and the rest of the rooms look set to be of the same high standard. I can't stress highly enough that those who have written bad reviews seems to have stayed in the unrefurbished rooms and I wish they could return and experience the castle the way we did.

We had so many compliments about the day and the venue seemed to be the crowning glory. So much so that we have already booked a little break away for later this month to enjoy the castle again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HappyBride108
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I was looking for a UK break with a difference - where I could relax and be entertained. Somewhere with history and romance and I found it in Ruthin Castle.
With Beautiful grounds that we were free to explore and wander around with battlements and a moat and peacocks everywhere it was wonderful. The interior is just as you would expect a castle - with suits of armour and some modernisation to make the stay luxurious.
We had a large room with a 4 poster bed, breakfast was a included feast and the drinks in the bar, affordable and served by impeccably dressed staff.
We booked to stay over and attend the Murder Mystery Evening and had a thoroughly great time. The entertainment was okay unbfortunately delayed by the late arrived of some guests who had booked to take part!, but the food was exceptional if you don't mind getting stuck in medieaval style!.
Ruthin Castle dates from before 1277 and dominates the historic Welsh town of Ruthin, close to Chester and Llangollen. It's within easy driving distance of the North Wales Coast, Snowdonia and picturesque Betws-y-Coed.
The castle sits in its ancient walled dry moat within acres of private landscaped gardens, parkland and woods alongside the River Clwyd.
I would thoroughly recommend it to everyone, young and old!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CountryHopper
Reviewed October 1, 2007

What can I say... As newly weds travelling from Australia on their honeymoon, one has very high expectations staying in a castle for a vast sum.

The room immediately had a mouldy smell on entry. My husband and I called it the "dungeon" as it was locked away in the deepest, dankest corner of the castle. Room service was pitiful, the staff had better things to do with their time and the "piesta Resistance" involved a severe case of food poisoning for my husband after eating a steak in the ridiculously expensive hotel restaurant (the meal I ordered but couldn't eat because of the bad smell) We were booked for 3 nights but left after the first out of sheer disgust.

I rarely write reviews but warning is in order for others who have preconceived notions of staying at Ruthin Castle.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacko32
saintclaire, chairman at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2007

we are sorry that these guests were unhappy with their stay, but the castle has been continuously increasing standards and it is unhelpful for current guests and potential guests to find reviews posted in october 2007 relating to a stay more than a year before.

these guests were the only ones claiming food poisoning on the night of their stay despite other guests eating the same meal.

they also chose one of the lower rate unrefurbished bedrooms but even these rooms comply with the AA 3 star standard.

Reviewed July 29, 2007

We spent a night at Ruthin Castle in July 2007, and did not quite know what to expect, especially after reading the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor.

I have to say, I cannot recommend this place more! It was delightful.
The staff were helpful, friendly and very professional without being intrusive. The room we were allocated was gorgeous - very tastefully refurbished, and sympathetic to the building. The location was great
- being set in its own grounds ( complete with peacocks!) but a short
stroll from the centre of Ruthin. The breakfast - which was in with the price of the room - was superb, and extremely generous.

The only potential downside was that we noticed on arrival there were
2 weddings booked in over the weekend of our stay. However, they did not impact on our visit at all - except for having to wait at the top of some stairs whilst the bride had her photograph taken! I would
really recommend this place for a romantic break - its got great character, not to mention the odd suit of armour!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank amanda-s
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Got a great price through laterooms for just one night to break a journey. Went for an "exec" room after reading reviews here and it was really nicely done out with an exceptionally comfortable huge bed and lovely view over the grounds. Enormous plasma TV but poor analogue TV reception so not much point! Bathroom nicely done out although a little small.

A real adventure to stay in a proper castle with corridors to explore, suits of armour and big comfortable public rooms. Had a drink in the octaconal bar and then dinner which was one of the bext meals I have had - if a little pricey. Worth it though. Breakfast was also very good.

I'd strongly recommend this to stay in so long as you will enjoy the quirks like loose fitting windows as "character"!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrighousePete
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
#1 of 2 in Ruthin
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
#1 of 2 in Conwy

Been to Ruthin Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!