“Typical seaside hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Trearddur Bay
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Typical seaside hotel”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Slightly above average but doesn't give me that choice but not quite in the very good bracket. No real complaints our suite was quite acceptable with views across the bay from our balcony. Bed very large and comfortable and decorations okay if not too modern. Although I would like to have seen a flat screen TV in this day and age, the bathroom although acceptable wasn't nothing to remember. No seats on our balcony both our neighbors had whicker seats although we easily used one of the bedroom seats. The kettle worked intermittently but I guess until someone complained about it the hotel wouldn't have known. We where there for a wedding which was really nice and any of the staff we came into contact with where always friendly and polite. Breakfast was good being hot and cold buffet but cannot comment on the restaurant as we ate at the Harbor Front Bistro in Holyhead harbor which I totally recommend (see my separate review) being only 10 mins and £7 away in a taxi.

Room Tip: I believe some rooms may have been updated / modernised ask for one of these.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Reviewed September 20, 2013

What a hole redecorated rooms were done by bob the botcher and the undecorated rooms were dirty damp and smelt booked two nights for family function but only stayed for one take my advice and stay somewhere else or take your own cleaning fluid and two sets of ear plugs one for your ears and the other for your nose

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank welsheggy
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just had two days here. Lovely weather on Saturday so the Island is lovely. good little beaches, walks and coves to explore. The hotel is very. Good food, very nice staff. Our room was basic but clean and comfortable. I think some of the rooms due for a refurb.

Room Tip: Maybe make sure your room not directly over bar area if you want an early night. Don't forget yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Holyhead, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have eaten here a couple of times in the past few weeks and I have always found the food excellent. I have eaten in the Inn on the Bay and not the more formal restaurant but I assume the food comes from the same kitchen. As I said the food was always hot and well prepared and cooked and served in a reasonable time. The prices are typical pub / bar costs, I had the fish and chips and it was excellent. I found the serving staff to be well presented and attentive and everything I requested was dealt with in a fast and efficient manner. Although the duty manager looked a bit strict and unwelcoming she did eventually say hello and asked if everything was ok. I will defiantly be returning to sample more of their hospitality seeing as I only live 5 minuets down the road. As for the décor looking drab and dated I did not find this to be the case, obviously I only went into the bar area and not into the main part of the hotel. I do however feel that the actual cost of staying in the hotel is a little expensive for what is ultimately a three star hotel but they do have a bit on a monopoly when you look at what other hotels there are in the area.....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew F
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here for a special occasion. Nothing special about the room, number 2. On the plus side, the room was spacious, the bed was extremely comfortable, good supply of tea and coffee making supplies and the bath towels were very large and soft. There was also a furnished balcony with a lovely sea view. The shower was also excellent. The negatives - not sure where to start. The décor was dated. The curtains were sun damaged and fraying at the edges. Cobwebs on the ceiling light fitting and patio door. The large picture window was covered in finger marks and the floor was uneven in places.
The main part of the hotel was modern and decorated to a high standard. I did get to see into some of the bedrooms overlooking the front of the hotel, these looked like they had recently been renovated and looked very nice, some with four poster beds. I would have preferred to stay in one of the renovated rooms, however, when booking, the website does not explain which ones have been modernised. Breakfast was buffet style and there was an excellent selection of food. The staff were also very polite and helpful. Had wanted to try this hotel for some time and would consider staying again, but only if I could be guaranteed a modernised room.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the updated rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ewilliams057
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We've eaten in the pub many times over the last few years but were very disappointed with this latest experience. The decor is looking dated & drab & we felt it would benefit from a bright fresh refurb.

Our table was at the back & it was dark, grubby looking and it was hot & stuffy. The tables in the conservatory area feel a lot lighter & brighter and create a better ambience.

We ordered starters which took over 40 minutes to arrive and the amount in the portion of mussels was extremely poor. Main courses were run of the mill, and we felt were over priced for what the were - we were expecting more of a gastro experience but got the usual mass produced stuff. Shame as the hotel is so close to the sea that fish & seafood does not feature that much on the menu or even as an evening special.

The management also needs to address the awful drainage problem/smell in the ladies toilets - this was dreadful.

Not sure we will bother paying a visit here next time.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Lottilou17
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend in August the hotel was really busy, we had a lovely seaside type room which had not been refurbished but was clean and pleasant and not that dated. We ate in the bar on Saturday night at around 6 o'clock, the food was delicious and the service excellent. The swimming pool seemed popular but fortunately the sun was shinning and we spent our time on the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Lastra Farm Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Trearddur Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!