Holt Lodge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsafternoon teasandwichesbeefsunday carverysoupwaiting on staffthrough grouponmain roadcooked to perfectionbooked a tablenice rooman overnight stayan evening meallovely foodthe ground floorplenty of parkingone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2012

A very nice receptionist let us book in an hour early as our room was ready and she set the standard for all the staff at this hotel, we didn't meet one who wasn't polite, friendly and professional. Room was clean and tidy and the linen and towels were good quality, same can't be said for the one ply, very rough loo paper! Evening carvery was good value but bar prices not so good. Breakfast wasn't too bad for the money but we've had better.. didn't get a choice of brown or white toast.. we got white, literally it was very white not toasted just a bit crispy!

What wasn't so good was the fact that a wedding party had taken over the restaurant and bar area with loud music pumping out so nowhere to sit and have a quiet drink in the evening. Not sure if it was the wedding guests but the second floor was like a noisy railway station until at least 3am and then the neighbours from hell either side of us didn't stop shouting, swearing and slamming doors until about 6am. Needless to say we didn't sleep at all that night which really spoilt our weekend away.

Would we stay here again.. yes but not on a weekend and definitely not if a wedding party were being accommodated.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the road but that wasn't a problem at the weekend. If you're fussy about your loo paper bring your own as this hotel's is terrible!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
richard1982, General Manager at Holt Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Many thanks for your comments.

I fully take on board your comments about the wedding being moved into the restaurant area. In future all guests will be told if this is the situation, and also an area will be created for any guests wishing to have a relaxing drink.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip last week and was pleasantly surprised with the standards.

I had to find the place in the dark but it's well lit from the road which helped as the great British weather was at its best and I had to battle through full force rain!

There is ample and well lit parking in the picturesque gardens and the reception is a short walk away (if you park around the back).
The receptionist was very welcoming with a big smile and the initail impression was that of a personal service which can be a rare thing these days.

The hotel is very relaxed with a mix of modern yet cosy decor, lots of areas to sit and a well-stocked bar.
There was a lovely aroma from the very popular 'Carvery' and the food looked very inviting.

The double bedroom had everything necessary for my stay and the bed was lovely and comfortable and all was spotless clean!
The shower pressure and temperature were good and I liked it that there wasn't any un-necessary toiletries provided (enough for the occupants though).

The hot and cold breakfast buffets were plentiful and everything looked appealing- I only tried the hash browns and bacon but both were lovely- also plenty of toast was supplied and good strong tea.
Again, the waitress was very friendly and made me feel very welcome.

Check out was swift and given with a cheery greeting for departure with consideration gave if directions were needed etc.

If I'm ever in the area again I would be delighted to stay here and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My parents were staying here overnight and we were looking for somewhere to meet up and have a meal so we tried out the restaurant at Holt Lodge.
After hearing from numerous friends that the food was great we thought we would try out for ourselves!
Well we were not dissapointed, the food was excellent. My parents opted for the cavery but I ate off the al a carte menu (Pork) wow, could not fault the taste and presentation. Service was attentive and good value for money.
I have already told alot of people about our experience and will taking my husband their next month!
10 out of 10.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Located on beautiful grounds though ackward to get to if not driving.

Stayed during a friends wedding, as they hosted the reception of which the service was second to none as staff mantained a high level of service for what was a very busy day.

I would recommend this for other occasions too, restaurant menu was great as well as the bar. Great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed for one night, the room was comfortable with an excellent shower. We only had breakfast at the hotel, and it was very good and in a very relaxed restaurant. We would be happy to stay again and have the evening carvery which looked very good. The Bar area was a comfortable place to finish off the evening. Our Wi-Fi connection worked very well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple